Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Unrealized Imagineering: Concepts that never saw the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    In Jeff Kurtti and Bruce Gordon's book "Art of Disneyland" is an EXCELLENT representation of what was first envisioned for the Indiana Jones ride... with both the Jungle Cruise and Disneyland RailRoad going through it, the existing Indy ride vehicles, a roller coaster mine cart ride (a la the Indy 2 movie) and a "Skyway" gondola type ride all going through one major scene! The book ain't cheap, but it's one of my prized Disney possessions.

I'm thinking that the "Discovery Bay" artwork is in that book as well. I thought Tony Baxter was the imagineer for Discovery Bay? Hmph. Well, learn something new every day, I guess!
    Yeah, the concept art for the much grander version of Indy with the multiple attractions going through it gets me giddy every time I see it. How incredible would it have been if we had actually gotten that!?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

if I ever made a theme park Discovery Bay.would be a land in the park.
    It would not be a disney clone but my ideas of what the bay would be.
    Disney has great ideas but does not use them like this land and Villain Valley also the NBC ride would be great at DCA.
    I mean they put monster inc there so why not halloween town?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

The only issue I've ever had with Discovery Bay is it's location seems off in placement...kinda fits but kinda doesn't. Secondly, the rides you always hear about being rumored for that area changed so much in the design phase that is comes across as great place with no real great ride...and they just kinda threw out ideas "well what could we theme this ride to be?".

I mean the "magnetic" rollercoaster sounds cool...but then it became a drop ride...that became a "Island on Top of the World" ride...just seemed like it didn't have that one selling point that stood the test of the design phase.

I really like the NBC dark ride idea. I wish it had been done, there is actually some room to build it. Another suspended ride would be very cool. It would probably take some line off of peter pan every now and then. Add some fastpass kiosks, and you got urself a pretty good ride (that is if there are no budget cuts).

The Haunted Mansion would no longer be around, and some of the AA's they use could be used in the NBC darkride, to save money. Then the mansion, as said in another post, would be free year-round.
    Every Halloween and Christmas they could still add some spooky-dead christmas trees, Jack-O-Lanterns, ect.

Sorry, I'm getting into Imagineering, Back On Topic.

Thanks for the concept art, I definetely would've prefered the Critter Country 500 over Winnie The Pooh.

• back in Austin

Shame about the Critter Country 500 ride. I think it would've been way more fun than pooh, for young and old alike. Would've cost a lot more to develop, I'm sure.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    I'm thinking that the "Discovery Bay" artwork is in that book as well. I thought Tony Baxter was the imagineer for Discovery Bay? Hmph. Well, learn something new every day, I guess!
    He was. This guy just repitched the idea in the 90s.

How can anybody forget Rock Candy Mountain?

It's funny, I really can't think of anything that I just go completely "WOW!" over outside of crazy Blue Sky work for what we have. WRE really intrigues me, as does Discovery Bay. But Disocvery Bay's location and attraction issues have always been a serious down side.

• ...TWO BITS!

I feel iffy on the Discovery Bay concept in DL. Maybe in another park or the whole park designed as Discovery Bay feels better for me. I think Discoveryland is a good start in that direction.

TNBC ride looks awesome. I don't think putting it in Fantasyland/ FL theater feels right. Feels better for another park perhaps.

Country Bear ride looks awesome as well. I want to know more.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I never knew of the Critter Country 500 ride. What a great concept, and we would have avoided Pooh. I wonder if it was a dark ride or outdoor Autopia like ride? Maybe like a soap box derby style ride, which Knott's used to have. I wished they would bring the Country Bears back to Critter Country or DCA maybe, but CC could be so much more if they expanded it.

Discovery Bay I would like to see. Not necessarily all of it (the Sub while cool I don't think truly fit) I could see it going up along with the dark ride that was to be a part of it and maybe add the Timekeeper (updated albeit)

from the looks of this picture, it seems like he wanted it in front of Small World somewhere. NOTICE SMALL WORLD FACE ON THE LEFT SIDE

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Interesting! Looks like this would utilize the old Fantasia Garden/Motorboat Cruise area?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

*sigh* if only the NBC ride happened, that would be my fav. ride considering im a NBC freak (im wearing a NBC shirt as i type this) it also would have been cool to have the Country Bears ride.

They could put the NBC ride in DCA in the Millionaire building - I've never been in there, so I don't know how bit it really is, but with a little renovationand creative track placement it could probably work. It would be a big boost for DCA too.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gOLDEN bLUE
    from the looks of this picture, it seems like he wanted it in front of Small World somewhere. NOTICE SMALL WORLD FACE ON THE LEFT SIDE

I would love to see this...and it would be pretty cool replacement for the MBC area....plus The NBC HM overlay always dissapoints me because i rarley get to go on the normal version I know this rie would make a good portion of the disney community happy...and another good portion angered....

• Banned User

You can thank Eisner, Sklar, Cynthia Harris, Paul Pressler, the accountants and Don Goodman for these rides never getting made. They decided to go wtih cheaper less expensive and less satisfactory attractions like Pooh instead because they figured "hey people are gonna come to disney anyway even if the rides suck". It really upsets me what happened.

My recommendation? Send these concept pics and info to john lasseter. He actually reads his mail belive it or not.

• Banned User

I want, like mentioned, more classic stories like Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid, or Cinderella before a NMBC ride- not only does the ride not fit with any of the current lands, NMBC doesn't have too many memorable songs, unlike Beauty and the Beast's Belle or the Little Mermaid's Part of Your World.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast