Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Bear Country Refugee

Re: Sherman, set the wayback machine to Disneyland 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Reminds me of those mornings when we got up at Oh-Dark-Thirty and hustled down to Disneyland before the Rope Drop, and had breakfast at the Coffee Garden watching everyone else rushing in - although I thought it was named the "Egg House"...

The shot through the City Hall side entrance tunnel - and from the visible seam in the pavement (look at the bottom of the picture) they have repaired/replaced that storm drain line there more than once in the last 55 years... (Redone again in the mid 90's when they did the paver bricks, and they *still* haven't fixed the low spot that gets stagnant and stinky...)

And TSI with no Harper's Mill on the end.

What kind of film were these prints/slides on? There's notable color shift on some of them especially the SFR Treehouse and Jungle Cruise. (Photoshop Elements. And an LCD monitor.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    Unless the image is reversed, I think it's the Opera House side.
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

• Know More Than You Should

Great Photos!

What kind of film were these prints/slides on? There's notable color shift on some of them especially the SFR Treehouse and Jungle Cruise. (Photoshop Elements. And an LCD monitor.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    I agree. I hope you don't mind, I went and did a little color correcting ...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Oogie - thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pictures. Of course, Disneyland in the year 1974 had a very special meaning for me. It was in June of that year that I graduated from Garden Grove High School, just a couple of weeks earlier having been hired to work as a dishwasher (excuse me, DMO-Dish Machine Operator) at the Plaza Pavillion restaurant. Sadly, I missed my own Grad Night because I had a fever of I think 103 degrees that day. I worked so many others through the coming years that I always felt a little sad about that.

Anyway, the park wasn't quite as empty that summer as those pictures might indicate - but there was still a lot of concern then.

I don't have the actual figures but I recall that the park was in a real attendance slump then. In no small part that had to do with a major recession, combined with high inflation - and Annual Passports were still close to ten years away. And Knott's, Magic Mountain and Universal Studios among others were starting to provide real competition for the entertainment dollar.

There was a lot of concern among my fellow workers at that time that the Card Walker-Donn Tatum-Dick Nunis (sp?) regime was putting all of its attention toward the new parks in Florida - without thinking at all about needed improvements in Anaheim. We kept waiting for word about the needed shot in the arm - Space Mountain - and it finally came sometime in 1975.

Reminds me of those mornings when we got up at Oh-Dark-Thirty and hustled down to Disneyland before the Rope Drop, and had breakfast at the Coffee Garden watching everyone else rushing in - although I thought it was named the "Egg House"...
    It remained Hills Bros. until (I believe) the mid-late 70's when it became the "American Egg House" (sponsored by the American Egg Board)...

Anyway, Oogie, thanks for the great pics - and for allowing me to share some memories.

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-14-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• white and nerdy

wow... everything was so grainy and scepia back then.

Awsome pics. One of my first Disneyland memories is waiting in line for the skyway.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

nice pictures

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Sherman, set the wayback machine to Disneyland 1974

Hooray for OogieBoogie-You should be dubbed as the Official Retro Disneyland Photos guy!

thanks!

What is scepia?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper

What is scepia?
    It's either...

A) A special effect for a digital image using photoshop or whatever or

B) The disease I had that caused me to miss my Grad Night in 1974 or

C) I'm just using up valuable cyberspace.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• white and nerdy

HA! I meant Sepia... I'm such a dork
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    HA! I meant Sepia... I'm such a dork
    Remember, picking on people about mipspleddings and grammar is fun, but don't let it degenerate into a flame war.

And if you ever want to blow some young CM's mind, walk into the Pin and Embroidery Shop where the Egg House used to be, and ask why they have an Ansul fire pull (with a current tag, no less) for their cash register...
    Spoiler

Because the cash wrap used to be the Show Grille for making the eggs and Mickey pancakes, they just put Ivory Plexiglas inside the vent hood and covered the hole in the counter. The grease catch cups are still on the front corners. Why they left the fire system is obvious (free to abandon it in place) - but why they refill it each year is a total mystery to me.

JWBear: I think you're right that it's the Opera House side, with the shop on the left - It can't be a flopped negative unless the train was running around the park CCW or they had the Caboose in the middle of the train construct. I saw the seam in the foreground and didn't study the background that hard.

Here's an interesting yet pointless project I just thought up: Take these pictures back to the park, and see how many of the original trees are still standing. It will be obvious by comparing the branch structure - even though they'll be a whole lot bigger.

Oh, as to the photo film question, I'm asking to see which ones faded worse (dye color stability) over time. The negatives or slides will be marked on the edges, and print paper on the back - Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fuji, GAF, Polaroid, Kirkland Signature... (Still have 4 rolls of KS Print 400-24 left in the back fridge, from when I went Digital.)

If I ever get a slide scanner, I can contribute several hundred Early Disneyland shots to the pile - Dad usually shot color slide film with an early Auto-Exposure Minolta 35MM. I really should scan in the print of me in the Carnation Milk Truck (Gurrmobile).

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Sherman, set the wayback machine to Disneyland 1974

Scepia or sepia I still don't know what it means.

Barry you are so funny! You're never a waste of cyberspace!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Remember, picking on people about mipspleddings and grammar is fun, but don't let it degenerate into a flame war.
    Just for the record, I had no idea that the word was not spelled correctly, and that was not my intent at all. I apologize to anyone involved who thought otherwise.

Now, back to 1974 and this great thread of memories...

--Barry

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Dude, awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!

Oh and sepia is a brownish-orangish color.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie

This was taken in Bear Country. Behind me is the exit from the Country Bear Jamboree.

Haha looks like a photo of TDL with the colored basic pavement right up to the building.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast