Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Matt Overated? Changes at the top certainly trickle their way down but it has been interesting reading these forums, with soooo many congratulating Matt for 'revitalizing' the park.

First, I'd like to bring this interesting quote from one of Al's updates waaaay back when (1998):
    "Also in the meeting, T. Irby mentioned that Pressler wanted him to have the Park "so pristine that Walt would walk down the street proud" by 2001, but that he convinced Pressler that "the 50th anniversary would be a more doable date." [Al's note: What's with not painting the worst areas just for now for goodness sakes?] "
    Tagging along with that is another update from 1998:
    "At the Entertainment Expo recently, Creative Development showed a diagram of a rigging device that would allow Tink to fly "up" from Frontierland (her current landing position), hover around the castle, then shoot up to the Matterhorn to light the fireworks. If anything replaces the current Tink, it may be something along these lines. I like most propeller heads here online love new technology - but in this case let's hope they keep a fine park tradition going."
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update2.htm

Second, Main Street and the castle went under extensive refurb some 9 or 10 years ago? Major work was done on Main Stree facades, such as replacing rotting wood with durable fiberglass. Certainly until recently, the upkeep hasn't been the greatest.

Third, I've noticed that good changes in the park get credited towards Matt, but 'bad' things are directed towards someone else, as if Matt was infallible. Case in point, the discussions of the Dole Juice Bar outside the Tiki Room. The bar (at one point) closed at 5. Who gets blamed? The folks who run foods!

I suppose my point is that there is soooo much currently taking place in the park was in the works long before Matt took the reigns.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by TSI-Anaheim
    I suppose my point is that there is soooo much currently taking place in the park was in the works long before Matt took the reigns.
    Then its one hell of a coincedence that his arrival as the head of Disneyland just happened to conicide with a massive overhaul of the park...Most of which could have easily been done between 2000 and now and still maintained it's "glittery" form for the 50th. If Pressler had in fact been more concerned with the 50th, we would have seen small changed inacted over the last few years. As it stands he was not, he in fact was a guy with ubber retail experiance.

It may not be Matt's doing. It may be a whole bunch of managers and advisors who had been held back during previous administrations. If however Matt let them run free and supported there efforts, then in fact he does deserve credit as a man with better leadership and vision then Pressler and Harris and that is why he is the right man for the job.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    All CM's even execs (although I doubt most wear theirs anymore) have nametags, at least that's what they told us at orientation. I have seen lots of people at TDA in suits with nametags.
    I love visual aides...Note the nametag adorning his suit. Hmmmmm

• Senior Minion

I think there are some people who think Mr. Ouimet walks on water; and there are some people who will look at him and say, "Well, he can't swim, then, can he?"

Certainly the recent changes for the 50th would not have happened (or not have happened to the extent they have) under the previous management, who would have given us a crappy parade, an equally as crappy fireworks show, more poor maintenance, and a bunch of merchandise. It was clear that something had to be done.

Let us hope that the money that came out of corporate for the 50th pays for itself with increased attendance and buzz about the park. Or at least comes close.

I'm sure there will come a time where people will be disappointed; all fame is fleeting. Hopefully he's got another two or three years to prove himself before the hordes of e-ticket starved junkies becomes a deafening roar.

• Banned User

Kiiick A$$$$$$

Yeah, well, um... I heard, that Matt Ouimet, he like, single-handedly saved a busload of sick orphans from going over a cliff by grabbing the rear bumper and pulling them to safety. Then, he cured their illnesses and found them all homes, and families. And then, a bunch of mountain lions attacked them, and Matt Ouimet fought ‘em all off with his bare freakin’ hands. And then, without even a recipe or an oven, he whipped up and baked a perfect pineapple upside down cake to feed them with while he pulled their bus three hundred and fifty miles over snowy mountains to safety. And I also heard, that Matt Ouimet, he like, invented chocolate.....

Now do you think he’s overrated???? He’s only like America’s greatest hero since Brian Boitano.....

• Minion

For one thing... it was my understanding that Matt was deliberately chosen because the previous administration's plans for the big Five-Oh were lack-luster. What he has done regarding this is spectacular in comparison, yes, but it's a little like hiring Ken Jennnings to win a gameshow, and giving him all the help he needs to win it. It just seems to me that he is doing what most of us would do if we had our chance at running the park. It's a good thing, but it's hardly miraculous.

For another... what happens to the park once the paint is dry and the summer is over? Every new ride is Pixar Pixar Pixar, clone clone clone, and the occasional Pixar clone duo. HPB and the Incredibles will just make DCA even more of a mess than it currently is, and then you add Nemo subs and Woody's Frontierbland... bloody awful. No amount of paint will ever fix the previous administrations' Pooh, annd the Pixar fever that continutes under Matt seems to be leading to Pooh overflowing the honeypots.

So, while I appreciate the paint, I'm going to reserve judgment to see what kind of new attractions will come to the table.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    All CM's even execs (although I doubt most wear theirs anymore) have nametags, at least that's what they told us at orientation. I have seen lots of people at TDA in suits with nametags.
    I work in TDA and I everyone I see wears a name tag. Seeing a Director, Executive or Manager without a name tag is a very rare sight indeed.

My point is, it's just a name tag and we all have to wear them and we all do... even the suits. Yet no one freaks out because I put my name tag on every day just like all the other TDA employees.
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Hey, now that sounds like a brilliant idea for a CousinOrville avatar.
    Holy crap! Now THAT I wanna see!
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TSI-Anaheim
    Third, I've noticed that good changes in the park get credited towards Matt, but 'bad' things are directed towards someone else, as if Matt was infallible. Case in point, the discussions of the Dole Juice Bar outside the Tiki Room. The bar (at one point) closed at 5. Who gets blamed? The folks who run foods!
    There's a special thread at MousePad to request things of CM Matt. One of which was extending the hours of the Dole stand. And lo and behold, the hours have been extended. Did we ask Food CMs to extend the hours? No, We asked CM Matt.
    (Was it a coincidence? Maybe!)

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    ... and giving him all the help he needs to win it. It just seems to me that he is doing what most of us would do if we had our chance at running the park. It's a good thing, but it's hardly miraculous.

For another... what happens to the park once the paint is dry and the summer is over? Every new ride is Pixar Pixar Pixar, clone clone clone, and the occasional Pixar clone duo. HPB and the Incredibles will just make DCA even more of a mess than it currently is, and then you add Nemo subs and Woody's Frontierbland... bloody awful. No amount of paint will ever fix the previous administrations' Pooh, annd the Pixar fever that continutes under Matt seems to be leading to Pooh overflowing the honeypots.

So, while I appreciate the paint, I'm going to reserve judgment to see what kind of new attractions will come to the table.
    Couple of points, as I have read (wasn't it a Al article?) that Matt didn't get any
    new budget to fix the 50th initially. He's had to scrape funding to get the paint
    and the rides in. (some of the rides is more accurate) So I give him an his team credit for that. Also the reported new emphasis on maintenance and the reorg of
    the maintenance teams should be commened. (Does anyone have info if the
    ride's uptime has increased?)

Having said that (and I think he's doing a very good job so far), I also don't think
    he's doing anything miraculous either. He's doing things that you expect of a
    very good Disney suit to do (walk the park, be a CM, work on the attractions, etc.)

• Rock Star Minion

I think he got the money from revenues not originally in the budget (or were they?). Higher fees for APs and ticket prices, while he cut back on a discount program.

Hey, we're not used to someone in charge caring about the park. It was eight years (?) of pain and misery.

• Disneyland Freak

Considering that the 50th at DL has drastically changed from "New fireworks and a new parade" I'd say all the praises are well deserved
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Dan, Al, and myself discussed this at dinner last night. While Disneyland is getting into shape for the big 50, it is at least in part at the expense of WDW. Disneyland is getting all the budget and maintenance TLC that it needs, while WDW slowly rots away in the humid Florida heat.

Disneyland will look beautiful under all that gold paint for the big birthday, but what happens after that? Will the park still be maintained? Will we get fancy new rides that push the envelope? Or will the gold paint just slowly flake away while the park gets more and more "Pooh" and a lot less "Splash"?

These questions remain to be answered. Things look really good for us right now, we can only hope that it stays that way. The one thing that we know for sure is that MiceChat will be right here to keep the spotlight on Disney if they start to backslide.

-The Dusty One
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Hey, that's not Rose!

I didn't read all the posts on this subject, but Matt did come from head of the Cruise lines right? From what I have seen on tv and heard from friends that have gone, those ships are AMAZING! I think they picked him to run the resort because he has a taste for the excellence Disney provides. I think even if he had come in 5 years ago he would be doing the same thing, because he knows what the Disney name means to so many. Thank goodness for him I say.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Random Thinking

I don't know...I think the t-shirt thing is funny, a creative outlet...

Lots of good things are happening now, and it is nice to give praise to credit where credit is due...and it is nice to express our sincere thanks and happiness at the improvements in the park...and Ouimet just happens to be a source for that.

For now, its important to acknowledge the wonderful job that is being done, and to remind those in charge that there are die hard Disney fans that are willing to support anything that is being done to keep and preserve Disneyland in all its glory and intention...

Its been such a long time to have anything to praise...

Let's face it, we still aren't getting anything spectacular (by way of, say, e-tickets....) but Matt did what he could with his limited time (and budget?) to make the 50th something to be proud of. And we love our park to be taken care of, and we love it to be defended, as Matt seems to be doing.

Let's face it, it seems that this new era has breathed life all over. Cast Members *seem* happier, and that carries over into how they treat guests...and this is coming from somewhere...

Matt is the represenation of a lot of hard work, by a lot of wonderful people.

SO in my opinion, keep on the praise...
    525,600 minutes...how do you measure, measure a year?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast