Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    I'm very surprised the The Jungle Book Cruise has never materialized.
    The only thing related to Jungle Book at any disney park ever, surprisingly, was a stage show in Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom in 1998-1999.

It'd be cool to see Jungle Cruise become Jungle Book Cruise. Yes, that'd be a cartoon, but it's a classic. It's not some cowboy doll and friends, and it's not a spaceship toy named Buzz.

• Banned User

Long before there was a Jim Hill article or a mention of Frontierland expansion by Al, Disney's resident mouth-piece/spin-meister Marcie at Mouse Info.... (also first with news of Disney Cruise Line bringing the Magic to CA for the 50th, and first with Monsters Inc. and first with.... well, just about everything.)

Marcie explained that Woody and Jessie just weren't working in Frontierland, and they were looking to do a dark ride and a couple carny rides themed to Woody's Roundup off Big Thunder trail...

You all seem to continue to think of Disneyland and you "home town" Disney park. The excitement of just happening to get lucky and seeing Mickey walking down a street mobbed by kids....

Disney is doing everything it can to transform Disneyland from home-town park, into destination resort. People taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Disneyland want to know they are going to get to see Mickey. AND, they want to see their other fravorite characters... That means Pooh and Pixar characters.

You can clinche your fists and rant at the stars and hold your breath until you turn blue and pass out.... Fact is, 10 E-Tickets is enough for any Disney park... FAR more than any other Disney park has. Disneyland IS NOT getting any more. It just doesn't make economic sense.

• Hooterville, USA

"Economical sense" is staying on step ahead of your competition.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

"Hey tourists, come check out our new big draw attractions: nothing at all"

Economic sense?

• Disney Blood Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle
    What's so wrong with cartoon rides? I was walking through there last time and thought it wouldn't be so bad. Flame away!
    Though I absolutely love Pixar films, I don't think it has the classic Disney feel to it and it destroys the Disneyland themes in the park. I think they should keep the Pixar stuff in DCA
    "Just remember the month of May followed by a nerd."

• Banned User

What about making something else.... they have a "huge" movie library sitting at their hands some of it must have western stuff in it they still have rights to...

Mabey one small woddy thing.. (they should have done the woddy version of Buzz lightyear austro blaster... it would have worked at DL and be original yet cloned...)

A cartoon west is strange...

• What have I done?

Eh I think it would be fun actually! Why not what I do enjoy is the "Patch O' Heaven" theming over there very cute, just wish it would be open.

"This guy!"

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Last time I checked, Pocahontas wasn't very popular.
    Neither was Wind in the Willows or Sleeping Beauty for that matter. Sleeping Beauty was an unmitigated box-office disaster that nearly bankrupted the studio when it was released. The point is, what may be perceived as a "bad" film can make a wonderful attraction (or landmark) as the case may be. Think about it. For example, The Resucers offers some really great options for Fantasyland attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey's Friend
    Now I know Disney owns the rights to the Disney/Pixar characters...
    Actually they don't. Every Pixar character, story and theme is liscenced and they are all royalty bearing... right down to the Penny Presses. Just an FYI.

There is more to the Disney Film Library than Pixar films. They could be so much more creative than Woody!

- FNDA
    Last edited by fearsnda; 04-10-2005 at 02:12 PM.
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Banned User

Ok, I can deal with Bambi.
    Last time I checked, Pocahontas wasn't very popular.
    Brother Bear? The playground thing in DCA already seems like too much.
    Tall Tails? I am unclear on what you are referring to
    Okay, I would personally die forty times over out of utter bliss if they made a Robin Hood ride, but Robin gets the shaft everywhere else in the park, I don't see a ride coming.

I like Woody. And I like Pixar. And let's face it, Disney's going to suck what Pixar they have dry.
    Belive it or not at one point in the 1980s they were planning to create a Robin Hood darkride.

Rides should stand on their own merit

One of the biggest problems with bringing in more Pixar characters to Disneyland, I think, is that it limits the scope of what could be accomplished with original ideas.

By forcing every attraction to being a movie tie, the entire park will be nothing more than a series of commercials for direct-to-video sequels. It's mindset that every ride has to feed an additional merchandising stream which needs to be changed.

The public will get tired of this hard sell approach and the attendence will drop off. Rides need to stand on their own merit to keep people comming to the park.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

There might be more to the Disney film library than Pixar films, but the truth is that all Disney hits (aside from Lilo&Stitch) are all in the past. Too far in the past, if you ask me. I would find it weird, and sad if Disney dug out old films from the early/mid 90s (or even earlier for that matter) to make new rides. It wouldn't make sense to me... And would seem like Disney is making a sad attempt at drawing crowds and making money. Pixar films - all of them even the now old Toy Story films are still extremely fresh in peoples minds simply because they're the best animated films anybody has seen for a while.. Not to mention the most heavily marketed properties from Disney (besides the Princess line). Kids are getting nothing but Pixar shoved down their throats at every turn... Of course these kids are going to buy it up- its all they're getting.

I never liked the Toy Story movies though, and really dislike the idea of Woody invading Frontierland... Although, WDI could theme it very nicely if they wanted... I think that there's too much pixar in the parks... But its what is making Disney money right now. Any corporation would capitalize on it... Disney might just be taking it too far... They'll figure it out sooner or later (I'm hoping that they figure it out sooner though!)

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Long before there was a Jim Hill article or a mention of Frontierland expansion by Al, Disney's resident mouth-piece/spin-meister Marcie at Mouse Info.... (also first with news of Disney Cruise Line bringing the Magic to CA for the 50th, and first with Monsters Inc. and first with.... well, just about everything.)

Marcie explained that Woody and Jessie just weren't working in Frontierland, and they were looking to do a dark ride and a couple carny rides themed to Woody's Roundup off Big Thunder trail...

You all seem to continue to think of Disneyland and you "home town" Disney park. The excitement of just happening to get lucky and seeing Mickey walking down a street mobbed by kids....

Disney is doing everything it can to transform Disneyland from home-town park, into destination resort. People taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Disneyland want to know they are going to get to see Mickey. AND, they want to see their other fravorite characters... That means Pooh and Pixar characters.

You can clinche your fists and rant at the stars and hold your breath until you turn blue and pass out.... Fact is, 10 E-Tickets is enough for any Disney park... FAR more than any other Disney park has. Disneyland IS NOT getting any more. It just doesn't make economic sense.
    ahh so much truth and then so little all at once

anywho I agree specialized meet and greet areas are great in my opinion, it lets people who MUST have pictures know were to go

I also have no problem with Woody getting a small ride in Frontierland (I don't care as much for the Carny stuff though)

however your both wrong and right on the Etickets. I mean it's true in a way Disneyland could easily go without Etickets, I'm going to point out that the Magic Kingdom in WDW has gone 13 years without an Eticket as opposed to Disneyland's 10 and who's got the higher attendance?

so obviously Disney could easily run with a stratagy of giving DCA Etickets and giving Disneyland D tickets

but obviously they're not doing that totaly either as they're giving Disneyland a Subs Eticket

it is all about balance and capacity, Woody could turn out fine and it looks like they're really planning for the future. not every ride needs to be an Eticket

and on the subject of characters I'm not sure, rides need to make the RIDER the star not the characters and I think that's the only thing WDI needs to look at when doing a ride, it's true we're running out of good general themes. We're now getting into the land of niche themes I mean I don't think there IS a good theme left that everyone will completly understand or apperciate so characters makes since for the larget majority of guests coming to the parks (as far as giving guests something to relate to)

I do think that imagineering will also give us some good origional stuff at some points

lets just wait and see

• Minion

>>Neither was Wind in the Willows or Sleeping Beauty for that matter. Sleeping Beauty was an unmitigated box-office disaster that nearly bankrupted the studio when it was released. <<

Point-in-fact, Sleeping Beauty was in the top ten highest grossing films of 1959, it just cost too much to be profitable at the time, and was perceived unfavorably when compared to the warmer Snow White and Cinderella.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I do think that imagineering will also give us some good origional stuff at some points
    The good original stuff will go into DCA (before and/or after being cloned into other resorts... clones are a fact of life, deal with it).

Disneyland does not need E-Tickets to drive attendance, DCA does. Disneyland needs smaller rides to economically increase capacity without driving up operational costs.

As for carnie.... Hopefully they'll have more of a Dumbo type overlay than an Orange Stinger type overlay.

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    There might be more to the Disney film library than Pixar films, but the truth is that all Disney hits (aside from Lilo&Stitch) are all in the past.
    Some perspective:

Pochahantus (1995) Worldwide Theatrical Gross = $346,079,773.00
    Toy Story (1995) Worldwide Theatrical Gross = $354,300,000.00

They were both HUGELY successful! They are both from 1995. They are both "in the past". So why is one more likely to get an attraction (I personally think neither of them deserve an attraction) than the other?

I think it's because WDI has a woody for Woody that's why!
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast