Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Splash Mountain Refurb?

After riding Splash quite a few times today, I noticed how bad it is in need of a refurb. There are so many halls in the various walls which look like failed attempts to place cameras. Also, the dog in the boat was not spinning.. the last animatronic before the foreboding-scene was missing (I believe he was Saddlesore Swanson from America Sings, but I could be wrong) and in the finale, the 3 alligators make a distinctive pneumatic/hydraulic "ting" sound (the same one you can hear if you sit next to the tikis in the tiki room).. especially after you pass by them. If you look in back of them, you can see the "rock" that one of them is sitting on is actually "opened up."

When was the last time Splash had a refurb? Even a minor one?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Splash Mountain Refurb?

When they put in the new logs, last year.

Yeah, it could use a little TLC. But what irks me more is the owl. Poor Barnaby.

• curiouser and curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    When they put in the new logs, last year.

Yeah, it could use a little TLC. But what irks me more is the owl. Poor Barnaby.
    what happened to Barnaby??

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernOverlook
    what happened to Barnaby??
    He sits there all by himself, moves and clicks his beak at people, but lost his audio. At least they took out the failed projector thing a little while ago, but still, it's creepy watching him move and click without a voice.

He sits there all by himself, moves and clicks his beak at people, but lost his audio. At least they took out the failed projector thing a little while ago, but still, it's creepy watching him move and click without a voice.
    I agree! I can't believe I left that out!

That bugs me. Can't they at LEAST sync his beak to "Zip a dee doo da"?
    I remember hearing rumors they removed the preview-photo there due to inappropriate photos not being screened in time. Was that true, or was there another issue?

• curiouser and curiouser

that IS sad..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I agree! I can't believe I left that out!

That bugs me. Can't they at LEAST sync his beak to "Zip a dee doo da"?
    I remember hearing rumors they removed the preview-photo there due to inappropriate photos not being screened in time. Was that true, or was there another issue?
    Oh no no. That wasn't it at all, the CMs had plenty of time to scan them before approving or denying. The problem was syncing up the photo with the log.

Oh no no. That wasn't it at all, the CMs had plenty of time to scan them before approving or denying. The problem was syncing up the photo with the log.
    I see. I do notice the back up of the logs varies.

But this is Disney. They can install some sort of barcodes, RFID tags, or SOMETHING on the logs to figure it out Have a RFID tag.. have it scanned for before/after the drop and associate it with the picture. Then when you come up to the owl, have it read the tag and show the appropriate picture.

The sad thing is I could build that with maybe $300 of equipment for reliable usage.

I guess it's another case of my expecting too much from Disney. Originally I thought it was just that I was getting older, but I don't really think that any more. I know I'd notice some of it as a kid.

Now that I think about it, the owl AND the holes in the walls bug me the most. ESPECIALLY the holes. They don't look natural, and could be patched in an hour while the park is closed.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I see. I do notice the back up of the logs varies.

But this is Disney. They can install some sort of barcodes, RFID tags, or SOMETHING on the logs to figure it out Have a RFID tag.. have it scanned for before/after the drop and associate it with the picture. Then when you come up to the owl, have it read the tag and show the appropriate picture.

The sad thing is I could build that with maybe $300 of equipment for reliable usage.

I guess it's another case of my expecting too much from Disney. Originally I thought it was just that I was getting older, but I don't really think that any more. I know I'd notice some of it as a kid.

Now that I think about it, the owl AND the holes in the walls bug me the most. ESPECIALLY the holes. They don't look natural, and could be patched in an hour while the park is closed.
    I did e-mail them about the owl a long time ago. They told me the first time that they were currently Imagineering something for that spot, and encouraged me to check back with them later. I've done it for about a year now, but they always tell me that they still haven't put down any plans yet :/

Yeah, the holes are distracting. They probably don't notice it I guess? I mean there's such a lack of CMs, and especially ones that really care...the holes probably go unnoticed.

• Minion

The owl showing you your pics at the end was one of the coolest features of the ride! It helped picking your log out at the end since it also gave you a number. I guess they were having problems keeping the pics correct or something? When it was working, it seemed to work just fine!

I agree, Splash Mountain does need a minor refurb. And the owl...*shudders*

I always, always wish that they would place the projection and audio back, or take him out and maybe relocate him to a different part of the ride. The screen just sits there all dirty with spit-balls and stuff. The owl's voiceless mouth movements are creppy too. It's like he's trying to tell us something but he can't!

About the last refurb:
    I don't like the new logs. they are to bumpy and jerky. I sat in the very back one time and right before th hills going into the laughing place, our log seemed to drop, and it hurt really bad.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

though by far the worst animitronic (sp?) character i have seen in the whole park is the cockatoo bird on the second level of the jungle cruise queue

and all i remember being bad from splash mountain is the aligator at the end , chewing on brear fox's tail , goes obviously about 2 inches into the water , you can even see the track he is on ..

My Maleficent tattoo

• Up is Down

The screen just sits there all dirty with spit-balls and stuff.

the screen isnt there anymore and yes it is weird with the owl not talking.... he was talking for a time at the end of last year but they turned it off again....

Now I also agree that the ride needs a refurb it seems everytime Igo on it most if not all of the AA's are out of sync and yes the crocs are making ALOT of noise.
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    The screen just sits there all dirty with spit-balls and stuff.

the screen isnt there anymore and yes it is weird with the owl not talking.... he was talking for a time at the end of last year but they turned it off again....

Now I also agree that the ride needs a refurb it seems everytime Igo on it most if not all of the AA's are out of sync and yes the crocs are making ALOT of noise.
    oh. How long has it been gone? maybe I've just missed it. I don't usually look up there anymore. Well, thanks for telling me.

Although it was really dirty when the screen was still there.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Now Disneyland has had that photo thing there forever right? In a wicked strange turn of events, sometime in the last few months WDW's Splash has added a photo thing to the end of the ride...its never on. You think if they can't synch it up they wouldn't be expanding it.

Odd that they can build a whole mountain for the ride...but can't synch a photo to a log.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast