View Poll Results: Adventures Through Inner Space vs. Star Tours

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather have ATIS back instead of ST.

30 31.58%
  • I like ST and think replacing ATIS was a valid idea.

59 62.11%
  • I don't like either one of them and would like something else.

6 6.32%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Imagine ST with multiple films, some of which would be "minor variations" of one another. Perhaps guest interraction could be factored in ..... Each ride could be different, the same way Indy is slightly different from ride to ride.

It's sill possible, if Iger can mend fences with Lucas .......
    That is something I've been thinking about... Anyone remember Horizons? I hope so, because this'll make more sense faster... Imagine that, on your armrest, there's a row of buttons, and the cabin gets to vote on which "destination" you go to.

For that matter... if you keep the "blast shield " or whatever that screen is up before the voting, maybe your vote coud also determine which captain you get. Same robot, of course, but each pilot will have a different personality and script.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Let's recap ATIS.

Load into your atom-mobile and go into a giant microscope. The shrinking effect was really pretty lame.. The mini model atomm-mobiles were neat from the queue, but on the ride you just turned to the left and went into the dark.

Then you wehtn through a section with styrofoam snow flakes.... Bigger and bigger styrofoam snow flakes...

Then dark, then water molecules. Three fuzzy balls stuck together. then dark, then a hydrogen atom with a protron and an electron zipping around.

Then... oh no... the ice is melting.... we have to make you big again... Big eyeball looking at you.... done.

Fond memories, but truely lame by today's standards.
    I think a lot of people are missing the point--ATIS was one of those attractions that was visually stimulating and played on a person's sence of wonder. Yes, the technology of those visualzations is outdated by today's standards, but for people experiancing it for the first time, it IS an E-ticket. Getting to ride a pack mule for someone who otherwise has no other exposure to a pack mule would still be an E-ticket experiance. I tend to be one of those people who is saddend by the demand of ultra-stimulation 100% of the time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by lilbigguy
    I tend to be one of those people who is saddend by the demand of ultra-stimulation 100% of the time.
    Thrilling rides are fun, of course. One of the major differences between Disneyland and other theme parks, though, is the fact that you can spend the day at Disneyland...never ride a ride...never spend a dime...and still have a satisfying experience.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Even the most outdated effects in Adventure Through Inner Space were far superior to what is currently being offered in Winnie-the-Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Superstar Limo, Journey Into Your Imagination and other recent Imagineering dark ride efforts.

In fact, compared to that new stuff, the C-Ticket ATIS just as it was when closed, would be closer to an E-Ticket addition today (if someone actually considers Pooh and Buzz "D-Ticket" additions, which has been the spin)! And with updated effects, well, ATIS would be "Lightyear's above the rest!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Even the most outdated effects in Adventure Through Inner Space were far superior to what is currently being offered in Winnie-the-Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Superstar Limo, Journey Into Your Imagination and other recent Imagineering dark ride efforts.

In fact, compared to that new stuff, the C-Ticket ATIS just as it was when closed, would be closer to an E-Ticket addition today (if someone actually considers Pooh and Buzz "D-Ticket" additions, which has been the spin)! And with updated effects, well, ATIS would be "Lightyear's above the rest!"
    So true... It's funny, the difference between ATIS and the other rides above is its story. It isn't one of those "sit back and mindlessly look at pretty stuff" rides, it's an actual plot. It may have needed some cosmetic updates, but the bones beneath were perfect.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

The fact remains, ATIS was not bringing in any people. Maybe a few diehard loyalist's such as the few people who visit these forums, but they only represent 1/2 of 1% of the market. StarTours was BIG and it did bring in the crowds. I remember ATIS as a kid, and I remember how crowded it was NOT. There was never a line, and empty cars was common. Just like the People mover. It lost the crowds attention, and thats the only reason for a rides existance. Without riders, its just a waist of electricity and real-estate that could be used for something better.
    Last edited by gibbage; 04-12-2005 at 01:06 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    The fact remains, ATIS was not bringing in any people. Maybe a few diehard loyalist's such as the few people who visit these forums, but they only represent 1/2 of 1% of the market. StarTours was BIG and it did bring in the crowds. I remember ATIS as a kid, and I remember how crowded it was NOT. There was never a line, and empty cars was common. Just like the People mover. It lost the crowds attention, and thats the only reason for a rides existance. Without riders, its just a waist of electricity and real-estate that could be used for something better.
    Maybe you were going during the off-season? I always remember the queue being full when I went, which was a blessing, because it meant more time to stare in awe at the Microscope.

I think Tomorrowland in general suffered from having so many show-based attractions that have less repeatability than rides. CircleVisison, America Sings (which closed three years after ATIS), Mission to Mars, and Magic Journeys/Space Stage (which closed just four months after ATIS)... Sounds like some other attractions were having major attendance issues too. Some of those rides would have been a better home for Star Tours, bringing more guests into Tomorrowland and this providing more traffic passing back and forth past the ATIS entrance and filling any empty cars it may or may not have had.

-- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Just an aside regarding those who refer to ATIS as a "C-ticket" or "E-ticket" or whatever. I was just leafing through a Disneyland Vacations booklet from 1971. At least during that year, when ATIS was sponsored by Monstanto and adult general admission to the park was $3.50...ATIS was a FREE attraction. Also FREE were GE's CoP and The Bell System's "America The Beautiful."
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Social Imagineer

I am using all restraint to not close this thread which absurdly has Star Tours running ahead of Adventure thru Inner Space.

As if!

I call shenanigans!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    I am using all restraint to not close this thread which absurdly has Star Tours running ahead of Adventure thru Inner Space.

As if!

I call shenanigans!
    Well, let's face it, the choices were skewed. Maybe we should open a new poll with better choices.

MEanwhile, regarding the ticket book issue... CoP, as I recall, was also a free attraction, so that's not a reflection of quality. If you make people pay to see a commercial (i.e. "sponsored attraction") you're going to have smaller people coming in to see the commercial.

Here's a tidbit from themightymicroscope.com:
    ...the attraction was free when guests needed to buy A through E tickets to ride other attractions. Children would ride unsupervised over and over. To solve this problem, Disneyland began including a special admission coupon in each Child and Junior ticket book. This allowed children to ride only once. Another option was for children to use a C coupon or ride supervised by an adult.

Charging a c ticket for a "free" ride is pretty ambitious, but once Monsanto pulled out in 1977, it would have been more ambitious to raise a free/C ticket to a D or E in terms of guest perception, without some major new effects.

-- Walt Disney

• Banned User

Who can honestly look me in the eyes and tell me with a straight face that ATIS was a better ride than Star Tours?

• Social Imagineer

Um, Me.

Star Wars is a movie.

ATIS was an actual physical environment.

Without any other comparisons whatsoever, ATIS triumphs on that score alone.

If you've got a few more hours to spare, I could rhapsodize on the other ways in which Inner Space totally rules Star Tours, but I trust that won't be necessary.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Let's recap ATIS.

Load into your atom-mobile and go into a giant microscope. The shrinking effect was really pretty lame.. The mini model atomm-mobiles were neat from the queue, but on the ride you just turned to the left and went into the dark.

Then you wehtn through a section with styrofoam snow flakes.... Bigger and bigger styrofoam snow flakes...

Then dark, then water molecules. Three fuzzy balls stuck together. then dark, then a hydrogen atom with a protron and an electron zipping around.

Then... oh no... the ice is melting.... we have to make you big again... Big eyeball looking at you.... done.

Fond memories, but truely lame by today's standards.
    Which is why an updated version of the attraction, redesigned and/or rescripted, would be in order. It could work, too. Sure, thanks to an overstimulated generation with ADHD weaned on MTV and reinforced by a culture that encourages instant gratification, the dynamics of such an attraction would have to be much stronger than in 1967, but the basic concept - a journey into the microscopic and sub-atomic world - is still quite valid and rich with potential dramatic opportunities.

It's either that or shove the kids into a big black box and zap 'em with cattle prods for 5 minutes. Think they'd need Fastpass for that one?
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• Minion

Let's not forget that, before Eisner came along, Disneyland was a themepark, and the theme of Tomorrowland is... Tomorrow. Not "A long time ago." Say what people will about whether this is literal or figurative, it is a movie that, back in 1977, we were already being told happened a long time ago. Hardly a vision of Tomorrow to the audience of the mid-1980s.

But, I don't think TOO many people are arguing that ATIS is better than Star Tours. The main argument is... why is this an either/or/neither question? Looking at the rides that closed so soon after ATIS, isn't it possible that BOTH rides could have peacefully coexisted, and improved the ride mix of Tomorrowland? Clearly, it COULD have happened that way, so now it's just a matter of debating whether it SHOULD have.

-- Walt Disney

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    Who can honestly look me in the eyes and tell me with a straight face that ATIS was a better ride than Star Tours?
    I can.
    And I can also understand that different people like different attractions and not insult other people for their taste.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast