Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Behind the Magic-50th Disneyland Exhibit Report

So I took a little trip to the Oakland California Museum to see this exhibit.

http://www.museumca.org/exhibit/exhi_disney1.html

First off No one was allowed to take Photos. They had security everywhere, not to mention lots of tiny cameras.
    Here's a list of a few interesting things I personally had seen before or had not seen in a while and or
    As you walk up you see the classic photo of Walt before Opening day, with a Giant Classic "D"
    -Different angles of Main Street under Construction, facing the train Station, -Blacklight Painting of Disneyland done by Peter Emmerich,
    -Herb Ryman sketch and the actual pitch folder for presenting Disneyland plan to the ABC television company, (too anyone who went please add more, --please help me out here. I'm trying to remember it all.
    -Many videos of Disneyland and the different lands of the park, mostly that are on the Disney Treasures, also saw some that were playing on July 17th 2005 and more that I had not seen.
    -Different videos and artwork,
    -Swiss Family Tree sign, A Jungle Cruise Sign that had a quote, that I wish I could remember.
    -Menus from the Blue Bayou,Tahatian Terrace,Disneyland Hotel
    Disneyland Hotel Carpet samples,tiles, linolium, (I know for some whoopiee!
    -Disneyland Employee Manual, and you were allowed to thumb thru it.
    -A sketch of a ride called the "Reel" Ride where your favorite Cowboy Star chases a Villain, with Mechanical Horses for the audience to ride, that never came to be.
    -Two of the original Pirate shooting arcade games
    -Davey Crockett merchandise hat,
    Two of the Disneyland themed trash cans
    -All the fortune Cards from the Pirate Fortune Teller. There was alot more in the first section. More to come....
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 05-07-2006 at 10:57 PM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Behind the Magic-50th Disneyland Exhibit Report

Great stuff TicToc!!! The magic of Disneyland is everywhere...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

Second and third sections were in the back of the Museum,

This section started off with a Haunted Mansion section with the Woman changing to Medusa exactly like the one at Disneyland, It changed and cracked lightning exactly the same.

There were all the Stretching portraits,
    small Raven exoskeleton AA in a glass case.(non functioning)
    The Original video of the making of HM.
    -A sculpture of one of the Hitchhiking Ghosts in a glass case
    Diorama model of the Peter Pan ride so you can see down inside, Also they had one of the Pirate ship ride vehicles that one could sit in.
    -A Lincoln AA with just the head covered and one hand, the greatest thing was being able to see this with just the see through exoskeleton and all the working mechanisms.
    -A mold of Lincoln's head (probably was at DL already)
    A HUGE diorama of the Jungle Cruise and Adventureland and I mean huge
    the one thing that stuck out the most was the artwork for the walkthrough of the Pirates of the Carribean. In the Drawing you could actually walk up to the Pirate Ship.
    Then the third Section was kind of small, but ok. It had a section for Toontown, also they had the AA control panel from the old days, that has been on television before. With one control panel you could actually play around with.
    - A drawing of the artwork for Indy from 1988. Also a full size Snake from Indy that is blacklit. I'm sure there was more, but hopefully those who had the chance to see it will share what they thought of it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

Thanks for the thread! Its great!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Great stuff TicToc!!! The magic of Disneyland is everywhere...

--Barry
    It sure is Barry, never too far at all.

• All you need is LOVE

Wow what a report I love the photos thanks for sharing...I wish I could have gone.

• Senior Minion

A few pics of the Disneyland Book, I love this pic.

• Senior Minion

Opening day

Excellent stuff TTD!! Wish gas was cheeper or I'd take a day trip up to see that. What a treat!!

• I Love Disneyland!!

Really great photos and report.... thanks for sharing!
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Did they have a statue of Paul Pressler?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Cabin
    Did they have a statue of Paul Pressler?
    Thank goodness no.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bornieo Goes Bananas
    Excellent stuff TTD!! Wish gas was cheeper or I'd take a day trip up to see that. What a treat!!
    Looks like we have some time to plan a trip...

Walt Disney’s legendary theme park, conceived and created with his design wizards, the Imagineers, opened July 17, 1955, in Anaheim, on 160 acres of former orange groves. The rest is American history.
    The Oakland Museum of California helps celebrate the first half-century of Disney’s magical kingdom when Behind the Magic—50 Years of Disneyland opens on Saturday, May 6, 2006. The exhibition is on view through August 20.
    Behind the Magic provides a rare look at American icon Walter Elias Disney and his vision for a new genre of family entertainment. Graphic designers, Disney aficionados, film historians, and generations of Disneyland visitors will find plenty of living history to explore.
    http://www.museumca.org/press/press_disney.html

Anyone for a carpool?

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-08-2006 at 01:31 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• A Pirate's life for me!

GREAT report!

We'll be there in a couple of weeks (with our spy camera, of course).

Thanks!

(BTW-a friend of ours works for the museum, and told us that she has not seen this much security for any previous exhibit!)

• The Happiest Cynic

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon

Is there any chance you'd be willing to get another one of these posters and mail it to me? I'd happily pay cost + shipping + extra for your trouble. That poster is awesome! Unfortunately Oakland is an 8-hour drive for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast