• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Disney Resort Trip Report: 4/26/06

What a day! Got to the park around noon with the intention of having a great time and snagging some VMK quest goodies. Rain had been forecast but never materialized. The park was not very full and we walked right up to an empty turnstile. First, to Tomorrowland. VMK computer was down so we got SM fastpasses and headed over to Star Tours which was a walk-on. I've read lots of postings about deteriorated film quality. It looked just fine to me. I was struck by the fact that this attraction is about 34 years old now! People who weren't even born when it opened have graduated from college, married and have brought their own kids to Disneyland during that time! Headed to Toon Town but the Roger Rabbit line was too long so we backtracked to Buzz. On the way, we peeked at the Submarine Lagoon. It's drained again and there were a ton of workmen busy down there. All eight subs were visible. It was like seeing old friends again after too many years. I cannot, for the life of me, get past level 3 on Buzz... but it's still fun. Then onto SM. I do love that ride! Fantasyland was pretty busy and the Peter Pan line was way too long so we went on King Arthur's Carousel. When it was our time to ride, there was a loooooooong delay. Turns out, a small girl... about 6... had just ridden and instead of getting off, went straight for the Golden Horse to ride again. The CM went over to explain that she must let someone else have a chance. The child emitted a wail comparable to a combination of: fingernails on a blackboard, car alarm, screeching tires, a cat whose tail has just been stepped on and bagpipes. Dad was a wuss and just stood there. Finally, the little darling was removed and we boarded the carousel. Gepetto joined us for the ride! (He has a little trouble mounting his horse. He hadn't reckoned with the fact that his character shoes were way to big to fit the stirrups! He finally managed to swing a leg over the horses backside and hoist himself into the saddle.) Then over to DCA. Walked right up to the turnstile, but the park was really pretty full! Had a sandwich in the Hollywood Backlot the headed over to ToT. Line too long. (How jaded we AP holders get! Six people in line? Nah. Let's go somewhere else! OK... it was a 15 minute wait.) Got FPs for Soarin' and headed to Screamin'. NO LINE! Rode the back first... got back in line and rode the front! After a "pick-me-up" at the Cove Bar, headed to Soarin'. Wanna have a thrill sometime? When you're on Soarin'... lean way over and look down to see how high up you are! Bought a loaf of sourdough bread in the shape of Mickey Mouse and headed back to Disneyland where we also bought one of those exceptional pickles! It's late afternoon now and the park is getting fuller. Went to the VMK kiosk to turn in our quests and load up on virtual goodies. Hoo Hah! I gotta deck of cards representing some mighty fine pixels! Since we did four quests, we got FPs for Indy and SM. We headed to Frontierland. BTMR was a walk-on and we got the front car there. With some trepidation we headed off. (OK... maybe that was a poor choice of words.) HM was also a walk-on... as it was the last time we were at the park. What's going on? I like the enhancements but how expensive is new scrim material? Then over to NOS. Spent some time listening to the party at the hotel on the other side of the tracks. Spotted the mast and sails and marveled that I had never noticed the hight cupola with the flag. That's the great thing about Disneyland! Ya go there for 50 years and still see new stuff! Then headed for Indy. That is such a fun ride! (FPs were wasted, though. Another walk-on) Then back over for another turn on SM. Got the front row here too! SM is sooooooo much more fun in the front row! By now it's about 8pm. (If it sounds like we haven't done a lot of rides... it's OK. We also spent a lot of time just soaking in the atmosphere of The Happiest Place On Earth. We shopped a lot of shops and tossed coins into Snow White's well.) Time for dinner and a nightcap at the Uva Bar. We have a favorite bartender, Justin, at Uva. Tonight was his night off so we missed him until: Vic spotted him as a customer! He spotted us and came over to say hello and chat. That was nice. Then to the parking structure. We were just to the top of the escalator when we heard the booms of the fireworks show. We went up to the roof to watch. What an experience! I had no idea that the large shells were launched so far to the north of the berm in the TDA building area! It was a great show from our vantage point. The booms set off about a dozen car alarms. About eight cars on the street below pulled over to the side to watch the show. One car lowered his convertible top to watch. BOOM BOOM BOOM! My sympathies to those who live in the area. Those fireworks are LOUD! Then the day is done. 45 minutes later, I'm home and typing on Mice Chat.
    Last edited by Tom Chaney; 04-27-2006 at 07:54 AM.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Merry 2014!

Re: Disney Resort Trip Report: 4/26/06

Thanks for such a great trip report!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Great trip report
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Disney Resort Trip Report: 4/26/06

Awesome trip report-Thnks for sharing your wonderful day with us! I am so glad you had a nice time.

I bet it must be fun to have a character ride a ride with you like in the commercials or postcards!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    I was struck by the fact that this attraction is about 34 years old now! People who weren't even born when it opened have graduated from college, married and have brought their own kids to Disneyland during that time!
    I think you mean roughly 19 years old...

Great trip report, Tom! The lack of paragraph breaks made for an interesting read. I felt like I was looking at Allen Ginsberg's Howl for the Micechat set. Quite exhilirating...

• Senior Minion

Tom, loved your article no matter which way you wrote it. I enjoyed hearing about the somewhat easier experience you had after the 2fer wave was over. Thanks for the report!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Disneymom

loved it. Great time was had by all.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan
    I think you mean roughly 19 years old...
    You're right. Sorry, miscalculated. We were putting it into the early 70s rather than into the late 80s.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• For You!

Your report just gets me more and more antsy for my trip!! Only two more months!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!