Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

An Angels Disneyland Sunday Fun Day!

Back in the 60's and 70's, the Angels had an event called the Disneyland FunDay...where, for the price of a combined ticket, you got to see an Angels 1pm home game, then mosey over to the Park for the run of the place, til midnight, at no extra cost (except shooting galleries, of course ).

Anyway, this past week I made my own Angels Disneyland fun day.

First to the Big A, for the Angels-White Sox game, where in front of the third base gate area, there's a statue...of a legend..

The Angels first owner, Gene Autry. Remember, this statue went up when Disney still owned the team, during the Anaheim Stadium 1990's renovation...and this pre-dated the Walt "legend" statue by a year or two.
    Anyway, after a tough Angel loss (more baseball pics in other threads)...I made it to the DLR by about 5pm. Even got to park in the Timon lot! Things were a-goin' my way. I was greeted inside the gates (ain't cell phones wonderful) by DfrntDrummer and his two wonderful children.

I just love those trees that frame the castle
    with the sun going down...
    Then, it was off to the area near Big Thunder...where we ran into one very tired group of MiceChatters who took part in some, uh, "adventure" sponsored by some website other than this one and therefore worthy of no further mention..

Our wonderful VillainsFan, proudly displaying the calendar (16-month yet!!) she earlier won at said event from unmentioned web site. By the way, Mickey's words seem to echo our fair Villains' credo for life..."Nice is not the same as wimpy." I think she's nice. And not wimpy.
    Well, gang, time for two other tired Mice...FrodoPotter and DisneyPhile...to smile at us now...

Are you noticing, by the way, how I am just casually dropping in some of these pictures, hoping that you won't notice that I STILL haven't gotten this names-faces thing down yet, even after writing stuff down...
    Ohh, will he ever learn...

More to come...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-03-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: An Angels Disneyland Sunday Fun Day!

Next, the inevitable,these people are thinking...it's Sunday and Barry's here for one of his thankfully infrequent visits, with that silly camera so even though we're worn to a frazzle let's humor him with yet another group photo...

You could tell how excited they were for that one.. .

Well, not everyone made the group shot, so here's MissChristine and Foolish Mortal friends...

And here's DifrntDrmr and those same two wonderful kids, after hearing the exciting tales of my wonderful Disneyland exploits, sometime during the Stone Age...

I think I was able to win them back over by plying them with the first Dole Whips they said they'd ever had. They said they liked them. I ate one for the first time while inside the Tiki Room. Even though the CM said it was okay, I still felt like I was getting away with something. I have a real flair for the adventurous, don't I...

(Seriously, Difrnt, I had great fun talking to your kids and you seem like a really great Dad! Plus, I saw my first Remember fireworks show with you guys... )

Always great to meet up with MiceChatters...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-03-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Finally, some shots of Disneyland...after dark...you'll note that this is an area of photo learning where I'm still behind the curve somewhat...

And we started our little trip here with one "legends" statue, so we end with the one against which all others should furthermore be measured...

Baseball, and Disneyland, and meeting my MiceChat friends old and new. Hard to top that day.

Among the many things that struck me...the look of a woman sitting with her family, across from us in the Tiki Room. She appeared to be filled with wonder and awe as the show we've all seen a thousand times, unfolded. It never ceases to amaze me, when we are at the DLR, that no matter how mundane something like the Tiki Room might seem to many of us, there is always the wonder of watching someone see the magic unfold, for the first time.

In many ways, that is what it's all about, for me.

Thank you for letting me share these experiences -

Barry

PS...You ever notice that other Disneyland guests give you really weird looks when you're wandering around, by yourself, taking picture after picture of things like...signs?
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-03-2006 at 05:46 PM.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, we've done that with the A's vs Angels a couple of times.

Adds a nice touch to the trip!

One night we were at the DL Hotel and as we got back to the room, we caught a few minutes of a game (again, A's vs. Angels).

During one of the innings, "fog" started hovering over and into the field. One of the announcers said that the usual fog was making its way in. It was actually a very warm, early June night, so that didn't make sense to us, but there it was, right on the TV screen.

A few moments later, the other announcer said that it wasn't fog, but the smoke from the fireworks from DL!

We all got a kick out of hearing (and seeing) that!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

We stayed at the Resort a few years back when the Giants played the Angels in the World Series. We had made our reservations way before we knew that either team was going to be in the WS.

It was a BLAST!

Huge big screens throughout DTD. It was like one big party there!

And of course, we can't forget all of those rally monkeys! They were for sale EVERYWHERE!

They even had one climbing on the GG Bridge as you enter DCA!

That was a GREAT trip!

• insufferable know-it-all

I *thought* I saw you there! (Unfortunately we were under a time crunch at the time, or I'd have tried harder to figure out if I was right and said Hi)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: An Angels Disneyland Sunday Fun Day!

Wow Great trip reprot. Sounds like an awesome day. Baseball and Disneyland. Now what's more American than that? Well maybe apple pie. LOL

Anyway, Barry, thanks for sharing some fantastic pictures and memoires. I can't wait to see the Tiki Room for the first time when I come out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

It was, as always, a pleasure to see you once again, even if it was for just a short time. Wish I could have stayed longer, but 7 hours of running around the resort like a maniac was all I could take .

Your pictures are great! I really like the one looking up at the castle at night, very pretty!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

great pics once again! great to see ya! and like villains fan said...after all that MA action, you're too pooped to stand!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    Anyway, Barry, thanks for sharing some fantastic pictures and memoires. I can't wait to see the Tiki Room for the first time when I come out there.
    I'll buy you a Dole Whip. We'll eat them while watching the show - ya know, live dangerously!

Barry

• All you need is LOVE

great pictures thanks 4 sharing

• Senior Minion

RB it was a pleasure to see you, and also thanks for the pics.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: An Angels Disneyland Sunday Fun Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I'll buy you a Dole Whip. We'll eat them while watching the show - ya know, live dangerously!

Barry
    You are quite the rebel Barry! I think I am going to really enjoy meting you in person!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry

And here's DifrntDrmr and those same two wonderful kids, after hearing the exciting tales of my wonderful Disneyland exploits, sometime during the Stone Age...

I think I was able to win them back over by plying them with the first Dole Whips they said they'd ever had. They said they liked them. I ate one for the first time while inside the Tiki Room. Even though the CM said it was okay, I still felt like I was getting away with something. I have a real flair for the adventurous, don't I...

(Seriously, Difrnt, I had great fun talking to your kids and you seem like a really great Dad! Plus, I saw my first Remember fireworks show with you guys... )

Always great to meet up with MiceChatters...
    I'm blushing.

The kids and I had a great time hanging out with you - even if you aren't exactly a fan of the Yankees.. Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge about the inner workings and for the introduction to Dole Whips. I'm glad you were finally able to see the fireworks and that we were able to share them with you.

I so remember the Angels Disneyland Fun day games. I was so into wanting to hit Disneyland that sometimes I would leave early from the game just to be at the gate at the 4pm cutoff time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast