Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1

    • now on the mainland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    386

    (TL '98) The shadow that lingers

    Okay, so TL is looking great- actually it's looking better than great, it looks downright amazing! TL '98 will be remembered as that dark spot in history the same way facism held it's brief dark spot in history for Germany. But, it's over, we can breathe a big sigh of relief and enjoy Disneyland again instead of getting that sick feeling in our stomach over how much it's declined.
    Yet, one thing bothers me. Though the times have changed, a symbol remains. Imagine if the swastika remained in front of the Reichstagg after WW2 ended. You see it, and it's as if the happiness and joy leave you for a single fleeting moment. Of course you brush it aside because it is so small compared to all the other great things around you. Yet that disturbing shadow lingers in your heart. I speak of noneother than The Observatron. Though I'm on the other side of the country, thanks to everyone who's posted pics I've been able to see the wonderful transformation....but that THING! It remains! I feel as though the evilness that comes from it lingers in the air, and that TL can never fully recover. Am I alone in this feeling? Matt, if you read this thread, please get rid of it. Put an attraction there, or put nothing there. Just please get rid of the Observatron. The remaining gold and bronze trim alone serves as a reminder to all future DL execs never to repeat this fatal mistake. I'll be more than happy to do the job myself for FREE when I come on July 17th as my gift to Disneyland! Who's with me? Death to the Observatron!!!

  2. #2

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,873
    it should be pointed out that the sources that said earlier last year that Tomorrowland would get a new color scheme also said that while the observatron wouldn't be down for the 50th that after the 50th it may be replaced with something else as part of a 5 year tomorrowland restoration plan

    right now WDI is considering several different ideas for the space

  3. #3

    • now on the mainland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    386
    Great news! Thanks Jspider! I understand time and money are neccessary for it's replacement! Any hints as to what various ideas WDI has in mind?

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    it should be pointed out that the sources that said earlier last year that Tomorrowland would get a new color scheme also said that while the observatron wouldn't be down for the 50th that after the 50th it may be replaced with something else as part of a 5 year tomorrowland restoration plan

    right now WDI is considering several different ideas for the space
    several ideas??? BAH, their is only 1 idea needed...PUT THE ASTRO ORBITOR back up their! geez I should be chairman of Imagineering.

  5. #5

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by CA_man_stuck_in_VA
    Okay, so TL is looking great- actually it's looking better than great, it looks downright amazing! TL '98 will be remembered as that dark spot in history the same way facism held it's brief dark spot in history for Germany. But, it's over, we can breathe a big sigh of relief and enjoy Disneyland again instead of getting that sick feeling in our stomach over how much it's declined.
    Yet, one thing bothers me. Though the times have changed, a symbol remains. Imagine if the swastika remained in front of the Reichstagg after WW2 ended. You see it, and it's as if the happiness and joy leave you for a single fleeting moment. Of course you brush it aside because it is so small compared to all the other great things around you. Yet that disturbing shadow lingers in your heart. I speak of noneother than The Observatron.
    Did you just compare a useless piece of space junk to the symbol that represented the most misguided evil act in human history? Isn't that a bit, oh I dunno; melodramatic or over the top?







  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Did you just compare a useless piece of space junk to the symbol that represented the most misguided evil act in human history? Isn't that a bit, oh I dunno; melodramatic or over the top?
    no becaues Tommorowland'98 was a travesty that led to the deaths of the Submarine Voyage, Circle vision, the peoplemover, captain eo, sigh.....

  7. #7

    • now on the mainland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Did you just compare a useless piece of space junk to the symbol that represented the most misguided evil act in human history? Isn't that a bit, oh I dunno; melodramatic or over the top?
    Well, I needed something to compare it to for dramatic effect. Secondly, I posted this late at night on my grave shift (I was having trouble staying awake), and thus my creativity (which is rare enough) could not find an adequate metaphor. Please don't take the comparison too seriously.
    I should mention that instead of comparing it to facism, I did consider the Galactic Empire in Star Wars. However, I decided against this since some people already want TL to become associated with Star Wars, and I do not neccessarily agree with that idea.
    It was all meant in good fun. If you found it in poor taste, I apologize.

  8. #8

    • Inappropriate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    several ideas??? BAH, their is only 1 idea needed...PUT THE ASTRO ORBITOR back up their! geez I should be chairman of Imagineering.
    But what if it's a ride COOLER than the astro orbiter? Maybe something like...like... bah! Yeah astro orbiter needs to go back up there. NOt much room for anyhting else, except like a drop tower, but that's an awful idea.

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  9. #9

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    several ideas??? BAH, their is only 1 idea needed...PUT THE ASTRO ORBITOR back up their! geez I should be chairman of Imagineering.
    I have no idea

    in this case I'm just repeating what I've heard

    I have no idea what will be put up there but I hope to be pleasantly suprised

    WDI did EXACTLY what I wanted them to do with the mural (well not completly exactly but by they were so close I'd swear

    anywho I'm sure that if the right amount of money is given then WDI will do something great with that platform

    something to show that Tomorrowland's heart still beats

  10. #10

    • Reaver of Souls
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Resident of the Etherial...
    Posts
    1,238
    Geez, if The Stratosphere in Vegas gan put mutiple rides on top of their tower, don't you think the Imagineers could come up with something awesome to go there? Not that I'd mind the Astro, of course!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

  11. #11

    • Resident Neuroscientist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Geez, if The Stratosphere in Vegas gan put mutiple rides on top of their tower, don't you think the Imagineers could come up with something awesome to go there? Not that I'd mind the Astro, of course!
    The Strat is also much bigger with better supports...I think the issue w/ the Orbitron Tower is that it could not support a ride w/ the stress Rocket Rods provided, and I'm sure that ride did a number on that tower, too, so it will probably require a good deal of work to make it able to hold a ride, again.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!


  12. #12

    • Reaver of Souls
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Resident of the Etherial...
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    The Strat is also much bigger with better supports...I think the issue w/ the Orbitron Tower is that it could not support a ride w/ the stress Rocket Rods provided, and I'm sure that ride did a number on that tower, too, so it will probably require a good deal of work to make it able to hold a ride, again.
    Probably true. Time and money, that's all TDA needs.

    As for us, as Zhaan would say, "Time and patience..."
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

  13. #13

    • Rainicorn.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,489
    Perhaps we should start a MiceChat charity: "Save Tomorrowland: Get Rid of the Observatron". hahaa.. all proceeds go to gutting that baby.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!


    -- robotarmada.net --


  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Posts
    1,437
    Observatron is UGLY, but honestly the elevator for Rocket Jets was fairly ugly too. But Observatron really needs to go. Last time that thing worked was like when teh Rocket Rods worked.

  15. #15

    • Resident Neuroscientist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Observatron is UGLY, but honestly the elevator for Rocket Jets was fairly ugly too. But Observatron really needs to go. Last time that thing worked was like when teh Rocket Rods worked.
    I think that aggravates me more than anything...if they are going to have that heap of space junk, it should at least be working...maybe if it was spinning it would be more acceptable. Now it just looks like some of that abstract modern art that doesn't look like anything...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. T-mobile Shadow
    By Derekuda in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
  2. Fart-ation Cafe 3 - The Smell Lingers
    By kelly in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 2013
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
  3. 'The Shadow' knows Sam Raimi
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •