• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

2 weekends down...DCA's Food & Wine on track for sucess?

So for those who have gone to it or seen it or have been following it, DCA has now had two weekends of its California Food & Wine festival. Reports are showing people are liking them thus far...but how about some first hand reports? It is on track for sucess? Could next May we see a new larger festival?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: 2 weekends down...DCA's Food & Wine on track for sucess?

The paid events are getting good attendance, some have sold out, others close to it, so to the Disney Gallery folks (the special event merchandising folks), it is a success.

But the actual events in DCA are not doing as well.

The Food Events, that hold about 40 folks, are full, but usually anyone who shows up 5 minutes before hand can get a seat.

The Wine, Beer and Spirit Events, that seats about 80 folks tend to have seats for every event left over, some of them have had as little as 7 folks attend.

Then there is the special food stands at the Farmers Market and Pacific Wharf area, they seem to never have a line, and the CM's look bored behind the windows.

So as a driver of attendance to DCA, it is definitely not a success.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• The Fantasyland guy

I feel that Disney should have put up a sign outside the park. I didnt see one.

I love the food! The lobster Quasdillas are amazing! I would love to have them do it again next year.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    The Food Events, that hold about 40 folks, are full, but usually anyone who shows up 5 minutes before hand can get a seat.

The Wine, Beer and Spirit Events, that seats about 80 folks tend to have seats for every event left over, some of them have had as little as 7 folks attend.

Then there is the special food stands at the Farmers Market and Pacific Wharf area, they seem to never have a line, and the CM's look bored behind the windows.
    Agreed. When I went the weekend before last, I saw almost no lines, and this past weekend, my assistant was able to attend a wine seminar and taste everything without a problem either getting in, or having to wait for food.

I think that promotion would have helped out a lot here, but for whatever reasons (in a long line of bad decisions regarding DCA), management has been very low key in promoting this event, and then watching to see what happens.

As they say, failure to plan is a plan to fail.

• no flash photography...

I was there last weekend. i wanted to go, but we had just eaten as we were walking by on saturday and I totally forgot about it on Sunday. Myabe I'll try again before it's over.

• What have I done?

I remember this was offered at WDW in times past. Is it the same event just over here? Is this event any good? Also is it similar to the OC food and wine festival if anyone ever went to those?

LOL sorry for 20 questions just looking for more info.

"This guy!"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    The paid events are getting good attendance, some have sold out, others close to it, so to the Disney Gallery folks (the special event merchandising folks), it is a success.

But the actual events in DCA are not doing as well.

So as a driver of attendance to DCA, it is definitely not a success.
    That is interesting... Let me give you some ideas to liven this up a bit...

1. Wine, Beer, and Spirit Events need to be general tasting events. Quarter off a popular area of DCA to hold this event... The perfect place is next to Monsters, INC for now... keep the tasting event price low also serve bread and cheese with the event, and produce an etched commemorative glass that people can take home... (collector item! DING!)

2. And the General tasting event invite more than one winery, brewery... Don't depend on current trade relationships in order to pore, open it up to as many wineries that want table space. Wineries will then cross promote your park to their loyal customer base... Wine club members...

3. MARKET the event in the media... DUDE... If you do it in park, it won't drive people into the park, and the only people who will know about the event are AP'ers.

4. Work with the Orange County Wine Society!!! DUH!!! They hold events across the street every year at the Hilton... Invite them to use your PARK!!! Cut a deal... There events are significantly large... also advertise with the LA Restuarant trade show... as well as other Napa Valley trade organizations... Invite ZAP to hold a Zinfandel Trade Tasting event... Work within the wine industry trade organizations to develope the program... They know how to do this, they have been doing it for years, they can pull in the people, you can sell tickets... Cross Promotion galore... Cha-ching!

5. Tie it in to a wine competition!!! Anyone would die for a "best of show" with a Disney name on it... (It would be extra funny if Siverado Vineyards wins...)

In SF, ZAP trade tastings easily pulls in a couple thousand people to fort mason with over 300 wineries represented and who are more than willing to pay for table space... DCA could easily double or triple that number.
    Check out my other blog:

I was at the park this past Saturday for my birthday, and we decided to take in one of the tastings. It was a great experience. Flora Springs was running the one we went to and instead of paying $10 a person, as we do in Napa, the tasting was free and informative. I actually bought two bottles of wine to cellar because of the tasting. Oddly enough, the restaurant in Hollywood we did my birthday dinner had one of the bottles on their wine list, and we had liked it so well, that we ordered it to have with dinner.

I will say, I think that having more gratis tastings would be a good idea, and having more food options is necessary. I was disappointed in the lobster quesadilla, the lobster was overcooked and rubbery. I think if they had done one with brie and caramellized onions it would have worked better. YMMV.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by suzsqueak
    I will say, I think that having more gratis tastings would be a good idea, and having more food options is necessary. ... I think if they had done one with brie and caramellized onions it would have worked better.
    Happy belated birthday.

The brie and caramelized onions is making my mouth water, and is the perfect accompaniment to wine. Reading your post makes me think, "why didn't they think of that"?

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    I remember this was offered at WDW in times past. Is it the same event just over here? Is this event any good? Also is it similar to the OC food and wine festival if anyone ever went to those?

LOL sorry for 20 questions just looking for more info.
    I went to DCA this last weekend and I have been to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival (which is offered every fall at WDW). I have to say I was disappointed by DCA's version. I saw the schedule but was not able to see any of the demonstrations. They did not seem as exciting as Florida's international demonstrations, as Aussie Wine or German beers. There also was little "festive" about this festival. In Florida, there is music going on, but here little was making this a party atmosphere.

At WDW the food booths are more like little shacks with colorful signs. They are located on the main traffic path for the World Showcase. You kind of run into them as you rotate around the lake. DCA's booths are located in the out-of-the-way, dark and rundown looking wharf area. Three of the windows for samples are together and one is separated. The food servings were small and did not include tax in the price. I want to be wowed with the menu, but peach cobbler and strawberries in what looked like vanilla pudding were not innovative. At WDW, you can taste things from all over the world, frog legs from France to egg rolls in China. I would say if you want to really experience great California cuisine, go to WDW in Florida and go to the California Grill. They really show off great California food.

Over all I feel like Disney saw the DCA Food and Wine Festival as an opportunity to squeeze a few more dollars from guests. They served overpriced, uninspired food. They should have promoted it and discounted the food. It should have been a lost leader to get people into the park and improve its reputation. After people have a good impression of the Festival, then they could jack up the prices to match Florida's elaborate festival.

The bottom line is DCA disappointed again. I got to stop hoping that DCA can do anything top quality. Just as Tower of Terror, Muppets, Bug's Life, and the park as a whole are a shadow of greatness of their originals, so too DCA's Food and Wine Festival is a pale imitation of Florida's.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!