• Minion

Tomorrowland Expansion

Since land space is so limited for expansion in Disneyland, I would do the following

1) Autopia Removal - Once the contract with Chevron expires in 2010, the Autopia should be removed. Yes, before anyone yells at me, Autopia is beloved by children and was one of Walt's favorites. But it does not belong in Tomorrowland. There is nothing unique about driving a mini car around a track anymore..since most amusement parks have them. Autopia takes up too much space.

2) Monorail rerouting: The monorail must stay but its track should be shortened. The curves in and out of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland destroy valuable space..how...future buildings cannot be built very high because of the beams. I would have the monorail stop at the existing station upon entering Disneyland.

3) Remove Innoventions: This attraction has never really been popular so I would remove it.

4) Remove Star-Tours: Unless it is updated, this attraction has lost its appeal.

5) Remove the Starcade and all the video games.

By doing all of this, new attractions can be built and valuable land space is once again available.

One new attraction could be an updated version of the Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction which is very popular at Tokyo Disneyland - Disney Sea park.

http://www.tdrfan.com/tds/mysterious_island/journey/

The following info is from the above link:

"Journey to the Center of the Earth takes you on a winding trip down to the earth's core. Along the way you will encounter crystal caverns, strange creatures, and a variety of special effects that make this attraction one incredible feast for the eyes. Often breathtaking, sometimes scary, you could ride this attraction dozens of times and still not see everything.

The attraction's queue is nearly as exciting as the ride itself. The queue has two parts. The first part has you working your way past makeshift laboratories with items apparently taken from previous expeditions. This queue ends at one of several large elevators, which transport you at high speed down below the earth's surface. The second queue takes you past huge drilling machines, giant electrical transformers, and other support equipment necessary for a journey of this magnitude.

The vehicles you ride in are pretty amazing themselves. They are large cars with giant shovels on the front, and look rugged enough to actually take you on a trip underground. The technology built into the cars allows them to travel smoothly at a variety of speeds, from slow, "sightseeing" tempo all the way to up rollercoaster quick. (I have read they are based on the same technology as the ride cars in Epcot's Test Track.) Although it gets pretty speedy at the end, the ride is never rough.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of DisneySea's premier attractions, and unless you have no tolerance whatsoever for thrill rides, this is a "must do" attraction. This is a fantastic ride that does not disappoint."

Any ideas for Tomorrowland expansion?
    Last edited by JoeCool; 04-08-2005 at 10:29 AM.

• Where's my other cent?

I'm not sure that I would shorten the monorail so much. Modify maybe, but I think it would be cool to incorporate the track with some new ride. Have it run through whatever new structure gets put there, similar to the way that the Skyway used to go through the Matterhorn. This makes sense to me for two reasons. One, the sweep through FL and TL is beautiful, and acts as an exciting "preview" of the park when you're on it. Second, having the monorail run through some building adds both vintage and futuristic appeal. Vintage in its similarity to Walt's original EPCOT plan, which I think is awesome. Futuristic in the way that transport, infrastructure, and surrounding landscape all merge together. Anyway, that's my two cents.

• Just this guy......

I think that while Journey to the Center of the Earth is a wonderful attraction, it would not fit into Tomorrowland due to its lack of space.

To improve Tomorrowland, I think that first all the movies based attractions should be updated at lease. Most of these attractions have been running for over a decade, with makes them way past their prime.

And of course Innoventions is just a waste of space. ANYTHING could be better than what is currently there.

I would stick Journey to the Center of the Earth ride in Disney's California Adventture with a "Stop the Earthquake" theme.

• Banned User

One min.... when you were young and couldn't sdrive.. didn't you ejnjoy driving the autopia cars???

I myself loved them.... it has long lines and is a great ride... it shouldn't be removed...
    (you can upgrade the cars though to electric or make them hybrid or hydrogen....)

I feel putting this ride into DL would take too much room and your talking about removing alot of space for one ride... and shortening the monorail route would require money... removing track and fabricating new custom track can cost a lot of money...

(I would say redo with existing buildings:
    Startours become some new simulator...
    HISTA become some new Tomorrowland themed movie.. Not Philarmagic (that goes in fantasy land not tomorrowland/Tomorrows Fantasyland.. )
    Close the Starcade and fix the second floor... fix the kitchen in the resturaunt that used to be near by.... and turn it into an interactive dining experance based on Milyways "The Resturaunt At The End of The Universe"....
    Close the pizza place.. move the menue to the Tomorrowland Terris and turn the building into some new ride.... Alien Encounter Extreme or something.... Just not stitch...(have it have a random ending/programing to change ever so many shows.. or have the 2 theaters hae different endiongs... making the rideability even greater..)

there... then find something for the Caresell Building and you finnished..

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool
    Since land space is so limited for expansion in Disneyland, I would do the following

1) Autopia Removal - Once the contract with Chevron expires in 2010, the Autopia should be removed. Yes, before anyone yells at me, Autopia is beloved by children and was one of Walt's favorites. But it does not belong in Tomorrowland. There is nothing unique about driving a mini car around a track anymore..since most amusement parks have them. Autopia takes up too much space.

2) Monorail rerouting: The monorail must stay but its track should be shortened. The curves in and out of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland destroy valuable space..how...future buildings cannot be built very high because of the beams. I would have the monorail stop at the existing station upon entering Disneyland.

3) Remove Innoventions: This attraction has never really been popular so I would remove it.

4) Remove Star-Tours: Unless it is updated, this attraction has lost its appeal.

5) Remove the Starcade and all the video games.

By doing all of this, new attractions can be built and valuable land space is once again available.

One new attraction could be an updated version of the Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction which is very popular at Tokyo Disneyland - Disney Sea park.

http://www.tdrfan.com/tds/mysterious_island/journey/

The following info is from the above link:

"Journey to the Center of the Earth takes you on a winding trip down to the earth's core. Along the way you will encounter crystal caverns, strange creatures, and a variety of special effects that make this attraction one incredible feast for the eyes. Often breathtaking, sometimes scary, you could ride this attraction dozens of times and still not see everything.

The attraction's queue is nearly as exciting as the ride itself. The queue has two parts. The first part has you working your way past makeshift laboratories with items apparently taken from previous expeditions. This queue ends at one of several large elevators, which transport you at high speed down below the earth's surface. The second queue takes you past huge drilling machines, giant electrical transformers, and other support equipment necessary for a journey of this magnitude.

The vehicles you ride in are pretty amazing themselves. They are large cars with giant shovels on the front, and look rugged enough to actually take you on a trip underground. The technology built into the cars allows them to travel smoothly at a variety of speeds, from slow, "sightseeing" tempo all the way to up rollercoaster quick. (I have read they are based on the same technology as the ride cars in Epcot's Test Track.) Although it gets pretty speedy at the end, the ride is never rough.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of DisneySea's premier attractions, and unless you have no tolerance whatsoever for thrill rides, this is a "must do" attraction. This is a fantastic ride that does not disappoint."

Any ideas for Tomorrowland expansion?
    REMOVE Star Tours??? Wouldnt it be cheaper/better to upgrade the ride and add some new destinations (ride films)? I cant belive their are people out their that want to get rid of one of Disneylands most famous and iconic rides. Next I'll be hearing people want to get rid of Pirates, Its a small world, and Haunted mansion because they "lost their appeal"

well so far I'm very pleased with what Disney is doing for Tomorrowland

I agree with those who say Journey is ill fit for tomorrowland (it doesn't fit theme wise either in my opinion, save it for a third gate or better yet leave it as TDL's signature attraction)

now for my Tomorrowland I believe that since Disney wants to do sci fi type attractions it needs to be themed more to space and aliens while still keeping some focas on our own future earth sciences

I would rebuild the rocket jets platform and put the Astro Orbiter up there themed to resemble WDW's orbiter a bit more but still very unique looking

then I would put a new fountain in the entryway were the orbiter is now, I'd put a marble in the center of this fountain and such. The fountain would be setup so that people could walk to the marble through pathways built through the fountain in a "X" type formation, (so the fountain would be designed so that people can't walk through it to remove the problems they had with comsic waves) at nightime the fountain would shoot up the jets of water (comsic waves style) in different lighted colors with differeint crystal like sounds pulsating to give it a kind of organic effect.

The fountains setup would allow for my criss crossing traffic then the orbiter while still providing movement in the forground. Moving the orbiter back would then provide the needed movement in the background (as well as giving the land a central point of sorts)

Next I'd take out Rocket Reds and put in Alien Encounter (market this to the teens in commercials) and then I would move the resturant over to the Starcade were it would get a less retro and more spaceish theme with an alien animatronic provinding entertainment while you eat (I'd throw the starcade stuff into the san fran buildings over at DCA, that's about all they can be used for except prop storage)

Were comsic waves is I would place Cosmic lights, during the daytime it would just look like a nice cement setup but at nightime the fiberoptics inside the circluar area would light up creating loots of cool futuristic wavy patters that react when you walk over it, sometimes the effect might produce hidden micky's and sometimes it might simulate mysterious footprints as though an invisible person is walking over the walkway.

Now as for the Peoplemover I believe I've already covered that in detail (http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=525)

As far as Innoventions goes, I can't think of too much to do with this building as of yet, it really would be ok if they'd get some better exibits placed inside of it. I suppose they could add the flying saucers ride to the bottum floor of it as a way to draw people through, assuming that the ride proves popular and servicable at WDW.

HISTA is fine with me and I actualy like it (but then again I've only seen it twice) unless they come up with a startling new futuristic darkride idea I think HISTA is fine

Edit I forgot to do Star Tours. Star Tours would start out with getting fully digitaly remastered. Once it's in digital they could start to do a seasonal overlay with the push of a button. Have them take you to Hoth were you fite some AT-AT's or whatnot and help the rebels escape from their base (perhaps taking down a Star Destroyer). Then once the seasonal overlay madness starts to die down do another year or two with a summer type overlay of actualy making it to Endor only to be trapped by the emperial blockade (and now you take down the second deathstar from the INSIDE!!! ) and then after that just do random adventures between the origional film and the endor one (with Hoth still saved for the winter months of say November-Febuary)

as for Autopia and the rest well I've said it before but...

Take Autopia, Aquatopia (in the motor boat cruise), Trainstation, Matterhorn and Nemo (subs) and create Discovery/Exploration-Land heck you could even count Small World as part of that land if you REALLY wanted to (Explore the world? Discover the Country's of the World? )

• Minion FOREVER!

Like lots of other people have said: Good Ride. Terrible match w/ TL theme. Don't have
    enough space.

Another point is that actually, for such a ride, it can go beyond the berm and go under grade.

I *still* love jspider's Aquatopia cruise concept. It's new and innovative, but has
    roots in things familar. And the ride system shouldn't take too much R&D. (read
    "lower cost") Also no toon tie in necessary...(although I'm sure that WDI will do
    a story). And finally, it can be a high volume ride that the whole family could
    ride.

I would upgrade Star Tours w/ a new movie and with atmospheric effects (when the ship
    is gets hit, some "steam" somewhere or "sparks" from the panels)

Also TL isn't necessarilyjust "space & aliens"; TL (IMHO) is about futuristic things, so thematically, (despite what you think of it) Innoventions actually works.

• Rainicorn.

Remove Starcade? Where will all the disillusioned gamers go?

Re: Autopia I think it fits nicely into TL. It is based towards kids, and isn't their future, especially in the US, to drive cars? And let me tell you, my friends and I (who are 19-20) enjoy the crap out of that ride. We drive it real fast and do angry fists to each other! haha.

I don't think Journey to the Center of the Earth, unless re-themed to fit Tomorrowland (it would have been better placed in TL 98 in its Victorian rootings and all), would be a likely replacement.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Lightbulb

I agree that Autopia doesn't belong in Tomorrowland, though I think that something more futuristic could be built on the existing track. (Rocket Rods anyone? )

If I were in charge, i'd build a better Autopia in DCA. Freeways are no longer futuristic, but a vital part of today's driving culture, especially in California. People do have a personal connection to this Automobile Utopia, and putting it in California Adventure keeps it alive, plus it a actually fits the theme. Maybe part of an LA expansion. Anyone agree?

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    I agree that Autopia doesn't belong in Tomorrowland, though I think that something more futuristic could be built on the existing track. (Rocket Rods anyone? )

If I were in charge, i'd build a better Autopia in DCA. Freeways are no longer futuristic, but a vital part of today's driving culture, especially in California. People do have a personal connection to this Automobile Utopia, and putting it in California Adventure keeps it alive, plus it a actually fits the theme. Maybe part of an LA expansion. Anyone agree?
    I think we all know what I think of the LA expansion

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool
    1) Autopia Removal
    2) Monorail rerouting
    3) Remove Innoventions
    4) Remove Star-Tours
    5) Remove the Starcade
    1) Autopia needs to be updated, not removed. Electric cars and maybe a nice GPS in each vehicle. Love the Aquatopia idea. It would be Very cool to be driving down the road and then suddenly your car is a boat.
    2) I love the way that the monorail gives you the overhead view and sneak peek of the two lands. Moving it would not be easy Or cheap. Yes the beams block some of the vertical expansion area. Why can't expansions go Down, instead of Up, like PotC?
    3) Having not seen Innoventions yet (yes it's been a LONG times since we last visited) I can't comment. If it's like Innoventions at WDW, there could be a LOT more hands-on interactive displays. It's pretty hard to get people in that 'learning' frame of mind when they are playing.
    4) Star Tours is dated, but could be re-vitalized with new digital overlays, as Jspider suggested. Some 'effects' as nish221 suggested would go a long way to update this tired ride.
    5)Remove Starcade....well, okay, I have to agree with that one. "We drove 1200 miles so you could play VIDEO?" Video games aren't too futuristic anymore.

Remove all of those attractions and you would have a very barren Tomorrowland. "Journey" would be good but it's not very tomorrow-like. The book was published in 1871. Many of Verne's ideas have come to pass but today they almost seem passe. If they are determined to theme Tomorrowland to sci-fi, it's time they turned to a different writer for inspiration.

One more thing, (jspider)...Please don't bring Alien Encounter to DL! It stunk, and it stunk BADLY. Even my 8 yo wasn't scared by the weak story and ineffective effects.

I have no constructive ideas of what to Do, I just know what I Don't want done!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Imagineer in training

The problem with removing the Autopia is that about 2-5 feet below the roadways is a gigantic reinforced concrete structure resembling a parking garage. Guess what's inside? The Submarine Voyage show! The Autopia is definately a hit with the younger crowd, so I say keep it, but I love the idea of electric power, and a more 'futurisic' flair (How can we make them hover?)

The continued long lines at Star Tours tell me that it is still a hit. Personally, I love it. But a new interstellar destination would be cool, too.

The Starcade is a waste of space. But until I come up with a productive use for the area, it can stay. Perhaps in the meantime install some of the cool interactive family games from Disney Quest? (Cyber Space Mountain, etc.) Those 'games', while probably expensive to make, would at least be generating revenue from the guests who pay to use them.

We all loved the People Mover, but there was never a line. Ditto with the Horse Drawn Street Cars on Main Street. Both are crucial to the Land for the sake of atmosphere.

Monorail re-routing is too expensive. Re-aligning the beamway would be a nightmare.

HISTA could be replaced with an educational, interactive film on space exploration. Planetariums have AMAZING shows on the huge domed projection ceilings. Imagine a 3-film with reclining seats, a blast off simulation, and a breathtaking vista into space. The original concept of EPCOTs "Horizons" pavilion could be easily revisited. IMO, it would be very hard to top Universals outstanding Shrek 4D or Terminator 3D presentations with another stationary 3D film.

While Journey to the Center of the Earth from Tokyo DisneySea sounds amazing, I hate the idea of a duplicate attraction. I'd rather have an all new E-Ticket ride that gives the world a reason to visit.

Now, I DID have unlimited funds, what I'd do is move the Matterhorn to where the Motorboat Cruise is currently located. (There IS space within the current Monorail route, and my new Matterhorn would border the North shore of the Submarine lagoon.) I'd re-vamp the bobsled concept to one of Ski-doos, where riders are on a high speed race through icy mountain caverns. Along the way, a cork-screw style track mimics being stuck in an avalanche. The Atopia will be incorporated into the Matterhorn, featuring high-elevation mountain driving, tunnels and icy curves. The old Matterhorn site will be incorporated into an expanded Fantasyland, with the return of Skull Rock, a better parade corridor, an enlarged "Alice" area, and an additional storybook village theme (think Belles village or even Robin Hood... with bags of gold being transported overhead on ropes)

Thanks for reading this.