Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 92
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    I did an informative speech in my speech class on Pirates of the Caribbean, strictly the ride at Disneyland. In my speech, I included information about the PC changes that took place. I provided that straight facts on it and also stated that the changes were very controversial, and that I felt that they were stupid to implement. Now, basically the entire class agreed with me (minus one girl), but my teacher then started arguing with me on the subject. She felt that it was teaching girls to be submissive and accept things like rape. (I must point out that I delivered this speech in southern California).

    I didn't think too heavily about it until I got the totality of my grading on the speech back. This teacher liked all of my other speeches before, but on this one she was marking everything up very anally...and she consistently contradicted herself in her grading, writing one note and then the note after it completely opposing the other. Then I saw all the notes she had written about the PC changes...all I can say is, she was holding a serious grudge against me. Needless to say this rather ticked me off, as I'm in college and I feel that a college professor should be more professional than that. Of course I'm probably expecting too much.

    Annoyed, I retold the story to a friend of mine in a class...another young woman overheard and then started arguing with me, even worse than my teacher had. She went so far as to say that because of the chasing of the women scene, date rape in college in California is high.

    WHAT?! Clearly she had no basis to say such a thing, with no statistics or research to prove her claims. I have tons of friends that have gone to the park all the time their whole life, and neither are they submissive or rapists. But it infuriated me to hear these women disregarding that these AAs were chasing each other around (and of both sexes, I might add), both giggling to show that they were enjoying themselves.

    I am fully appreciative of opposing views and like to listen to them, but these women had absolutely nothing to back themselves up with what they were saying. But then, something clicked in my head.

    My professor is from Australia and hasn't lived in California long enough to experience a small earthquake (like less than a year). The two other females that disagreed with me didn't seem to be from California either...maybe somewhere else in the US, but not sunny Cali. But above all else, I'm fairly sure none of these young women ever went on Pirates before it underwent the PC changes, and might not have even visited the park at all.

    I don't know...as people that visit the park, are we prejudiced that these types of things Disney deals with are always classy? And opposing, are people that aren't used to the parks come in with an overly-high clean cut expectation, agreeing with changing anything that only sounds "off" to them?

  2. #2

    • Once more, with feeling!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    Posts
    490

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    People are stupid. Welcome to Earth.

  3. #3

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    So any girl who runs from a rapist is submissive to men? Makes sense to me...

  4. #4

    • Princess of my own world
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    1,481

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    I agree with you about the women part of the ride. I, being a woman myself, have never been offended by that. I remember years ago when they changed portions of the ride because of this controversy (please correct me if I'm wrong, it was years ago). I believe it was the chasing scenes in fact. They made one of the ladies carrying around a tray of food and the other chasing was the woman chasing the pirates with a rolling pin.

    The whole visitors to the park thing I think depends. Maybe some people who have never been to Disneyland expect to come into the park with every ride kid friendly and everything perfectly politically correct. Whereas people who have been to the park a lot and exposed to everything are just used to it and don't have the idealized politically correct vision that first timers do.

    Anyways I love that ride and those points those women brought up never crossed my mind. I agree, they have no strong, valid points to their arguement. I truly feel that there are some very strong women feminist who will never be happy until everything in the world fits their feministic view.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

    Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

  5. #5

    • "Always On The Move..."
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    I am a woman and was NEVER offended by the original PoTC concept of the pirates chasing the women scene during the ride. However, I was offended by the change...(ok now THAT whole food thing was offensive...I mean.. talk about steriotyping.) But, as for the original scene and the way it was...well to paraphrase the good Captain Jack...

    "Pyrate!!!!!!"

    Now, I do feel for you in what your Prof did regarding the influence of private prejudice in the grading of your presentation.

    If it helps you feel a bit better... I also took flack from a Prof in my Philosophy of Religions class because he and another student firmly and completely believed that George Lucas is the Anti-Christ.. and I come be-bopping in wearing my Star Wars T-Shirts. Actually had to go to Admin on that one... (He would go in a tangent regarding Lucas and SW if I had a shirt on.. and even asked me to leave the class at one point because I was "promoting Satanism.." by wearing a SW themed shirt.)

    So, there are ...um... "interesting" people everywhere, unfortunately at times we are at their mercy...especially regarding college Profs and some of their eccentricties....



    So
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!


    Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6


  6. #6

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    I am a woman and was NEVER offended by the original PoTC concept of the pirates chasing the women scene during the ride. However, I was offended by the change...(ok now THAT whole food thing was offensive...I mean.. talk about steriotyping.) But, as for the original scene and the way it was...well to paraphrase the good Captain Jack...

    "Pyrate!!!!!!"

    Now, I do feel for you in what your Prof did regarding the influence of private prejudice in the grading of your presentation.

    If it helps you feel a bit better... I also took flack from a Prof in my Philosophy of Religions class because he and another student firmly and completely believed that George Lucas is the Anti-Christ.. and I come be-bopping in wearing my Star Wars T-Shirts. Actually had to go to Admin on that one... (He would go in a tangent regarding Lucas and SW if I had a shirt on.. and even asked me to leave the class at one point because I was "promoting Satanism.." by wearing a SW themed shirt.)

    So, there are ...um... "interesting" people everywhere, unfortunately at times we are at their mercy...especially regarding college Profs and some of their eccentricties....



    So
    lol, wow. I hope the admin helped you resolve that...

    Yeah, as hard as I try, I just don't understand some people.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Maybe they don't have that 'love' for the attraction than people who have visited it more often before its closure.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    The 'political' changes weren't to make them actually politically correct. I think it was to give the very static figures more props to distract guests from their overall very unimpressive look.

    But I also think it was to make them politically correct, Disney just says what I stated above as an excuse.

  9. #9

    • "Always On The Move..."
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    lol, wow. I hope the admin helped you resolve that...

    Yeah, as hard as I try, I just don't understand some people.
    Actually our Dept. Head was a HUGE SW fan ...so yeah,,, he helped me out a LOT in that class. (And the Prof wasn't asked back)

    BTW DisneyDreamer... LOVE the Avatar!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!


    Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6


  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    Actually our Dept. Head was a HUGE SW fan ...so yeah,,, he helped me out a LOT in that class. (And the Prof wasn't asked back)

    BTW DisneyDreamer... LOVE the Avatar!!!!!!
    Lol, thanks!

    Got it from here:

    http://disney-dreams.net/ljicons_lilostitch.php

  11. #11

    • "Always On The Move..."
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Ohhhh Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!!!

    <---- And see what I found! ROFL
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!


    Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6


  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    Ohhhh Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!!!

    <---- And see what I found! ROFL
    Lol, that one is GREAT!

  13. #13

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    The 'political' changes weren't to make them actually politically correct. I think it was to give the very static figures more props to distract guests from their overall very unimpressive look.

    But I also think it was to make them politically correct, Disney just says what I stated above as an excuse.
    Right...so why not, since you believe Disney is just el cheapo on everything, add jewels in the woman's hands? Instead some where switched around too. And I believe the food one was a later change, so Disney moved them and then moved them back and added the food.

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Right...so why not, since you believe Disney is just el cheapo on everything, add jewels in the woman's hands? Instead some where switched around too. And I believe the food one was a later change, so Disney moved them and then moved them back and added the food.
    I am SOOO sick of your views on me, lazyboy.

    I don't think Disney is el cheapo an any respects. Holding money back from future development? Yes. Very cheap as to let things fall into disrepair (with the current company we have now)? Absolutely no.

    Disney is starting to get its old footsteps back. But like I said in various other topics, the Eisner decade is a thing I'll never forget. But its starting to ease up a bit on me.

    And besides, I really hate that scene because it is basically just mannequins on a noisy turn-wheel.

  15. #15

    • The Useless Prince
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    10,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pirates PC changes supported more by those that don't visit the park?

    ok...this is what I told my dad the other day and he totaly agreed....

    I over heard some stuff on the news and i came storming out of my room yellin" WHAT...OFFENDED...OFFENDED...People are offended about a thing like having "blank" in schools....It is just like saying Slavery never existed and that the plegue never happened....it is like saying hitler never killed any jewish people and the world wars never happened....." I was so mad that i don't even remember the topic.....but all my dad could do was nod his head...i hate when things have to be politically correct.....because a simple thing like not showing how bad the past was will make the actual past become a "PC" past...and we might be doomed to repeat what happened

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Warning: If You Have Not Seen Pirates 3 Yet Dont Visit This Thread
    By disneyfan07 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM
  2. A new park to visit.
    By Monkey joe in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
  3. Which Park Should I Visit?
    By DisneyDan24 in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
  4. Which park should I visit if I am going to be at WDW for one day?
    By wem1985 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •