Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Umm, Toy story is still mainly a disney classic... it came out a while ago, when I was really young, and it's still brilliant! So what if pixar helped with it? it's still disney!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Umm, Toy story is still mainly a disney classic... it came out a while ago, when I was really young, and it's still brilliant! So what if pixar helped with it? it's still disney!
    Actually Pixar made it, Disney just distributed it. It was not Disney's creation and that really doesn't bother me at all. There is just something about Pixar themed stuff in Disneyland that makes me uneasy. I'm not even a purist... I'm all for change but Pixar and Toy Story in general just put me off as far as attractions go. I wish I could nail down why! It just seems - not right. Sigh.
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• A Little Rabid

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    OMG If I see one more CARTOON attraction in any disney park I will begin to lose hope. They're headnig the wrong way. Who the hell cares about Woody?
    I'd pick Woody over Buzz any day.
    I lurk.

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by fearsnda
    Understandable. However, why Woody???? If we MUST base a Frontierland expansion on some sort of Disney animation the how about:

Bambi,
    Pocahontas,
    Brother Bear,
    Tall Tails,
    or Robin Hood.

But why Woody? WHY???????????

Thanks. that's all for now!

- FNDA
    Cause Disney really makes no profits off of these cartoons anymore, if you think about it. Check out your local Disney store; It's probably full of Pixar, Stitch and other more mainstream Disney.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Some perspective:

Pochahantus (1995) Worldwide Theatrical Gross = $346,079,773.00
    Toy Story (1995) Worldwide Theatrical Gross = $354,300,000.00

They were both HUGELY successful! They are both from 1995. They are both "in the past". So why is one more likely to get an attraction (I personally think neither of them deserve an attraction) than the other?

I think it's because WDI has a woody for Woody that's why!

I addressed this:
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Pixar films - all of them even the now old Toy Story films are still extremely fresh in peoples minds simply because they're the best animated films anybody has seen for a while.. Not to mention the most heavily marketed properties from Disney (besides the Princess line). Kids are getting nothing but Pixar shoved down their throats at every turn... Of course these kids are going to buy it up- its all they're getting
    It's undeniable that the majority of toys and other merchandise that kids are getting nowadays from Disney is Pixar-related or Lilo and Stitch. Try finding some Pocahontus or Aladdin merch. Its just not there. Try finding a Buzz Lightyear toy or a Nemo plush... it is there.

Also, Toy Story has a much stronger "remember-factor" than Pocahontus did, regardless of the box office gross. It was groudbreaking, enjoyable, and completely fresh. Not to mention Toy Story 2 made the Toy Story characters even stronger than they were with a hugely successful box office sequel, unlike the direct-to-video Pocahontus sequel AND since TS2 was released in 1999, its "fresher" in peoples minds than 1995's Pocahantus.

It makes sense Disney would pursue to make even more money off the Toy Story characters...

Whether or not I or any of us agree with (or are happy about) it is a different story..

• Rainicorn.

Okay, I doubt the whole land will be WOODYLAND© (and where did this rumor come from?). I'm going to give WDI/Oiumet/DL honchos the benefit of the doubt and say they know better than that.

As it's been stated earlier, Woody is "fresher" in people's minds and really, it is the closest thing RECENTLY (that's Disney) that is Western/Frontiersish even though his basis is in Toy Story, etc. It just goes that way. I say, add SOME Woody in the form of a ride or two (Woody's Corral, perhaps?), but don't change the whole darn land. While we're at it, fix Tom Sawyer's Island, and a couple more Western type rides that don't have to do with Toy Story..... voila.... FL Refurb.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    Belive it or not at one point in the 1980s they were planning to create a Robin Hood darkride.
    Ohmanohman.

Neither was Wind in the Willows or Sleeping Beauty for that matter. Sleeping Beauty was an unmitigated box-office disaster that nearly bankrupted the studio when it was released. The point is, what may be perceived as a "bad" film can make a wonderful attraction (or landmark) as the case may be. Think about it. For example, The Resucers offers some really great options for Fantasyland attractions.
    Well, for the majority of my life, the line for Mr. Toad has been quite short, and wasn't there a time when he was rumored to be on the way out before everyone found out you get to go to hell.. excuse me, The Inferno Room.

Actually they don't. Every Pixar character, story and theme is liscenced and they are all royalty bearing... right down to the Penny Presses. Just an FYI.

There is more to the Disney Film Library than Pixar films. They could be so much more creative than Woody!

- FNDA
    That's interesting, I didn't know they were still paying.

All this expansion area is just where the Festival Arena and the petting zoo, right?

• Rainicorn.

Aw, I loved Robin Hood as a kid. I need to break that out on VHS!

Oh, and Michelle, I believe the expansion area is the Festival Arena and zoo... I don't see any where else that's feasible.

-- robotarmada.net --

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    Aw, I loved Robin Hood as a kid. I need to break that out on VHS!

Oh, and Michelle, I believe the expansion area is the Festival Arena and zoo... I don't see any where else that's feasible.
    I asked because a lot of people seem to be thinking it would be some massive redo of the entire area, I.E. Golden Horseshoe, etc. And I don't think there's much to object to when all they'd be eliminating is an area reserved for private events and some goats (although I'd miss them).

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle
    I asked because a lot of people seem to be thinking it would be some massive redo of the entire area, I.E. Golden Horseshoe, etc. And I don't think there's much to object to when all they'd be eliminating is an area reserved for private events and some goats (although I'd miss them).

well I can see a few people missinterpeting with TDLfan said but what was meant is that in Tokyo the Golden Horseshoe has become a Woody meet and greet

as far as OUR expansion would go they'd be addint in a few new rides into the private party area

however it should be noted that there is yet another group of people that thinks that the festival area should be used to house the next giant Eticket

• Rainicorn.

....God I have no idea what the hell they'd put in the Festival Arena that would be an E-Ticket and FL-themed... :confused:

-- robotarmada.net --

....God I have no idea what the hell they'd put in the Festival Arena that would be an E-Ticket and FL-themed... :confused:
    actualy I meant people want an Eticket in the festival area (the most commonly suggested one would be Western River Expedition)

however what Disney is planning is to take the festival area and turn it into a Woody themed area were you could have character greets a carousel and a Woody darkride

and that Woody area would serve as a transition from Fantasyland to Frontierland

I really hate the carousel idea that I've heard from people because I think we have enough in the resort as it is (if they're going to do any spinners at all they should make sure they're at least DIFFERENT from each other)

• Rainicorn.

Yeah, I knew what you meant.

That Western River Expedition sounds interesting. I hope it wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread, but could someone explain the idea? Would that be something like GRR mixed with the Jungle Cruise? They couldn't do another coaster...

-- robotarmada.net --

Yeah, I knew what you meant.

That Western River Expedition sounds interesting. I hope it wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread, but could someone explain the idea? Would that be something like GRR mixed with the Jungle Cruise? They couldn't do another coaster...
    it was basicaly Pirates for WDW before WDW decided that it didn't want to be unique and wanted a ghetto version of Pirates instead

many of the ideas were eventualy incorperated into Splash Mountain (no the 50ft drop was not one of the ideas included )

I really wish I could know more about this ride but all I've been linked to are a few art pieces with talk about how this was planned for WDW and why it never came about

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    it was basicaly Pirates for WDW before WDW decided that it didn't want to be unique and wanted a ghetto version of Pirates instead

many of the ideas were eventualy incorperated into Splash Mountain (no the 50ft drop was not one of the ideas included )

I really wish I could know more about this ride but all I've been linked to are a few art pieces with talk about how this was planned for WDW and why it never came about
    Pshaw. WDW is all up ons, trying to steal all our rides.

That is really interesting! This is the first time I've actually heard of this Western River Expedition... Too bad it never came to fruition. Was it funding, perhaps? The tight budget of Disney came to the neck of WRE and wrung the crap out of it?

Anyway, I wonder if one of the ideas out of WRE was that crazy 2nd drop in Splash Mountain where you go down UP down... woo.. that one makes my stomach floppity (in a good way).

-- robotarmada.net --

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast