Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

they should just open that area up and make an entrance to a new land next door to toon town. there is a building to the left of toon town that is exactly the same size as toon town. if this bulding was removed there would be room for quite a large expansion. maybe dinosaurs could frequent that area. or maybe they could build beastly kingdom there . it would fit.
    Last edited by felixthequick; 04-11-2005 at 12:49 PM. Reason: punc.

• Minion

This is happening at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot already...

Would be sad to see it continue on at Disneyland.

Big question: Where is OUR Matt?

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    Pshaw. WDW is all up ons, trying to steal all our rides.

That is really interesting! This is the first time I've actually heard of this Western River Expedition... Too bad it never came to fruition. Was it funding, perhaps? The tight budget of Disney came to the neck of WRE and wrung the crap out of it?

Anyway, I wonder if one of the ideas out of WRE was that crazy 2nd drop in Splash Mountain where you go down UP down... woo.. that one makes my stomach floppity (in a good way).
    well basicaly it would've been like our Pirates except western themed

the idea was that the Caribean was too local for east coasters and that the western theme would be more exciting for them

the reason pirates was built instead was because tons of people went to the Magic Kingdom hearing about pirates and were shocked when they couldn't find it anywere, so Disney just built a real quick version of the ride and put it into adventureland

as far as Western River expedition would've gone it was to have been connected with a minetrain coaster (later became Big Thunder Mountain) and the coaster was supposed to run through the showbuilding for one dramatic sequance of the Western River expedition ride

all I know of as far as what Splash took from Western River is that the brightness of the showscenes was one idea (as opposed to the stereotypical darkness of darkrides) and the part were the Flume runs parralel to the rivers of america

Where this thread is going brings up a good point. Maybe instead building a Pixar attraction as opposed to a Disney attraction, they (WDI) should consider building neither. The best "Disney" attractions have been the ones that had nothing to do with a Disney film. POTC, The Haunted Mansion, "it's a small world" and Space Mountain have no Disney film as a basis. The Matterhorn, some would argue is based on "Third Man on the Mountain", but I've heard stories otherwise. My point is, the rides that are memorable and that have historically defined the Disney look, have been taken from History, from Popular Culture, or simply out of thin air. Nowadays, it seems as though every attraction has to have some kind of specific theme. Tower of Terror in America needs the Twilight Zone, Rockin Roller Coaster needs Aerosmith, and so on...
    Perhaps the risk that needs to be taken is to find a completely new concept, one that has never been seen on the big or small screens with no Disney (or Pixar) characters, and with a story everyone or no one will find familiar. Hey, it's worked for 'em in the past!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• CM for 4 years!

They can't really tear out that building next to Toontown... It's the cast member area. They'd have to tear out cast parking as well as the corporate offices, and that "beautiful" green bulding is such a "highlight" on the five freeway.... who am I kidding, rip it out. :P

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    They can't really tear out that building next to Toontown... It's the cast member area. They'd have to tear out cast parking as well as the corporate offices, and that "beautiful" green bulding is such a "highlight" on the five freeway.... who am I kidding, rip it out. :P
    Um that beautiful green building (actually it's yellow from the other side), houses my office! So, um, no! That building has to stay!

Actually there is The Magic Music Days building back there - they can tear that out and displace all the high school bands and choirs - I say let 'em do their warm-ups in Millionaire or something
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    My understanding is that those building serve as a legel segway from the point where the fireworks are launched and where the public can watch them. Unless Disney can launch them across Ball where that gawdy castle themed hotel is, I doubt they can remove the buildings back there and also have fireworks.

That said, they do shut down Towntown each night to keep complaint with the legal codes, so I suppose they could shut down the new land as well. If however it contained an E-ticket in this "new land" you are now looking at an area and e-ticket that can only opperate as little as 75%- 90% of the working day.

I think they should persue buying that damn castle hotel anyway and begin building new offices, training centers and storage back there anyways.

i agree the land behind fronteir land is to presious for offices and training centers. if they could replace them across the street, it would create a grand exitement for expansion.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by fearsnda
    Some perspective:

Pochahantus (1995) Worldwide Theatrical Gross = $346,079,773.00
    Toy Story (1995) Worldwide Theatrical Gross = $354,300,000.00

They were both HUGELY successful! They are both from 1995. They are both "in the past". So why is one more likely to get an attraction (I personally think neither of them deserve an attraction) than the other?

I think it's because WDI has a woody for Woody that's why!
    Also keep in mind that Pocahontas was following a series of smash-hit instant classic animated films: Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King. Theater goers were probably expecting continuing greatness.

By comparison, no one had heard of Pixar when TS came out.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Do not tell me there is going to be a 2007-2008 Frontierland expansion featuring stupid Woody and friends!!!
    I certainly hope not. The Toy Story films were great but Frontierland is not the place for them (nor is Tomorrowland IMOP).
    An expansion north of Big Thunder is inevitable, but please, no more diluting of the Land's theme ala Pooh in Critter Country.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Official Mice Chat person

Eek... I really hope this is a rumor. Woody isn't authentic. The rest of Fronteirland is... Woody is a toy. They need to expand Fronteirland with a real, authentic fronteir theme.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Do not tell me there is going to be a 2007-2008 Frontierland expansion featuring stupid Woody and friends!!!
    NOOOOOO!!!! THATS LAME!!!!!!!!

• Minion

Frontierland is in need of some serious help. Today's Frontierland doesn't really feel like you're in the frontier. The roads are all paved, there is no stagecoach, and the only attraction is BTRR, a worn out shooting gallery and two restaurants. If they expand this, I do not believe woody is in the best interest of the old frontier. Maybe a pony ride that features Woody and his pals would be ok, but no dark, AA, or any other ride based on this character. There has to be a better concept to bring the old frontier back to life. At least thats my opinion.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VWSpawn
    Frontierland is in need of some serious help. Today's Frontierland doesn't really feel like you're in the frontier. The roads are all paved, there is no stagecoach... At least thats my opinion.

To add insult to injury, they have a fake stagecoach with wheels that dont turn that is actually a McDonald's.

They seriously need a new land in that area, and it doesn't have to be either FRONTIERLAND or FANTASYLANDish.

Discovery Bay is still imagineering's secret dream. At least Tony Baxter's.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345