Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Staying Dry on GRR?

Now, let me start by saying we don't mind getting wet on Grizzly River Rapids. It's a lot of fun.

However, one of the last times we took it, all of us on the raft made it through the run relatively "unscathed". Until we reached the exit queue (where you're simply waiting for your turn to get off). Suddenly, this geyser went off, and coated all of us with a good couple of gallons of water each.

We guessed at the time that someone must have "pushed a button" or something to make sure we got doused. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Last edited by Wotan; 04-09-2005 at 03:18 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

That's never happened to us! We bought the ponchos and take them with us whenever we plan to visit. They make you look silly but when the ride is finished, the people who laughed are usually wishing they had some too!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Inappropriate

The trick is to hope to get soaked, and you stay dry. If you hope to stay dry, you'll get soaked. Rides are smarter than we make them out to be.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants
    The trick is to hope to get soaked, and you stay dry. If you hope to stay dry, you'll get soaked. Rides are smarter than we make them out to be.
    How true!!! It seems if I ride GRR on a really hot day to cool down, I barely get wet and if I ride it on a cooler day or at night, I get soaked!!
    EM EYE SEE KAY EE WHY EM OH YOU ES EE

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants
    you mean like that time I was making it through fine on Shipwrek rappids at Seaworld and laughed at everyone else only to have a giant wave go over my head and totaly soak me :P I swear my shoes were soo soggy for the rest of the day. And this was in november (yes I am crazy but you Californians have warm weather most of the time anyways)

• Disney fans for life!

That is usually how it is for us. We make it through the ride OK and then POW!!! the geysers get us right at the end. I believe they are set off by sensors. I can see small spots in the rocks that look like areas for reflectors or some type of sensor.

It's fun in either case. Don't go on it if you don't like to get wet...

• Reject no more!

I've experienced the wrath of the geyser. It happened in a sickening slow motion as we saw the eruption building and the delighted crowd anticipating our demise on the bridge above. Their cheers were drowned out by our screams and an impossible amount of water raining down on us. We could not have gotten wetter if we had jumped overboard.

This only happened once to me. It was the only time I was without my waterproof poncho (although I don't think that would have helped in the least).
    ><> just call me n8 <><

• Canadian Member

Do NOT lean forward. Always keep your back against the seat, or you might get a big wash of water down your back and your butt. Then of course there is that geyser at the end of the ride. Better hope it's not going off at full volume.

But for pete's sake, it's a water ride! Getting wet is the risk you take going on the ride, and it's all part of the fun.

I was on it today 4/10/05 and I got soaked. It's now 1:20 am on 4-11-05 and I knew what I was getting into when I went on it, but my socks are still wet!!

• Queen of Randomness

I was watching the rafts go through by the geyser and it seemed like every third one that went through got hit by the geyser.

Here's another way to go about riding the rapids, ride it when it's raining outside which I have done. You're already wet so it doesn't matter.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Do they change that every 3rd raft sequence in the summer? I'd be annoyed if I went on this in August when it's 85 out and didn't get wet...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Do they change that every 3rd raft sequence in the summer? I'd be annoyed if I went on this in August when it's 85 out and didn't get wet...
    Trust me on this one. If you ride this attraction, you will get wet. There's no way around it. If you don't get drizzled on the climb by those pipes, and if you don't get soaked going through the various turns and drops (isn't it funny how the raft does a 180 turn before that last big drop), then, when you hit the bottom, the geysers will hunt you down and totally saturate you.

Bring dry socks!

What I'd like to know is if they heat the water way up in the winter.

• Why do you keep talking?

awwww I'm so the opposite, I ALWAYS get the most wet on rapids rides. I rode Popeye and Bluto's Bilge rat Barges and everytime the water gushed in the raft it was definitely me facing backward getting the most of it. THAT was an insane amount of water flooding the rafts though. When I rode GRR back in 2001, I was the only one who got wet by the final drop. Big tip: If you don't want to get wet on a Rapids ride, ride on the opposite side of the raft as me.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by E Ticket
    But for pete's sake, it's a water ride! Getting wet is the risk you take going on the ride, and it's all part of the fun.
    I rode one day with shoes that I wasn't keen on getting wet, so I took them off and put them in my pockets. The CM just looked at me and said "Where are your shoes?" I stupidly explained to him that I didn't want them to get wet. His response: "put them on, this is a WATER ride". (He probably mumbled "Stupid AP" under his breath too. ) Yeah. Not one of my brightest moments considering how well I know park rules......Shoes and shirts are required. Now, if I wasn't wearing pants, that would be a whole different story!:o

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    I rode Popeye and Bluto's Bilge rat Barges and everytime the water gushed in the raft it was definitely me facing backward getting the most of it. THAT was an insane amount of water flooding the rafts though.
    Popeye's rafts are the Wettest rides we've Ever been on. One time thru, this guy sits down and pulls out his video camera! We all asked him if it were waterproof! He put it away, but looked pretty skeptical. The look on his face when he got dumped on from above was priceless.
    We learned from that ride...make the water ride the last thing you do before heading to the room, ride it to DEATH and Don't wear jeans! oooooh can you say Chafe??

GAAAAAH is it October yet? NO??

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

Waiting is getting to be physically Painful!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast