• No marbles to begin with!

Ride safety systems

I'm going to do an informative speech on ride safety mechanisms on theme park rides and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get info on the Disney attractions. I need info on anything safety related and I'm leaning more for the main attractions. (i.e. Indiana, Space mountain, Screamin, and the TOT.) Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was gonna try looking for those signs on the attractions that say something like "certificate for operation" but wasn't sure if they would help at all.
    My campus elevator smells like burned hair and won't drop faster than the pull of gravity, no matter how much I scream.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Re: Ride safety systems

i am pretty sure you can go to city hall for this info.....

Don't forget Knotts Berry Farm. There are probably a lot more issues, there, what with Ghostrider, Silver Bullet etc.. than Disney.

Lol yeah, I know about Knotts, but I didn't want to ask about it in a Disneyland forum. XD
    My campus elevator smells like burned hair and won't drop faster than the pull of gravity, no matter how much I scream.

• That's interesting.....

The certificate signs just say that you can view documents related to the "Certificates Of Compliance" at City Hall. Not sure how much it would help, but it might give you some interesting filler information for your speech. Also, try looking up some news stories about accidents on rides. I'm sure there'd be some information on safety mechanisms in there. Good luck on your speech.

• Ok time for cocoa

When and where is your speech going to be given. Can we come. Is it free.

What information are you looking for, or questions do you what answer.

Have you tryied ACE (american coaster enthusiast) or NAARSO (give me a minute I'll remember what it means) ( National something Amusment Rides safety officers? Ok I don't remember) or ASTM (ok got this one, American Society for Testing and Materials, astm.org) F-24 Standards on Amusement Rides and Devices. Of course I have my copy.

My speech is on the 9th and it's for my oral communication class so it's a class only thing, sorry XD. I'm looking for anything related to the safety systems on ride. Things like how their brake systems work or how the computers know when something has gone wrong.

I remember hearing something about the california screamin tracks being hollow and under pressure so that if one were to crack they would know. things along that line. I think I read it in one of the many return of california screamin threads a long time ago.

Wow! Thanks for all those recommendations Ranger Rick!

Both California Screamin and Space Mountain have hollow tubes (which i think all steel coaster do i think) and there is air pushed through the tracks. when the pressure drops to a certain PSI, they know that a specific area of the track needs repairing because of cracking. In addition, for Space Mountain specifically they have features known as anti-roll backs which basically does just that. They are used on the lifts. they allow the vehicle to move upward, but not the opposite direction so as not to hit the other vehicle in the rare rare instance the chain broke or the vehicle gets dislodged from the chain lift. furthermore, the coasters feature brake zones. basically, there are areas of the track that feature brakes... they are specifically laid out in distance and the computer will not allow a vehicle enter into a "zone" until the other one has left to ensure that if the car did stop or reverse for some reason, it would not run into the other one. for instance, one car is going through zone 8, the car in zone 6 will not be let into 7 until it clears 8. although, the timing by which they are dispatched ensures it does not happen... when it does, the ride is stopped forcing all brakes to close. ummmm im trying to think of more safety stuff. lock out procedures for entering a ride area... so if there stuck on the ride, they must put there id on a lock attached to the control panel.. ride can not be started or cars moving while there locks are on... the person holds the key so when they get back they are accounted for and the ride can begin again. emergency stop buttons are located for ride operators to stop the ride or "station stops" for just stopping motion in the station. ummm, also they use "trim brakes" to control the speed of the car to ensure there is a safe and comfortable ride. in SM, they use these at the end so you don't speed into the station too fast on that tight non banked turn. restraints obviously... i cant think of anything else.