Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• ...or just Tonny

Coastermania at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio ( one of the world's best park, by the way ), has a lower entrance price than regular admission, and is 100% free with season passes. For this, you get a meal, a speech, and 6 or so odd hours of exclusive ride time on some of their main coasters.

Disney, please learn from other people in your business.

• Love!

I'm horrified. This had better not be the big '50th' event. There had better be cake on every corner and a prize giveaway and a long party, or the 50th will be a shadow of other park anniversaries. What do they think we are, made of money?

• With my wife....

I'm still debating whether I want to fight the crowds and spend the 53 bucks on top of the AP to buy a regular ticket for the 17th! Don't think I'll be plunking down a couple grand for any of these packages.

This all just seems like an opportunity for the "upper echelon" to rub elbows and schmooz while their kids harass the guy in the Mickey suit. Surely they'll have something for us unwashed masses!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Doing it with a flair

Quote Originally Posted by dizneeboy
    I was able to attend a Ryman-Carroll Foundation event several years ago. It was $200 and included your park admission, breakfast at Club33, and meeting 4 imagineers inclucing X Atencio and MartySklar (X sang a pirates life for me and grim grining ghosts after telling the story of how he came up with them).

Now that was an amazing event at a reasonable price that went to charity.
    that sounds fantastic
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

Some observations/musings on the 50th event info

Hi everyone - just wanted to post some of my thoughts on this, it has been interesting reading the different reactions, and I have been looking forward to the details of the event for years, so at last they are here!

First, and perhaps this has been noted elsewhere, as with any special event some of the pricing options are not within the control of "Merchandise Special Events" - like admission, hotel rates, etc. As I understand it, Disneyland (and the whole company) expects its divisions to charge one another as though they were unrelated, to make their own departmental goals, so the division putting on the event has to negotiate all the individual prices with hotels etc. just like you and I would if we were planning a meeting. It aint cheap or easy.

Second, I do believe the people in Merchandise Special Events have been working on this for a long time, waiting for some of the things that are not within their control to be resolved. They contract with the creative talent, plan meals, develop the auction program, etc. for months - and if you notice, there are only about 1,000 maximum participating in this event - even less for the breakfast on Sunday the 17th (250 total). So despite the high registration prices, the "gate" itself is not a huge money windfall for Disney - it takes thousands of hours of work and ultimately hundreds of people to pull something like this off.

I think the Event people care very much about putting on the best show they can. Its not all about selling. But it wouldnt happen without selling. Whether the price is affordable or right or reasonable is a matter of personal opinion - but as someone else indicated, I think if they were any lower there would be a lot of people left wanting. Even at these levels I imagine they will sell out the day they go on sale - maybe not.

The staff cant guarantee what merchandise will arrive when, or what "special guests" will expect/demand to speak, etc. - in short, they are working very hard with limited ability to control the outcome. Why? Sure, to make money. Every business, even not for profits, has to make money to grow and survive. But I believe that many of the team are working on this to keep that segment of Disneylanders / fans/ collectors happy becuase they know for most of us we will never see something like this again in our lifetime - unless we are very young and last another half century. Besides that - Disneyland may not. So this is a truly unique moment and I am glad they are putting the effort into it.

All that said, I do have some questions, which may not be possible for anyone to answer but I think they are reasonable, as follows -

1) If married couples both buy a package with hotel, they apparently have to take 2 nights on before the event - Wed. 13th/Thurs 14th. But, if they wanted to go to Fess Parkers on the 14th, they are basically being required to get the same night at two hotels. Seems odd - maybe they have a fix for this. Odder still though, in the fine print, it states that the 2 early nights will not necessarily be at the same hotel as on the 15th and 16th - so people might have to move in the middle of their stay. Not the most convenient - but again, out of the control of the event staff. The hotel doesnt take orders from them. I just hope the event staff have considered how to manage this as best as they can.

2) The real problem in my opinion with the hotel packages is the lack of nights on the 17th. I am sure the event staff regrets this, but, for anyone going to the dawn breakfast, they will either have to check out of the hotel and pack their stuff into the car before going to the Park on the 50th itself, or leave after breakfast and come back in. Neither option is particularly practical. I would have supported requiring a 3 night hotel stay rather than 2, but again, room availability is not within event management control - as I understand it. Please dont flame me if I am wrong!

3) Oddly enough, the presence of the "in park dinner" on the 16th and "dawn breakfast" on the 17th would imply that there is NOT an all night event for the public - otherwise, people would be mingling about these meals that were not a part of the event. Previous similar events have been held in closed sections of the park; however, I doubt (I could be wrong) that an all night party would be held and then at the beginning part roped off for a dinner for 1000 people and another part roped off at 4 am for a breakfast for 250 people. To me, this is an indicator against any all night event for the public. Again, ... just my theorizing.

4) I SURE HOPE that the dawn breakfast attendees get to stay in the park til opening. It would be disastrous to be asked to walk out and wait in line to come back in. That would be a horrendous insult, a crime, to impose on the guests at these rates. The info doesnt say it does or doesnt - I encourage event staff to clarify that ASAP. Access, ease, comfort, lack of stress are the key factors for many of us who hope to attend.

5) It would be nice to know more about the seminars, merchandise, speakers etc. before the registration on the 22nd. Lets hope something is posted before then. But if not ... I am still willing to gamble. I will be there, I have saved for over a year, I am excited, and it will be worth every penny, to me.

My biggest problem personally again is with the lack of hotel rooms on the night of the 17th. I already have a 3 night package for Friday/Saturday/Sunday at the DL hotel, paid for. For the difference in package price with vs. without hotel, I would have to pay roughly $1200 for two nights instead of three - admittedly with perks at the event I wont get otherwise, like the Mark Twain breakfast - but being required to manage logistics of checking out, etc. is such a headache. Again, I am certain event planners would have liked it to be different too, but this is a big problem.

All in all, 1000 people get to participate, it will be unforgettable and fun, only 250 get breakfast on the 17th (and hopefully stay inside), and 50 get to go to Legends and eat on the MT at dawn. What a treat! Sure, there will be plenty of fun that weekend for those who dont attend, and sure, you could go to some other "park" for an "event" - but it couldnt compare with this one. The reality is, no one would pay that kind of money for Knotts. They will for the happiest place on earth. And even though we arent all in that income bracket, enough are that will have memories for a lifetime from this never to be repeated opportunity.

Thanks for letting me share my perspective, hope I didnt offend anybody!

• Compulsive Map Collector

Wow JiminyCEsq! I agree with most of your thoughts. I think that if they did have lower prices than $495 too many people would be going. However, $495 is a lot of money for the smallest package. For me to consider this, they need to post more info between now and the 22nd.

My Questions are:

1) Where it says you have the "First Opportunity" to pre-purchase merchandise, does that mean there is a chance of them offering a stand alone merchandise package, after the people who pay the large prices have theirs?

2) I need some names of the people who will be at the "Artist, Author & Special Appearance Signing experience"

3) An idea of what the themed meals include, and where they are.

4) what type of keepsake?

I would prefer that they offered a limited number of pieces instead of packages. Such as $200 for dawn at disneyland breakfast, $150 for the merchandise event, etc... instead of the $1955, $1750, $750, and $495. Because I have little interest in participating in the auction, or the panal discussion. I rather spend my time in the park.

I need to know if they will be offering an event for Space Mountain or the 50 hours event, right now, before I invest in this event.

For me to spend $500 Disney Dollars, i need to know some of these things. It doesnt have to be guaranteed, but i need to see some facts. I may rather just end up buying 25 July 17th t-shirts , or several oversized golden plush mickeys.....

Mildly dyslexic...

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Call me jaded, but this sounds like so many played out seen it, done it, events. It also seems so redundant with so many "magical on magical" moments. I'd OD on the whole thing before lunch. Good thing it's beyond my means! You can Ski for a week in the best lodges in the country for that $$$. IMHO...a better snowjob.

My mind mixed around some of the words and replaced the "sn" in "snow" with a "bl". I was like, "WHAT?!?"

• Gay Man

I have to say that the term "Merchandise Special Events" just makes me cringe. It is such a narrow focus with the product not being Disneyland but fabricated "stuff" created for what is a worldwide celebration. These events, combined, have a maximum capacity of fewer than 1000 participants and have maximum gross revenue of just over $600k. Either number is not very large, considering how large the actual audience is. It's definitely exclusionary and almost elitist.

• Minion

Well, This is a great discussion, and I tend to lean on the understanding side to the very large price. I'll be happy to obtain that POTC skull replica, But I don't object to others who can afford that elite experience. I'll never even be invited to club 33, but I don't mind that it is there. I am sure there will be plenty of ways for our family to celebrate and commemorate this wonderful occasion.

• Compulsive Map Collector

Just think, for the cheapest package, you could instead get 55 pairs of golden mouse ears!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

[QUOTE=mickeyslittlehelper]1) Where it says you have the "First Opportunity" to pre-purchase merchandise, does that mean there is a chance of them offering a stand alone merchandise package, after the people who pay the large prices have theirs?

2) I need some names of the people who will be at the "Artist, Author & Special Appearance Signing experience"

3) An idea of what the themed meals include, and where they are.

4) what type of keepsake?

Re: First Opportunity - I think what they mean is that you get first opportunity (probably on July 15th or 16th) to purchase the special "July 17th, 2005 50th Anniversary" merchandise. Whatever is left over will probably be placed for sale in the Disney Gallery on July 17th.
    I totally agree with you on the who, what, when, and where of the rest of the event.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Disguy
    Thanks for the info! I'm was kind of hoping for a special party on the 17th to be announced but I guess this is good news, if you want to spend the dough :o
    I was hoping they would announce some kind of special party on the 17th. Do they usually have some kind of birthday party celebration with cake and other things at DL in the past?
    Since it looks like some us can't afford the dough for these Mechandise Events, maybe we should plan our own get together party on the 17th. I realize there is still time but is anyone else interested?

BTW: love the signature DisGuy!
    Cliff
    WDW '72, '97, '00, '02, '03 '06 '07, '08 DL '98, '05, '10 DLP '00 DCL '09

• ...or just Tonny

I was *so* hoping for a 50 hour opening. I guess it wasn't anything else but wild rumors

• Misses Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    I'm still debating whether I want to fight the crowds and spend the 53 bucks on top of the AP to buy a regular ticket for the 17th! Don't think I'll be plunking down a couple grand for any of these packages. :
    They aren't "blackout" dating the AP's are they? That would be so unfair. Anyhoo yah these packages all kinda suck, the spend money with us to spend more money with us thing is getting tired, especially when I don't have any. If anyone gets a positive on that 50 hour thing, post it asap, cause that I would pay extra bucks for.....

Elsa's and Anna's
    Disneyland Dec 2014

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

I have already started drafting a nice, but concerned, email to event services. I want to get the point across that many of the die-hard DL fans who attend these events feel the cost of this event is very high for only a few "nice" event activities. I am working on a list of suggestions that would be relatively cheap for them to implement and nice additions for those who are attending. My list so far is:

- Reserved viewing area to watch the new fireworks show on either July 16th or 17th. Suggested location would be the Plaza Pavilion patio.

- Reserved viewing of the new parade on either July 16th or July 17th – suggested viewing area would be the Small World tiered viewing area.

- "Free" Fastpass to Space Mountain good for any one ride on the new version of Space Mt. Probably have to make this a July 16th event. This Fastpass would have NO SET return time.

What are some of your ideas.

Also, I would recommend that each of you out there that feel this event is overpriced consider sending an email with your feelings to event services as well. Remember to always be polite in getting your points across. Making suggestions for what you’d like to see could help as well. It’s not to late for them to add a few activities to the event line up.

The email address for event services is:

[email protected]
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast