Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Santa Barbara, CA

In defense of Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    I can't even name a show that's on ABC.

So I guess running a network that has programs that are not memorable is better qualification to run DisneyCo. than someone who runs Disneyland - and successfully I might add.

Try Desparate Housewives and Lost.. 2 of the hottest shows on the air. While it's true, Bob didn't champion them, but they are huge and on ABC.
    Bob Iger is dismantling the strategic planning department, which is akin to disbanding the Gestapo. Oh, and who do you think Matt had to convince to spend all of that rehab money? Bob Iger...and then Bob had to sell Eisner. In my book, he's doing fine so far. Time will tell.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Try Desparate Housewives and Lost.. 2 of the hottest shows on the air.
    I know this is off topic but you forgot to mention Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and the newest success, Grey's Anatomy, who's audience is unexpectedly growing each week. There is also your successful standbys, like The Oscars and Monday Night Football.

I am just pleased that these new shows are big hits and they are NOT reality shows. I think America was starved for some good dramatic programing.

Now if only they would move Less Than Perfect and Boston Legal to time slots that would allow them to flourish, they'd be in business!
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Try Desparate Housewives and Lost.. 2 of the hottest shows on the air. While it's true, Bob didn't champion them, but they are huge and on ABC.
    Bob Iger is dismantling the strategic planning department, which is akin to disbanding the Gestapo. Oh, and who do you think Matt had to convince to spend all of that rehab money? Bob Iger...and then Bob had to sell Eisner. In my book, he's doing fine so far. Time will tell.
    OK - I believe my daughter watches Lost. But no one else in my household watches a single one of the shows mentioned. Sorry - I guess we don't hang out with the "popular" kids...

OK Bob is dismantling Strategic Planning. It is yet to make a difference, give it time. It might be one big, good thing.

I thought Matt had to convince Jay Rasulo, who had to sell Eisner... I didn't know Bob was in the loop then.

• șoș Tom șoș

OK - I believe my daughter watches Lost. But no one else in my household watches a single one of the shows mentioned. Sorry - I guess we don't hang out with the "popular" kids...
    Stick with me pal, I will introduce you to all the cool kids who drink in the ally after school and watch the best tv at night! God Bless Tivo!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Since I got attacked for suggesting the AP program got trimmed, I was suggesting cutting out the lower levels, not the higher ones. Someone else suggested the higher ones. Doing that would be bad, business-wise, since the people who pay for the Premium APs are usually the Disney hardcores who practically have their paychecks deposited into the parks.

OTOH, the people on the lower tiers are the locals who typically aren't as dedicated to the park, don't spend as much on Disneyana, and would just go take up space at Universal instead if the AP became an exclusive high-priced item.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I thought Matt had to convince Jay Rasulo, who had to sell Eisner... I didn't know Bob was in the loop then.
    You're right, Matt has to convince Jay (only after convincing all the finance folks at WDW) then Jay and Matt have to convince Bob, and he has to sell Michael. Bob has been #2, so everything is filtered thru him first.

Like you, I don't watch those ABC shows either, but the rest of the country does
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by fearsnda
    .... There is also your successful standbys, like The Oscars and Monday Night Football.
    You can't be sure of Anything anymore....
    --------------------------
    From April 18, 2005
    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) --ABC's venerable "Monday Night Football" telecast, which ushered in a new era in televised sports coverage on its debut in 1970, is moving to ESPN in 2006, according to a published report Monday.

------------------------

True, Disney owns both of the networks, but it's going to be very strange watching Monday Night Football on something other than ABC.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Since I got attacked for suggesting the AP program got trimmed, I was suggesting cutting out the lower levels, not the higher ones. Someone else suggested the higher ones. Doing that would be bad, business-wise, since the people who pay for the Premium APs are usually the Disney hardcores who practically have their paychecks deposited into the parks.

OTOH, the people on the lower tiers are the locals who typically aren't as dedicated to the park, don't spend as much on Disneyana, and would just go take up space at Universal instead if the AP became an exclusive high-priced item.
    Again though, that's why they have blockout dates. Entertainment and tourism venues typically offer discounts during off periods because it's better to have something than nothing. So, rather than depend on full-priced admissions for these times, why not have an AP program to keep people paying for parking, buying concessions, and checking out Downtown Disney? Plus, it's like in advertising. A Penny Saver can be free, because it increases circulation, which is what sells the paper's REAL bread and butter -- ad space. When Disney keeps the park full even during off periods, they have to spend less on other forms of advertising for their own products (like its films, their merchandising, ABC, and others), and they have better attendance numbers to attract corporate sponsors for things like new Innoventions exhibits, new and elaborate fireworks shows, and even brand spankin' new rides. And that's good for everyone.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

If Matt was only doing this for the 50th, then why all the long-range planning for the park going on? And if Matt was only doing this not to be fired, then why has he been tirelessly negotiation for more capital?

No, he's as genuine as they come, or he'd have made his "I'm always available to you" rounds with the cast members and then sealed himself up in his ivory tower... which hasn't happened.

• The one, the only...

Opinion is still out

I think that Matt looks like a god next to his predecessors, but time will only tell if he really can bring back the magic. So we have Buzz which is a good D ride. We might have the subs back which we will have to see how well they pull it off. Other than paint and maintenance which should have been done by the previous regime, we will have to wait and see.

The test will be if he is able to bring non-movie related rides back to Disney. If he does, then he really is a savior to DL.

I am just not ready to make Matt a saint just yet!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678