• Minion

Disneyland and the Animated Attraction

When Walt first opened the park a Animated Attraction was only found in Fantasyland. (I.E. Snow White, MTWR, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Casey Jr, Storybook boats and Tea Cups.) Any of the other lands had a historical value. Diane Disney Miller once said:
    Dad felt very, very truly that he had something to give education. He believed that you could deucate and entertain at the same time. They don't have to be two separate things and that education can be a pleasant, entertaining, enlightening experience. He believed they went hand in hand.
    Is Disneyland losing this value? In order to get more folks in the park. Do they have to theme a new attraction after the latest Animated Film? Can a Attraction have a historical value? Or does WDI have to keep stamping Attractions after Nemo, the Incredibles, Chicken little or The Chronicles of Narnia. Where is the "Imagine" in Imagineering? Have people today found historical stuff "Boring"?

Last night we went to Minnie's Moonlight Madness and some of the clues took us to places in Adventureland and FantasyLand. You get to look close at all the Attractions. The event last night was for OCHSA (CalArts). This was something that Walt really believed in. Roy E. Disney said:
    I've always thought he considered the Studio and WED prototypes for CalArts. He wanted to create a school where everybody's rubbing off on everybody else and where one type of artist is codependent on every other type.
    Everyone does a little armchair imagineering, with all this knowledge they have access to, would it be too easy from them to create a attraction after a Animated Fim? What I mean is should DLR have to see another Attraction based on some Animated Film? Just to get more people in the gate, I mean guys like Walt were always willing to take a risk.
    Last edited by Redsix; 05-03-2006 at 10:19 AM.
    Jason

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland and the Animated Attraction

Don't forget Frontierland when you had Davy Crockett tie ins, a Revue show based after Slue Foot Shoe and Pecos Bill, Adventureland was based after Walt's "True Life Adventures Series", etc. Sure they were not based after anything "Animated" but they were still based after Walt Disneys shows that were located elsewhere other than Fantasyland in Disneyland.

And yes guys like Walt were willing to take risks. But that was then, this is now. Now-a-days companies are in the "Get rich quick" and "Have to save a buck or two" mode. Disney has been on the top for so long that they already know reguardless people will continue to visit Disneyland. But now they are aiming at the children so the children could get their parents to take them to Disneyland. Besides, each time I go I always find something new and interesting.

But I see why Disney is bringing back the subs with Nemo. They just wanted to make the ride more interesting for young ones while adding a few of their favorite characters to it.

I guess all in all it depends on what type of view point you have.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Don't forget Frontierland when you had Davy Crockett tie ins, a Revue show based after Slue Foot Shoe and Pecos Bill, Adventureland was based after Walt's "True Life Adventures Series", etc. Sure they were not based after anything "Animated" but they were still based after Walt Disneys shows that were located elsewhere other than Fantasyland in Disneyland

Good point! Does that mean, that the kinda of shows or movies that Disney did kinda took shape of the park. SO if the park was bulit today...would there be a So Raven land? or Hanna Montana land? Chicken Little Tomorrowland? The Wild jungle Cruise?

BUT on the other hand should we be seeing, Aliens of the Deep Subs, Roving Mars in Tomorrowland, National Treasure in Liberty Square (which would have been built at DisneyLand) or maybe Eight Below instead of the Matterhorn.

I dont know I guess your right you can view it any way you want.
    Jason

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix
    Good point! Does that mean, that the kinda of shows or movies that Disney did kinda took shape of the park. SO if the park was bulit today...would there be a So Raven land? or Hanna Montana land? Chicken Little Tomorrowland? The Wild jungle Cruise?
    Man I hope not !

I can see why people are getting sick and tired of all the Disneyland rides being based after films and that yal would like something unique. bUt Disneyland does get credit for some original ideas still like Soarin' and Screamin'. Those two seem to be fan favorites of the crowd. But WDI in general is not dead. I mean look at all the WDW attractions built that are not based after Disney films. If I am correect only one ride in Animal Kingdom is based after a disney movie, Dinosaur. In MGM you have Rocken Rollercoaster, the original Muppet Vision, The original Tower of Terror, Mission Space, Then you also can visit foreign countries, etc.

So even though Disneylands rides are themed after movies, I think that is because they really have no more room for expansion to build new rides. So kids these days want to see Nemo, But Disneyland can't expand onto to much more land so it gets to the point that they have to turn some of their rides into something the kids will enjoy.

But I bet if Disneyland had more land that they could build on, they would make a lot more unique rides.

But all of the newest, and original non-movie based, attractions in Florida, Tokyo, etc. shows that WDI can still come up with very unique ride experiences as long as they have the money and space. If they are low on both, that is when they start looking at existing rides to see how they can be modified.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    But all of the newest, and original non-movie based, attractions in Florida, Tokyo, etc. shows that WDI can still come up with very unique ride experiences as long as they have the money and space. If they are low on both, that is when they start looking at existing rides to see how they can be modified.

I agree too, it seems they dont hit enough home runs here at the DLR. At least they built Soaring here first. The theme was Californina and it fit perfect. If you date back the last great attraction built for a perfect fit, INDY (even though it was a film it was not disney's film) WDI hit a grand slam with that one. I think nemo will work and I am waiting to see how they will do that?

I just want to see the DLR get what all the resorts have gotten. Something unique....thats all and not to have WDI sell out on another Animated Attraction.
    Jason

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Oh and plus they invented Lucky the Walking Dinosaur, but I am not sure if they only made him for DCA or all the parks. Plus the Auctioneer of POTC is one of the most advanced AA's Disneyland has. Heck he is one of the most advanced Disney has out of all the other AA's in all the other theme parks. He ranks up there with the Witch from the Great American Movie ride thing. So in some ways Disneyland has their own advantages when it comes to originality and creativity.

• Minion

We know AA were invented from the TIKI room and how they perfected it for the worlds fair in 1964. You know there are a lot of things they have done and they need to keep on doing it for the years to come. Just do not like WDI to sell out the DLR with cheap attractions based on animated films, with the exception of nemo of course.
    Jason