Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

4/30 PHOTO UPDATE: Food & Wine Weekends, Inside Pirates Pt 2, Cafe Orleans, HM, +more

Back with another update. Let's get to it:

CALIFORNIA FOOD & WINE WEEKENDS
    The first weekend of the inagural year of the California Food & Wine Weekends at the Disneyland Resort seemed to be quiet, at least on Sunday. I noticed a lot of groups in matching clothing going on what I would guess would be food tours. Also, they were giving out survey cards, where you could go online and take a survey annd Disney would mail you a $10 check after completing the survey. I believe you had to spend over $10 in order to get it, and I think they only gave the cards out to some people spending over $10. Anyway, here are some pictures of some of the Festival Marketplace stuff at the Food & Wine Weekends.

Notice the nice new California Food & Wine Weekends flag in the background.

Halibut, Knockwurst, Peach cobbler

Bruchetta, Baja Beef skewer (the chipotle-orange sauce on this was delicious!), Fresh Tomato Salad

Chicken skewer, Lobster Quesadilla, Berries & Cream

I blurred the survey code, cause I havent taken the survey yet and I want my $10

Here is scans of the California Food & Wine Weekends guide:

[ Click here to see the inside of this Guide ]

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE/CAFE ORLEANS

Some refurb work atop a NOS building

The door was open at the end of that hall in the Disney Gallery

Heavy work going on at Cafe Orleans still...

(lightened in photoshop for your viewing pleasure)

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN & PIECES OF EIGHT

Theres new scaffolding up covering the entire island. I'm assuiming its so that they can finally fix that ceiling.

And Pieces of Eight is closed and has temporarily moved...

HAUNTED MANSION

What's hiding behind that screen? Maybe the head of the new bride peeking over? Hmmm... (Photo lightened for your viewing pleasure)

MISCELLANEOUS

Caught the Space Mountain sign at the right time, you could see the ROCK IT letters perfectly. No photo enhancing was done to this photo.

What's up with this pin? Walt Disney's Monsters Inc? What happened to Pixar? Weird.

..And the red ladies were out in full force. They later all went to Club 33 when I was over taking pictures of the Pirates store.

Dead Men Tell New Tales! Pirates re-opening snippet added to the new attractions list on the Guide the Magic.

...Anyway.. that's all.

Hope you enjoyed the update!

If any of you want larger resolution versions of any of these photos for further inspection, let me know and I'll see what I can do
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 05-01-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Adding Guide to the Magic map images

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• All you need is LOVE

Re: 4/30 PHOTO UPDATE: Food & Wine Weekends, Inside Pirates Pt 2, Cafe Orleans, HM, +more

great pics thanks

Re: 4/30 PHOTO UPDATE: Food & Wine Weekends, Inside Pirates Pt 2, Cafe Orleans, HM, +more

great pics! I really hope that it's the new bride in the attic, it sure looks like it.

thanks the update!

• Neep meep beep

Re: 4/30 PHOTO UPDATE: Food & Wine Weekends, Inside Pirates Pt 2, Cafe Orleans, HM, +

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I noticed a lot of groups in matching clothing going on what I would guess would be food tours.
    Great pics! The groups in matching clothing were from MouseAdventure, a trivia/scavenger hunt done by another website (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mouseadventure/#what).

They were in DCA on April 30th, and had names like the "Mary Poppies", and were meeting at the Bay Area for trivia contests and had photos to identify and other puzzles. Looked like fun, but too much work for a lazy Sunday in the park.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

It's because disney now owns pixar, they dont have to use the pixar label as far as I know..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion FOREVER!

Thanks, MasterGracey!

Interesting that many of the small plates that they used for the Food&Wine festival
    are actually ones that are used for the Japanese Kaiseki (set price) meals...

So how was the food?

Thanks for the pictures!
    That Peach cobbler looks so good...
    Last edited by C-HOX; 05-01-2006 at 03:43 PM.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

Re: 4/30 PHOTO UPDATE: Food & Wine Weekends, Inside Pirates Pt 2, Cafe Orleans, HM, +

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Great pics! The groups in matching clothing were from MouseAdventure, a trivia/scavenger hunt done by another website (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mouseadventure/#what).

They were in DCA on April 30th, and had names like the "Mary Poppies", and were meeting at the Bay Area for trivia contests and had photos to identify and other puzzles. Looked like fun, but too much work for a lazy Sunday in the park.

Actually the "matching clothing" ladies, atleast the ones pictured above, are members of the Red Hat Ladies organization. They get together to have tea and do crafts... my mom is a member - they also had a Disneyland trip lately where members from all over went! You have to wear purple with red hats, daughters wear pastel pink!

• I Love Disneyland!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey

..And the red ladies were out in full force. They later all went to Club 33 when I was over taking pictures of the Pirates store.
    Great pictures as always MasterGracey!!!

BTW, it is the Red "Hat" Ladies!! hahahahaha
    At least they are sporting our gang colors!!

Glad you asked!
    MG, you didn't get a picture of the awesome White Cheddar Cheese Soup in a bread bowl topped with crumbled bacon or the Grilled Artichoke with the lemon aoli dressing!! It was to die for!!!

I can report that the Bruscetta, Peach Cobler, beef scewer, lobster quesedilla and the mixed berries were all excellent and I would totally attend this function again!! (they were all appetizer size and I did share )
    Last edited by peoplemover1; 05-01-2006 at 12:55 PM.
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    It's because disney now owns pixar, they dont have to use the pixar label as far as I know..
    I thought the pin would be for the ride. But that is a good point too.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Thanks for sharing!

Who are the ladies in red?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    It's because disney now owns pixar, they dont have to
    use the pixar label as far as I know..
    That's not true - yet. If that were the case, all the new CARS
    advertising would loose the Pixar logo.
    Also, this pin isn't new. Its been around for a while now - I just now
    finally got around to taking a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Thanks, MasterGracey!

So how was the food?
    Food was alright, some bad, some good
    Food I tried:

AT FARMERS MARKET (not pictured in update)
    GRILLED ARTICHOKE ($4)- Pretty good, the sauce on top was what made it, though. B-

WHITE CHEDDAR SOUP ($4) - Definately the BEST thing I tried. My entire group decided that Disney ought to start serving this soup at a normal dining location. A.

AT THE LUCKY FORTUNE COOKERY
    BRUSCHETTA ($4) - If you like olives, you'll definately like this.
    The bread was chewy, sort of seeming like it had been sitting inthe
    chafing dish too long, but it wasn't bad. Definately good, but a little
    pricey for $5. B+.

BAJA BEEF SKEWER ($5) - The beef itself was nothing too spectacular,
    but I'm not a big fan of beef. The chipotle-orange sauce it came with
    was absolutely delicious and it would be great if they reopened the
    Lucky Fortune Cookery with an orange flavored chicken dish with this
    sauce. Yum! C+ (the sauce gets an A+ though!).

CALIFORNIA CHICKEN SKEWER ($5) - The chicken was dry and bland and the mushroom sauce wasnt too great, which was disappointing since I love mushrooms and chicken! D+

SEASONAL MIXED BERRIES ($4) - My friend got this, I didn't try the berries as I'm not a fan of fruit (strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, I think) but I heard they were good. I tried the cream (chardonnay sabayon) though and it was pretty good, but very wine-y. B-

LOBSTER QUESADILLA ($5) - Pretty good. If you're a fan of lobster, you'll like this. I like my food piping hot, and if it has cheese, the cheese needs to be really melty, so with that said, it could have definately been hotter and more melty but it wasn't bad. The guacamole was good too - for Disney. I was expecting a scoop of that horrible stuff they give you over at Rancho Del Zocalo, but this stuff wasn't bad at all. B-.

FRESH CALIFORNIA PEACH COBBLER($4) - A decent sized slice - probably the best buy out of all the Festival Marketplace items. I didn't try it, because I hate fruit, but from what I heard, it was pretty good. (No grade, I didn't try it at all)

...In all I think this it was pretty fun, even if all of it wasn't something to write home about. But- it's definately worth it after getting the $10 survey card. I'd love to see more Festival Marketplace offerings around the park - they could have given us something inside the old Hollywood and Dine, or over at Maliburritos. I'd also like to see some of this stuff freshly-prepared back there as you order it instead of sitting in chafing dishes until someone comes to get it. I understand the reason they did it, but after seeing the big rush wasn't materializing, it would have been nice to get some freshly-prepared food instead of stuff thats been sitting around in a chafing dish for a while being kept warm. Oh well... But anyway - what they have is a nice start. If you go, just go an have fun. Don't expect the best food, but expect to have fun sampling everything you want. I can't wait to see what happens with this next year!

Maybe Peoplemover1 can chime in and give us her take on things - she was with me and tried a lot of stuff too. [EDIT -- she added a brief little snippet about what she liked a couple posts up ]
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 05-01-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Who are the ladies in red?
    Ooh - I got this one! The ladies in red are the "Red Hat Society". It's a group of women over 50 (usually way over 50) who go out together to plays and other outings.

http://www.redhatsociety.com/info/howitstarted.html

• A Disneyland Hobo

MaserGracey, you are my hero of the day! Thanks for some awesome pictures. ^^ Great to be kept up-to-date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast