Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Maybe you enter the monster world threw a Hollywood Closet door? It will be interesting to see how they tie this in. I do look forward to this ride because it adds a new experiance to DCA. After I ride it then I'll make up my mind if its good or not.

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    hmm, actually, Haunted Mansion is now based on a movie, hense the floating leota, and different face, and POTC is now based on a movie to... They might of came out before, but since theres now movies... well.. So were looking at, Small world, Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, All the main street cars, Innoventions, Matterhorn, autopia... Hmm, if this was like this, disneyland would suck
    I don't think it was so much to match the movie but to upgrade the wow-factor of the ride and bring it into the 21st century. Also, Madam Leotta is still the original Leota Thomas in the Seance Room and at the end. Eleanor Audley (of Maleficent fame) is still the voice in the seance room and I believe Leota Thomas face and voice are used at the end.

And I don't understand how because a movie was based on a ride that the ride is now based on a film? That doesn't make any sense

Quote Originally Posted by VWSpawn
    Maybe you enter the monster world threw a Hollywood Closet door? It will be interesting to see how they tie this in.
    Actually the attraction is in the props area of HPB and from the looks of it the facade of the building is being painted to resemble a bunch of doors. Movie sets do have lots of doors to be used in filming different scenes and such... don't see how the connection is too far off
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by VWSpawn
    Maybe you enter the monster world threw a Hollywood Closet door? It will be interesting to see how they tie this in. I do look forward to this ride because it adds a new experiance to DCA. After I ride it then I'll make up my mind if its good or not.
    Cher's closet? Tim Allen's closet? Whoopi's closet? Oh, the recycling possibilities are endless.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I didnt even like the Monsters Inc. movie, so I still hope there is no ride.

• Minion

Well, let's see, if you got rid of Disney-Lands that didn't have cartoon darkrides before Toontown (the worst ever Disney expansion IMO) you'd only have:

Frontierland
    Adventureland
    Tomorrowland
    Main St. USA
    Critter Country

I agree, if SSM was going to use a different vehicle like Buzz did, I'd give the ride the benefit of the doubt. If SML was going to use a new set of characters like CBJ and HM and PotC and Jungle Cruise and America Sings, I'd give the ride the benefit of the doubt.

But I've been on the SuperMonster Limo ride, and it was a boring ride vehicle. And I know the Monsters characters, and they bored the brains out of me... You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, especially with a polyester budget.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

When I first saw Monsters, I thought the entire "flying door sequence" was actually made with a ride tie-in in mind. And wondered why they never went that way.

I don't think a regular dark ride is the answer, though. They should use some sort of vehicle similar to Peter Pan, except have it move more freely, a la Indiana Jones or Star Tours. You should dip, twist, and turn.

It also would have been fun to have to "go through a door" to get to a room where you boarded.

It doesn't sound as if we'll see any of that, though. Sigh. As far as Pixar based attractions rather than other movie based attractions, can you argue that Disney animation has hit a creative wall lately? Unless it's a direct to video sequel, not much has come out worth watching (other than, say, live action things as Pirates)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    I am sorry but I totally disagree with the Monsters Inc ride at DCA.
    I don't understand what you mean by "disagree with". You disagree it is going to happen? You disagree that it allowed them to create a timeless attraction with broad appeal to occasional visitors at a very cheap price? You disagree with what?

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Since when should we settle for "better than nothing" at Disneyland (or DCA, or any Disney park)?
    Since they keep pulling 18 million visits a year.

I see two choices:
    1) Stop going. If enough people take this option, then the parks will become even less profitable. Either the company will try to give you what you want, or give up and sell the parks off to the highest bidder. The new company may or may not give you what you want.

2) Accept that in order to be more profitable, the parks have moved from Walt's vision to a new paradigm of smaller cartoon based rides and thrill based e-tickets.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    There needs to be some imagination going on. If DCA is about California, can't they find more rides that are connected to the state in some way? :confused:
    DCA WAS about California when it opened, but DisCo has been running away from that theme as quickly as possible since opening. Bugsland, Millionaire, Playhouse, Aladdin, MSEP, Disney character shows, Pixar parade... now Monsters Inc.

10-20 years from now, I think it will be tough to find much CA left in DCA. (Thank the maker....)

My concern with Monsters Inc is that it is using the same slow track and slow, oversized vehicles that SSL had. That means a plodding ride past plywood (not cardboard, plywood) sets and static figures.... just like Pooh.

The fun dark rides have that "something extra". For Pan, it is flying over detailed sets. For Toad, it is small and fast cars that zip around, interact with, and burst through sets. For Roger Rabbit, it is spinning cars. For Buzz it is the interactive laser tag. For Alice, elevation change and lots of turns.

The rides with bigger vehicles that are just a plodding trip past plywood sets with static figures.... Pinoc, Snow and Pooh.... are less fun.

Everything I've heard about this low budget overlay of Monsters Inc makes it seem more and more like Pooh and less and less like the fun dark rides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12