Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New DCA E-Ticket idea

ok, so im watching the travel channel right now, a program on amusement park rides, and they talked about a new wooden roller coaster built in a park in Wisconsin. What I found interesting about this coaster is that a lot of the ride actually takes place underground (the ride is themed to the greek god hades, lord of the underworld).

I don't know why I had never thought of it before, but this ride proves that the technology is our there to build an underground woodie, so I thought to myself, why not make a new coaster at DCA (which only at the moment has one, a steel one at that), one which takes place primarily underground? The major hills of course would be above ground, providing weenies for the area, but most of the action would be underground. Right now I'm thinking either a mine train gone wild, or a logging mill operation (showing the dangers of eccessive logging, conservation, etc) type theme, placed in the redwood trails area.

what intrigues me most about the underground idea is the potential to tell a story during a roller coaster, complete with AA's, music, etc during the slower portions/chain lifts of the ride.

now normally I only like to propose ideas that i feel are at least somewhat realistic/plausible to be installed in the parks, and i know this ride would never happen so i appologize for that, but it is space effective, since most of it would be underground, would be unique in that there are no woodies in the DLR and it would be able to tell a story, non movie tie in.

what do you all think? any ideas to improve that rough idea? theme? location? characters? post your ideas here!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• With my wife....

Re: New DCA E-Ticket idea

I keep saying they should make a Gold Rush ride like this. I had envisioned a test-track based ride like "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in Tokyo, but either that or a woody coaster would work. There's a whole lot of space in the old parking lot just screaming for a big shiny new E-ticket ride!

But you're right.... this kind of ride will likely never happen. Seems they're taking the park in a "different direction" these days. Maybe if we could get Pixar to make a Gold Rush movie, then we could get a Gold Rush ride?
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    Maybe if we could get Pixar to make a Gold Rush movie, then we could get a Gold Rush ride?
    Yeah, and then they could do an epic trilogy of movies about dark rides and doublewide strollers AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic
    ok, so im watching the travel channel right now, a program on amusement park rides, and they talked about a new wooden roller coaster built in a park in Wisconsin. What I found interesting about this coaster is that a lot of the ride actually takes place underground (the ride is themed to the greek god hades, lord of the underworld).

I don't know why I had never thought of it before, but this ride proves that the technology is our there to build an underground woodie, so I thought to myself, why not make a new coaster at DCA (which only at the moment has one, a steel one at that), one which takes place primarily underground? The major hills of course would be above ground, providing weenies for the area, but most of the action would be underground. Right now I'm thinking either a mine train gone wild, or a logging mill operation (showing the dangers of eccessive logging, conservation, etc) type theme, placed in the redwood trails area.

what intrigues me most about the underground idea is the potential to tell a story during a roller coaster, complete with AA's, music, etc during the slower portions/chain lifts of the ride.

now normally I only like to propose ideas that i feel are at least somewhat realistic/plausible to be installed in the parks, and i know this ride would never happen so i appologize for that, but it is space effective, since most of it would be underground, would be unique in that there are no woodies in the DLR and it would be able to tell a story, non movie tie in.

what do you all think? any ideas to improve that rough idea? theme? location? characters? post your ideas here!
    I know alot of your coaster happens underground and you yourself said space doesn't work, so kudos for saying that, but even if there was space I think it'd be a really limited amount and that would kill any chance of thrills in the coaster.
    I like the idea of a Gold Rush ride, but I've always loved that rumor of WRE in DCA. One of those made up rumors that I just think would be great.

• The one, the only...

What the original designers of DCA missed was that this park could have as much as Disneyland even if it had a smaller amount of land. That is because you could layer the park. At WDW, it is well known that under the MK there is an entire world for support of the park.

DCA could have been designed the same way. I know that the Paradise Pier area was basically designed to "look pretty" for the guests of the Paradise Pier resort. What the designers could have done is built an entire ride under the "prettiness."

If Disney designers ever get around to re-doing a major section of DCA, particularly the Paradise Pier area, I hope that they think 3 dimensionally and built UNDER as much as OVER that spot.

I think then the adventure like you saw on the Travel Channel could be incorporated, hopefully with a California theme.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

i really like the gold rush idea, but im afraid there would be too many comparisons to BTMR across the way...

pretending that there were pleanty of room, i would like to see this dream of mine placed in the redwood trails area. where better to put a wooden roller coaster than in the middle of a redwood forest? heck, if you insist on a movie tie-in, you could even go for a brother bear theme, with the idea being that loggers are destroying the redwoods around us, we gotta race against time to get the rest of the bears to join us in stopping them. i dunno, thats a pretty lame idea, but hey, ive never claimed to be an imagineer and im tired lol.

perhaps I'll be able to think of something better tomorrow.....

• Banned User

They should make a gold rush type land having to do with mining. But what do I know, Pixar seems to be more important to them. It really is a shame how easy it would be to turn around DCA if they would only let the pixar ideas fall by the way side and focus on what California is really about. There are very powerful themes they could tap into.

The big thunder comparison would not happen because regardless of that it would feel different and have different types of rides. Fronteirland feels more like a midwestern theme rather than a western theme. I am thinking more along the lines of a claim jumper type setting. If the attractions and themes are amazing people will not think to compare the two.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 04-24-2006 at 10:14 PM.

• Banned User

Hmm.. where could they build a small highly themed woody? (Wooden Roller Coaster) Is there enough room anywhere that they can build one.. It doesn't have to be a Gwazi or a Hades but it can be like a smaller, maybe an out and back, and the under ground (Hades is under the parking lot) portion could be where a major show scene happens...

• Rawr...

As for space... tear out the Brothe rBear Discovery area. The kids have stuff to so in A Bugs Land and Playhouse Disney Live already... they dont need another playground.

Dont get me worng, I love Brother Bear, but it doesn't need its own land.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511
    As for space... tear out the Brothe rBear Discovery area. The kids have stuff to so in A Bugs Land and Playhouse Disney Live already... they dont need another playground.

Dont get me worng, I love Brother Bear, but it doesn't need its own land.
    As longas they then tear out the lame-o Chew Chew Train and put a climbing attraction like Brother Bear (appropriately themed of course) in its place. The kids stuff in Bug's Land is fun but I LOVE the Brother Bear area. And I'm certainly no kid!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

The only thing that comes to mind with the feasibility of a underground attraction is that California has faults and thus earthquakes. Not saying it couldn't be done with all the retrofitting and concrete reinforcements but the cost would significantly go up and not to mention the increased risk to guests of the park if a earthquake were to happen. Granted you could argue a building could collapse just as easily, but something about the ground collapsing down or imploding upon itself seems a lot more devistating. I tend to think that is why there isn't a vast network of tunnels under Disneyland and I'm not sure if there are or are not under DCA.
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

• With my wife....

Umm... I could be wrong here, but aren't the POTC and HM show buildings considered "undergound"? Also, (and any CM's out there can back me up on this), isn't there a CM cafeteria somewhere beneath POTC?
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    Umm... I could be wrong here, but aren't the POTC and HM show buildings considered "undergound"? Also, (and any CM's out there can back me up on this), isn't there a CM cafeteria somewhere beneath POTC?
    They are consider to go under the train tracks, but the show buildings are not underground.

• Banned User

I did mean if you need to go under, you fake under like WDW..... but doesn't CA also have a subway system??

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    I did mean if you need to go under, you fake under like WDW..... but doesn't CA also have a subway system??
    well if you consider BART a subway system, then yes, they have the #1 subway system in the world. I'm not aware of any others in CA though.

The underground idea for rides I think would work for either this sort of idea (woodie coaster, to greatly help conserve space) or something like journey to the center of the earth (a ride i think would perfectly fit into DCA, especially if the story-line were changed slightly to explain the purpose of the mission you are about to embark on is to study/prevent earthquakes).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast