Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

The REAL story behind the Bride and the Attic...

The REAL story behind the Bride and the Attic -- the one no one is mentioning so far -- is this amazing fact:

The entire refurb was done without shutting down the attraction, and while hosting thousands of visitors per day.

In the past, Imagineers have shut down an attraction to tweak and test changes, and then opened it up.

In this case, however, as we've seen through our vigilant posters (the eyes and (mouse)ears of Micechat), the roll out was done gradually, slowly, and right in front of those who noted the daily changes. Presumably, this was done at night when the right closed.

I think this is a major accomplishment, and something that should be encouraged, and done, in future upgrades or remodels. Breaking down a remodel project into its smaller constituent tasks, and assignments, in small portions, allow visitors to enjoy the ride, while the refurbishment is going on.

It was smart to also lift the sheets and "unveil" (pun intended) the attraction changes midweek, so that if there was a problem, the ride can be shut down with a minimum of people in the park waiting for it.

I know that this thread will get responses like "that's impossible for larger refurbishments", and there are likely cases where that is true. But the effects in the attic, as unveiled, are VERY "major" for this ride, and I can't help but applaud the Imagineers who worked on this for the ride, and also hope that this is a trend that continues in the future.

Maybe we'll see purple sheets the next time Space Mountain or Pirates are being upgraded, and audio and track changes can be done in small segments at night while the ride is closed for the evenings.

• Banned User

Re: The REAL story behind the Bride and the Attic...

As you said.. with smaller upgrades this is possible.. Pirates it is not hence why it went down, but this was one room, with only a few changes and many additions... the portraits with their independent lights, hang lights over night, install portrait next night and test and adjust then next night do next one..

This was done also so there is minimal down time needed at all, because pirates is down this is the only other attraction in New Orleans Square people want. You should attempt to never have 2 famous attractions closed at the same time.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    You should attempt to never have 2 famous attractions closed at the same time.
    Oh, I think there's been 2 famous attractions down at the same time in Tomorrowland. There was the Submarine Voyage, Rocket Rods, and Space Mountain, which were all down at the same time for some time. There was America Sings and Peoplemover, which were down at the same time. Mission to Mars and Journey through Inner Space, as well as both previous 3-D movies (Captain E0 and Magic Journeys) were all down at the same time at one point.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Oh, I think there's been 2 famous attractions down at the same time in Tomorrowland. There was the Submarine Voyage, Rocket Rods, and Space Mountain, which were all down at the same time for some time. There was America Sings and Peoplemover, which were down at the same time. Mission to Mars and Journey through Inner Space, as well as both previous 3-D movies (Captain E0 and Magic Journeys) were all down at the same time at one point.
    Yeah it has happened plenty. But it's still a bad idea. Ever go on a day when 3 (or 4) of the Mountains are down? Sucky.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

I agree with you- the way they handled the upgrade was wonderful. Do it in small increments, keep the ride open during the day.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Just this guy......

The REAL story behind the Bride and the Attic -- the one no one is mentioning so far -- is this amazing fact:

The entire refurb was done without shutting down the attraction, and while hosting thousands of visitors per day.

I think this is a major accomplishment, and something that should be encouraged, and done, in future upgrades or remodels. Breaking down a remodel project into its smaller constituent tasks, and assignments, in small portions, allow visitors to enjoy the ride, while the refurbishment is going on.
    I agree with you that this was really a major accomplishement and I would like to see it tried again down the road. On the other hand on some attraction I don't think that it can be done at all.

My other thought about this is..... Man they must have put in some very long and late night hours to get all this done. to the team who did the work.

• Parmageddon Jim

That's not quite true. The attraction was down for an extra long time after HMH (I think my roomate can give you the actual year by year comparison ), and it was during this time they would have installed the infrastructure. New wiring, sound and projection equipment, etc.

All said, it is nice to come to the Park and get surprises! I keep hoping that one day, I'll come into the Park and find they've hired a crane overnight, and lifted the Rocket Jets back up to their rightful place over Tomorrowland.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    That's not true. The attraction was down for an extra long time after HMH and it was during this time they installed the infrastructure. New wiring, sound and projection equipment.
    Are you quite SURE about that? I rode it right after it was open from HMH, and I recall it being almost exactly the same as it was before HMH ... the portraits, lighting, sheets, and the new bride, sound, and effects, started coming in later.

If you read the Al Lutz article, it sounds like they just got the green light for these changes within the last 30 days, so I would doubt your version of the event timeline.

But then again, I've been wrong.

• Banned User

I wonder what Disney did with the 'old' Bride...

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Ebay, anyone?

Gn2Dlnd, I love you as a roommate but I don't think you're right about the above statement
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer

maybe she will show up the the new POTC ha ha ha

My Maleficent tattoo

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Yeah from I read on those articles and on here, those 2 months or so after HMH was taken out was for normal refurbs cause when it opened up I don't remember anything new or out of the ordinary except the peeling wallpaper in the foyer and in the stretching room.

• Minion

Well, the changeover from HMH to HM DID take longer this year...

Anyway, I also applaud Disney for the way this was handled. I also think that the changes wouldn't have been nearly as anticipated had they all come in one night- it was the slow, day by day process that teased us and made us all even more anxious to see the changes. I do think, however, that it may be hard to do changes this way for other rides. The thing about the attic is that it is just that- an attic. So random things draped with sheets and covered up didn't detract from the show. But you couldn't just throw sheets on PotC in the same manner- it wouldn't look right. Maybe they could use an alternate manner to keep things under wraps?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    Well, the changeover from HMH to HM DID take longer this year...

Anyway, I also applaud Disney for the way this was handled. I also think that the changes wouldn't have been nearly as anticipated had they all come in one night- it was the slow, day by day process that teased us and made us all even more anxious to see the changes. I do think, however, that it may be hard to do changes this way for other rides. The thing about the attic is that it is just that- an attic. So random things draped with sheets and covered up didn't detract from the show. But you couldn't just throw sheets on PotC in the same manner- it wouldn't look right. Maybe they could use an alternate manner to keep things under wraps?
    crates?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Are you quite SURE about that? I rode it right after it was open from HMH, and I recall it being almost exactly the same as it was before HMH ... the portraits, lighting, sheets, and the new bride, sound, and effects, started coming in later.
    All the things started coming in later...but I think what Goin2 was saying is that taking down HMH they had time to really set up the infastructure for many of the changes, so yes they did the installation without shutting the ride, but it wasn't all accomplished while it was open.

Oh but if you are talking late 90s, so many of those were shuttered (shut down) attractions that that isn't totally fair of a comparison.

I think the one about BTM crashing while Space was down for rebuild and Splash down for redo for new logs is a better comparison. But I guess this is new DL management, who cares when two big rides in one land are closed at once... unlike Cynthia...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast