Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Merry 2014!

Re: A Thought. Actually a Question.

I wish my family got along at Disneyland, but they don't. Last time we went as a family (my brothers and sisters are all grown), we absolutely couldn't stand each other.

When we were little, we always got along at Disney though. Maybe it was because my parents taught us public manners and we knew that if we fought, we would go home in an instant. My parents also knew to take time outs during the day which helped enormously to calm down the tempers. I wish more parents would do the same these days.

Maybe the park just intensifies ones true feelings of the day. I don't know why some families seem to bond and others don't while in the park.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• decorating

this reminded me of something my mom saw. There was a girl who was probably tired or afraid and didn't want to go on a certain ride (I forget which.)
    The dad was yelling and yelling at her, and dragged her onto the ride. The girl was in hysterics.
    No matter how many happy families I see, I always see some kind of kid/parent meltdown that is so sad. Disneyland is too expensive to take casually these days.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

My sister and I were at our worst when we were at Disneyland with our parents. Time was limited and Disneyland was a rare treat. Put a 6 year old and an 8 year old in the happiest place on earth for 6 hours and watch the fireworks (in our attitudes). She'd pull my hair if I suggested a ride that she didn't like. I'd steal her cotton candy if I thought she wasn't sharing. My mother would threaten to take us all home if we didn't stop fighting. My dad would finally grab us and walk us all out fo the park early, screaming and crying. On the way home I'd tell my sister that she ruined the happiest day of my life and she'd dig her finger nails into my arm to draw blood.

Ah, the happy memories of my youth.

Yes, Disneyland can really bring out the best in families . . . But not mine.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Shablagoo!

As best as I can remember my family all got along when in the park. Of course since we're from Washington it was a huge treat, a once every 5 years sort of thing. My younger sister and I always got along, which in those days was rare. I'm sure there were probably isolated incidents, but nothing that sticks out.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    So the Happiest Place on Earth makes some people crabby?
    With rude crowds, heat, bad show viewing, and insane prices, how about miserable.

• Disneymom

I look at it this way. Everyone who goes to Disney should be aware that there will be crowds, cranky kids, parents and such and if you are not prepared to deal with that and still have a good time then maybe they should try something else. Disneyland was built so parents and their kids can be together no matter how their attitudes are. Walt didn't say " all who come to this happy place welcome, except those with strollers and cranky attitudes and cranky kids. He said ALL.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Depends on the individual(s) and the situation.

Even the people that love Disneyland most can have their day ruined.

I went to the park at the end of last summer...I don't remember all of the details, but, well, a lot went wrong. It was a lot of disappointment and then heavy irking from crowds, like moms driving their strollers over my feet and not even flinching. It was the first time I wanted to leave the park in my whole life...think I cried too, and I'm almost in my 20s.

I blame it mostly on crowds. If the park is crowded, you're space is, firstly, invaded. You have issues going on rides, eating, doing anything at the park in a timely pace. It tends to be worse for kids, as they're smaller and the adults don't notice them at all. The parents have to watch the kids and because of the crowds the kids are more fussy and easy to loose. It's a feeling of rush...when deep down, you need to just rest and take a deep breath. But our society doesn't encourage rest, it encourages productivity...so everything has to be done ASAP. So, everyone has their own agenda in the park and all the variables clash.

That's why I like the off-season. Especially if it's a once a something trip.

The people that do behave better at the park, go to the park with a great attitude and nothing can phase it. It's a mental thing..."It's Disneyland, everything is perfect and nothing is going to bug me today because this is awesome."

• CM for 4 years!

I've heard oh-so-many a parent at the park, pulling on their kids' arm and under-their-breath growling, "We're at DISNEYLAND. Be HAPPY."
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It seems that the negative family moments that people witness and experience at the parks are surfacing here in greater numbers, than the wonderful memories that other families have.

• Huh?

Well, as for me, my sister and I were always too concerned about having fun to fight. So, we might've a little bit (we always went for a couple weeks at a time), but not as much as usual.
    -Tim

• Neep meep beep

I think it's because Disneyland is a huge mood booster. Every morning this week, I've walked over, entered the park and got on the monorail in my suit and tie, and I instantly start feeling better. Everyone is so nice, even in some cases greeting me by name now (the Monorail staff is getting used to me and my constant questions), and it's kind of nice to be with the tourists at the "Happiest Place on Earth".

Disney might want to consider a new slogan: "We're better than Prozac"!

I got to agree and dis-agree!

Agree - Disneyland has the ability to make families very happy - it provides all the opportunity to have a wonderful time!

Disagree - People make it suck!!! Sport Utility Stroller wars, people who have eaten themselves into obesity renting scooters and running over your feet, ANSWERING CELL PHONES ON RIDES!!!, parents working scams to cut in lines with there kids, people with video cameras walking around taping the entire park without noticing they have stepped on you.

I was in the long stand-by line for Space Mountain only a few feet from a woman decked out like a extra in a britney video with two kids who were fighting and terrorizing the line....... she was on her cell phone for 30 minutes breaking only to weakly parent them by yelling "stop" every once in a while. They finally ran away and she had to hang up and try and chase them around the center area to get them back in line only to go back on the phone.

That same trip I was relaxing on a bench with my wife in the center and a woman in a velour track suit and her daughter walked up to the center and you could tell it was her daughters first time seeing the castle. She kept saying "Mommy, Mommy the castle! the castle!" Her mother, on her cell phone said "Stop it, can't you see I'm on the phone" - The girls face showed how crushed she was and I almost cried to be honest.

• Disneymom

I now that for me Disneyland is pure magic. Yes, there are some bad things that happen but the good out weigh them and that's what counts. When we went last June my 5 yr old had just gotten hearing aids for both ears 6 weeks before. We were told that she will be deaf by adulthood. Well, when we got into the park we saw Cinderella and she held my daughter and started signing to her. My daughter was very shy about signing since it was so new to her. But here was Cinderella signing and that made it great. I started crying and my daughter was excited and started showing everyone what the sign for Cinderella was. That was pure magic that can never be topped. By the way, the sign for Cinderella is to make a C with your hand and circle it in a circular motion in front of your face.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom
    I now that for me Disneyland is pure magic. Yes, there are some bad things that happen but the good out weigh them and that's what counts. When we went last June my 5 yr old had just gotten hearing aids for both ears 6 weeks before. We were told that she will be deaf by adulthood. Well, when we got into the park we saw Cinderella and she held my daughter and started signing to her. My daughter was very shy about signing since it was so new to her. But here was Cinderella signing and that made it great. I started crying and my daughter was excited and started showing everyone what the sign for Cinderella was. That was pure magic that can never be topped. By the way, the sign for Cinderella is to make a C with your hand and circle it in a circular motion in front of your face.
    Oh I hope that you have many more wonderful moments of Disney Magic with your daughter. I am pretty sure that you will, because you seem to have the greatest attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom

You know its true, for everyone of the bad stories there is a million good ones. Sorry I was so negative in my previous post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12