View Poll Results: Heelies: love'em VS hate'em

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • love'em

14 13.21%
  • hate'em

55 51.89%
  • don't really care, they're just shoes that cause kids to be dangerous moving obstacles

37 34.91%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• madaboutdisney

Re: Poll: Heelies....

they're ok if kids use them appropriately and at the right places. (disneyland being not one of them) i hate it when kids are rolling down the middle of my street (which is downhill) with those things when cars are around. and when your in a grocery store and you have to jolt your cart because a kid with heelies are passing through.

I can't stand these. I haven't seen kids using these at the parks, but they are dangerous and rude. Kids rolling through people, maybe in front of those needing assitance. This is a place people come to experience magic and excitement, maybe once in a lifetime or every week, I think these shoes should be left at home or the skate parks. walking through IKEA once, crowded as it is, I found them to be the most hated item amongst mall and store owners, a kid shouting and rolling, I say to myself he is going to fall on his back. Sure enough he does. It is a dangerous thing, I think they should not banned but ask people not to use them. Imagine if you're in a crowd of 10,000 heading towards the exit after a parade and you just keep getting bumped...

• For You!

Never had heelies, but how much fun would it be to rollerblade around Disneyland or DCA when the park was empty!!! I do it daily if they'd let me. I still think they need to open at 5 am for a walk track or something!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Down Pluto!

Adults should wear them and bowl over kids using them and the parents who let them. Then we could just smile and point...

It's all about the parenting.

...or lack thereof.

• 'splosions

there's a security guard who carries the key to pop the wheels out on them. i'm going down to Big 5 to pick one up myself.

i once asked a child to take her wheels out because she and her sister's were skating through my store.

their dad came up to me and got in my face about how many times they've been asked to take them out and how many days they've been there being asked, blah blah blah.

i looked him in the eye and as calm as could be, "don't you think you should have listened the first time then?"

he mumbled something at me, threw what he was looking at on the ground and dragged his daughters out of the store. my manager thought it was quite funny

• Down Pluto!

I rest my case...

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Browncoat: If you have your Manager on your side, perhaps you can ask (her?) to send a memo back to the Hotdog Building (Administrative Offices) requesting a clarfication of the rules, and get them added to the official written policies of What You Can Not Do.

That way there's no chance of your asking someone to stop using them inside your location (or anywhere else in the Parks, for that matter) and it backfires on you when City Hall reverses the request and allows the retaliatory guest complaint to stand.

Myself, I think they're dumb - not the concept, it's that almost every time I see them used they really shouldn't be. They're either indoors, or moving through crowded areas, or on rough surfaces...

Mom, Dad: Get the kid a set of real roller skates or rollerblades, and only allow their use in appropriate safe places. And require helmets and pads to reduce injuries. Until they're 18 and out of the house, their safety is still your responsibility.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Ian The Fox

Yikes, those things can be really annoying when kids just zoom right in front of you. I've almost ran into kids several times because of those shoes.
    Woof!

I think heelies are only as dangerous as the person wearing them. Stupid people can make anything dangerous!

• I'm your huckleberry.

My daughter has Heelies and just loves them.

Those of you who are complaining about kids running into stuff, being a menace to society, etc. are misplacing your angst. Those problems are a result of crappy parenting.... not the shoes.

Under no circumstances is my daughter allowed to wear her wheels when she's in a crowded area, or an area where running wouldn't be permitted. Not once has she run into another person, a display or anything of the sort. But that's because I don't allow her to wheel around a china shop. I have also taught her that zooming around people, cutting in front of them, or pulling daredevil stunts in populated areas will result in serious consequences. Therefore she doesn't do that... ever.

Be angry at the parents who allow their children to run (wheel) amok... not at the shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

I too HATE them! I've had to stop many a child from rolling into me. I see them rolling my way (not paying attention), I stop, I stick out my hand, they roll into me, and they give me a look like I'm in the way! I then nicely tell them to please watch where they are going. Some actually apologize, others either have no manners, don't speak English, or have no tongue, those are the ones I tell "I accept your apology". That gets a weird look too.

I refuse to get out of the way, unless they are going to make a spectacular fall, into a tree, bench, etc... This may be considered mean, but I look at it as I'm letting these kids learn a good life lesson for themselves...

And, no I don't do the same for toddlers... Toddlers are toddlers, and most are learning how to behave in public. Older children, who are coordinated enough to be using Heelies, should have the common sense, and manners that go with their use... And if they don't (usually the case) I will continue to do my part in educating them... Done.

My hubby has a pair and he has a lot of fun with them. He wears them mostly when I ask him to go with me to the grocery store.

They're not a problem if the person wearing them has a clue. I agree with the sentiment that it's all about the parenting, or lack thereof.

Good parenting- kid knows when to pop the wheels out. That's Disneyland and any other crowded place.

Bad parenting- kid thinks they can do anything they want, including run into and across the path of people.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    My hubby has a pair and he has a lot of fun with them. He wears them mostly when I ask him to go with me to the grocery store.

They're not a problem if the person wearing them has a clue. I agree with the sentiment that it's all about the parenting, or lack thereof.

Good parenting- kid knows when to pop the wheels out. That's Disneyland and any other crowded place.

Bad parenting- kid thinks they can do anything they want, including run into and across the path of people.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    My hubby has a pair and he has a lot of fun with them.
    Where did you find a pair in adult sizes?? That would be a life-long dream come true!

• Koubu Pilot

I work at a bank and one of the guys in charge of Heelie sales in my area makes the deposits for the business. He wears them, but he doesn't wear them with the wheels. He doesn't like it when he sees kids misusing them. I don't either. When I worked at Sears, I would see kids rolling through. They would even hold on to the escalator's handrail and let it pull them up or down while on wheels. They roll through the mall and stores full of people (especially on weekends). I've seen kids use them at Disneyland, too. Not a good idea. Who in their right mind would let their kids roll on wheels through an area with 60,000 people? If the kids want to go to a normal park and use them, roll to go to their friend's house (keeping alert for cars, of course), there's nothing wrong with that. However, when there are lots of people and no way to read what the kid on heelies or the people in the crowds will do, it's just not safe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast