Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

• Donalds younger brother

So what if it is a flop?

So potc is changing. For better or wrorse. Now we know the older ones anyway what potc has been and the feeling you get everytime you ride it. Yes I know there have been some changes since its origianl opening. But from what I can tell and have heard the whole feeling of the ride is changing. Disney is in kinda in a weird place. Now we know kids will love the new version because most will have probley seen the movie first. Now I am not bashing it yet, I am going in july and then I will see. But what does disney do if it bombs? The origianal will always hold a place in my heart. So my quesion is what if it stinks? You know disney will not hear the end of it from us older folks. Do you continue to keep the Jonny Depp version or bring the orignal back. Because I can tell you if it looses the feeling, the awe I get from it, I wont be able to ride it again. And that will be a sad day.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: So what if it is a flop?

Does it really matter? I can't recall ever watching Ichabod and Mr Toad, but I love Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I enjoyed Cartoon Spin before seeing Roger Rabbit. Mission: SPACE seems to be doing well despite being catalysted by Mission to Mars. I am willing to bet close to 99% of the people who ride Splash Mountain have never seen Song of the South. The attraction is seperate from the movie.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Does it really matter? I can't recall ever watching Ichabod and Mr Toad, but I love Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I enjoyed Cartoon Spin before seeing Roger Rabbit. Mission: SPACE seems to be doing well despite being catalysted by Mission to Mars. I am willing to bet close to 99% of the people who ride Splash Mountain have never seen Song of the South. The attraction is seperate from the movie.
    Great post.

Also, even if the second film bombs, it isnt going to change how people feel towards the first film and its characters

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I think it does. To me when you change someing it on a ride your saying its outdated or boaring or in need of fixing. None of witch potc needed. Like the saying goes if it aint broke.......

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Pirates is being changed for the same reason it was added to Magic Kingdom. The movie was a phenomenon and Captain Jack is now forever linked to Pirates, probably even pirates in general. The even better part is that Dead Man's Chest is a sequel and people are used to lousy sequels. Do the Jaws sequels hinder Jaws from being the phenomenon it was?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Of course, when it gets quiet, someone has to create drama with a POTC thread

The changes will be fun and in the spirit of the ride...Jack Sparrow embodies it in the film (and I'm sure he'll continue to do so). The movie didn't flop like HM did because it didn't rely so heavily on the ride. You'd see a little piece here and there, and if you didn't know the ride, you did not get the inside joke, but it didn't make the film any less to the individual. It can stand on it's own two feet. So can the ride. That's why this is a brilliant merger. Let's not forget that Johnney Depp went to the Oscars for his performance. This newer generation is going to love it, and the ride will continue to live on.

Give it up, seriously.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Great post.

Also, even if the second film bombs, it isnt going to change how people feel towards the first film and its characters
    MasterGracey, I believed he was refering to if the ride bombed, not the movie.

My question is though what does disney do if it does flop?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Then do what they've done since the days of..no, not Eisner, but Walt, tweak it until it's right.

First off I am not trying to create drama. Simple quesiton is all. I just wanted peoples insite on what they would do if they were in the postion disney may be in.

• Banned User

Also note, I think PotC could have just been updated with cooler figures, more town scenes (meaning a new channel) and color effects (sort of what they are doing now with this refurb). PotC was a great movie, but I just think it'll just get boring seeing Jack every time you ride. He's a great character, but his goffyness during the end of the movie really bugged me. I know Pirates is suppose to be fun and careless, but I just hope it isn't ridiculousy silly- especially during the 1st segment (caves, Captain's Quarters, etc.). This part needs to be serious in order to set up the idea that Pirates had a hard life and most of their troubles ended in death. I hope we don't lose that in this 'new' ride cuz of Jack. It needs to be serious, at least before the Battle scene.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by misterp102778
    My question is though what does disney do if it does flop?
    They'll leave it. Look at the Pooh ride. If they're making new recordings and putting all this money and effort into a top-notch project, they're not likely to just dump it all. Someone might argue RockIt Mountain, but since it was only half-done and not of the same quality as the Pirates upgrades, I would not find that to be a fair comparison.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

A Disney Dreamer, you need to go look up everything you can on Marc Davis and pronto.

• Launch sequence engaged

I'm not sure what you mean by the ride being a flop. I have a hard time believing the ride would draw no lines, unless everyone hates it. It would be rather weird for this ride to not attract an audience, as they aren't castrating the ride.

However let's just say the ride "flops", and becomes the Superstar Limo of Disneyland. Maybe Disney is not getting rid of the props and characters that are in the ride (I don't want to see them on eBay), and they could restore many of the old props from the pre-restoration. Disney would likely make some tweaks to the new ride should it be a flop.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    I know Pirates is suppose to be fun and careless, but I just hope it isn't ridiculousy silly- especially during the 1st segment (caves, Captain's Quarters, etc.). This part needs to be serious in order to set up the idea that Pirates had a hard life and most of their troubles ended in death. I hope we don't lose that in this 'new' ride cuz of Jack. It needs to be serious, at least before the Battle scene.
    I think people need to sometimes re-read Al Lutz's article.

I don't know, a skeleton eerily having pieces of flesh suddenly appearing on him sounds serious to me...

As for the caves, I wouldn't consider them to be totally serious. A forever-drinking pirate is serious? Giggling men and women in the background? Turning the corner and having the eyeglass right at the skeleton's teeth? Sound like gags to me

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast