Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Unrealized Imagineering: Concepts that never saw the light of day.

I was browsing through the E-Ticket Magazine web site and followed some links until I discovered some wonderful concept art by an ex-Imagineer Christopher Merritt. That Imagineer created the wonderful E-Ticket Magazine website.

I thought I'd post some links to his great concept art and start a discussion on things at Disneyland that never came to be, and if those ideas would still be intriguing or worthwhile today.

First up: Discovery Bay.

(above art copyright Disney. Not by Christopher Merrit)
    Of course, this and is a favorite long lost idea that Disney fans still hope and dream for - but with the rumors of a "Woody's Round-Up"-themed area taking over the available real estate, is Discovery Bay pretty much a dead deal?
    Page link: http://www.christophermerritt.com/MapsDiscBay.html

Christopher Merritt Concept Art:

Concept Detail: http://www.christophermerritt.com/im...BayPopUp_2.jpg

Concept Detail: http://www.christophermerritt.com/im...BayPopUp_3.jpg

Critter Country 500
    To salvage the Country Bear Jamboree, Christopher Merrit came up with a "off-road race concept." Unfortunately, this potentially fun ride lost out to Winnie the Pooh. Take a look:

Christopher Merritt's Attraction Poster Design:

Detail: http://www.christophermerritt.com/im...andPopUp_2.jpg

Detail: http://www.christophermerritt.com/im...andPopUp_3.jpg

Themed Ride Concepts by Christopher Merritt:
    ....Including a really cool Nightmare Before Christmas attraction:

...complete with suspended Sandy Claws sleigh ride vehicles (think Peter Pan's Flight)

http://www.christophermerritt.com/Th...eConcepts.html

...So what axed Imagineering concepts have you stumbled across during your time on the 'net? Anything worth posting, or worth hoping and dreaming over?

[all art on this page copyright Disney and/or Christopher Merritt]
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 05-07-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Re: Unrealized Imagineering: Concepts that never saw the light of day.

Those are great photos, Master Gracey!

I have some concepts in a book that were never done, but I'll do that tomorrow- its gettin' late!

• Shablagoo!

I really like that Nightmare Before Christmas ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Norrinradd76
    I really like that Nightmare Before Christmas ride.
    Ditto.

• Wicket Pan the Avenger!

I think it'd be cool to design a Disneland ride
    "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
    "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
    "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

• Banned User

But where could you put NMBC?

No current land fits that theme, unless they do a VillainLand of some sort.

• My life is better with DL

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer

Let me guess with fog and scary shadows?

^This is the life!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Fantasyland.

If they were to ever remove the Fantasyland Theatre, or (I don't think there's enough room back there, but I'm not sure): remove the defunct Skyway chalet and clear out some space back in that dark corner and build the ride back there.

| | |

• Banned User

I'm not to fond of the Nightmare Before Christmas film. I much rather see a Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast attraction before NMBC.

• Minion

I'm not to fond of the Nightmare Before Christmas film. I much rather see a Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast attraction before NMBC.
    I agree. Besides...isn't Haunted Mansion Holiday sort of like a NBC dark ride?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I think many people would like attractions themed to Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. But Nightmare Before Christmas would be an insanely popular ride. I'm not a fan of the film either, nor a fan of the Haunted Mansion overlay, but I don't matter because it's ridiculously popular - look at what it does to Haunted Mansion every holiday season. People love the film and Haunted Mansion Holiday.

In my opinion, Sleeping Beauty doesnt need an attraciton - she has her castle. Just bring back the walk-through. That's more than enough for her. Beauty and the Beast has Beast's Library in the Animation building at DCA. Maybe nothing too big, but its good enough for me. I really don't see much being done with Beauty and the Beast other than a typical Fantasyland-style ride-thru of the movie's story. Other films like the Lion King and Aladdin have much more potential for more interesting ride-thrus: Creepy Elephant Graveyard ride-thru for Lion King with hyenas, scar, and Nala and Simba trying to escape. Cave of Wonders magic carpet ride for Aladdin.

So many possibilities.

And Nightmare has many posibilities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    I agree. Besides...isn't Haunted Mansion Holiday sort of like a NBC dark ride?
    A permanent NBC darkride would free up the Haunted Mansion year-round, which wouldn't be a bad thing for me.. But I do agree that HM and NBC are a match made in heaven... It just sucks that personally, I don't like the combination as I'm not a fan of NBC. Oh well.

| | |

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I think many people would like attractions themed to Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. But Nightmare Before Christmas would be an insanely popular ride. I'm not a fan of the film either, nor a fan of the Haunted Mansion overlay, but I don't matter because it's ridiculously popular - look at what it does to Haunted Mansion every holiday season. People love the film and Haunted Mansion Holiday.

In my opinion, Sleeping Beauty doesnt need an attraciton - she has her castle. Just bring back the walk-through. That's more than enough for her. Beauty and the Beast has Beast's Library in the Animation building at DCA. Maybe nothing too big, but its good enough for me. I really don't see much being done with Beauty and the Beast other than a typical Fantasyland-style ride-thru of the movie's story. Other films like the Lion King and Aladdin have much more potential for more interesting ride-thrus: Creepy Elephant Graveyard ride-thru for Lion King with hyenas, scar, and Nala and Simba trying to escape. Cave of Wonders magic carpet ride for Aladdin.

So many possibilities.

And Nightmare has many posibilities as well.

A permanent NBC darkride would free up the Haunted Mansion year-round, which wouldn't be a bad thing for me.. But I do agree that HM and NBC are a match made in heaven... It just sucks that personally, I don't like the combination as I'm not a fan of NBC. Oh well.
    Great point!

• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

Discovery bay exists in some form at Tokyo Disneysea. Well, more accurately, parts of it seem inspired by Discovery Bay. The blimp looks very familiar, but I can't recall if that was actually at TDS or not.

My idea for an NMBC ride is similar to Spider-Man or Indy... vehicles that move in accodance to what's going on, to make it feel like you're flying alongside Jack, dodging Oogie's contraptions, etc. and it would use both Animatronics and 3D screens. Then again, I can't imagine them actually building this since it's about two holidays, plus they already have the Haunted Mansion Holiday. Maybe at MGM, though...

Have you faced the Yeti?

Discovery Bay was actually built in a revised form as Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris. The Hyperion Blimp and the Nautilus are both there, the transition is somewhat explained in the official Imagineering book.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Who's your DaddyB?

In Jeff Kurtti and Bruce Gordon's book "Art of Disneyland" is an EXCELLENT representation of what was first envisioned for the Indiana Jones ride... with both the Jungle Cruise and Disneyland RailRoad going through it, the existing Indy ride vehicles, a roller coaster mine cart ride (a la the Indy 2 movie) and a "Skyway" gondola type ride all going through one major scene! The book ain't cheap, but it's one of my prized Disney possessions.

I'm thinking that the "Discovery Bay" artwork is in that book as well. I thought Tony Baxter was the imagineer for Discovery Bay? Hmph. Well, learn something new every day, I guess!
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast