A few possiblities:
- Disney is secretly working on a major refurb of the attraction and Mr. Menken is working on a new soundtrack for it
- Maybe they're finally moving the country bears into the grizzly mountain at dca, and Mr. Menken is working on some new songs for it, like they already have with the critters in Splash Mtn and he wanted to ride the original Splash Mtn. for research
- They're adding Splash Mtn. to Disneyland Hong Kong, and Mr. Menken is working on that and wanted to go on the Splash Mtn that's closest to him for research.
- Menken is working on a Splash Mtn. movie and wanted to ride it for research
- Maybe Mr. Menken was visiting the park just for fun and since he's done so much great work at Disney, he gets the VIP treatment.
Most likely, it's the last theory, but all of these that I've posted are possibilities, although some with small chances of actually being true.
I say the Country Bears will be starring in a remake of Little Mermaid. (Picture Big Al..."Part of your wooooooooooooorld." No? )
I have to admit that despite my joking manner about the purpose of Mr. Menken's visit, I am nonetheless intrigued to have seen him there a. alone, b. during one of the busier weeks of the year, and c. looking mighty focused on something (let's just say he wasn't on a leisurely stroll).
Not that it means remotely anything at all; but, it is fun to muse.
And as far as picking him out of the crowd is concerned, you're practically begging to be noticed with one of those plaid-laden Disneyland ambassadors at your side.
But the "plaids" are all over the place and rarely do I see someone that is identifiable. The last person I saw with an escort was Lisa Kudrow. And then we saw Corbin Bernson eating lunch, but just with his family. And then we saw a whole group that was with an escort, and didn't know who any of them were!
It's not like Alan Menken is on a television show or anything. That's what I'm saying. He's obscure and stuff. Good call on your part!