Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Re: yay!! The grand Californian!!!

It truly is "Grand." Definitely the nicest hotel near the park and probably one of the best overall hotels in Orange County. The best being the St. Regis Monarch Beach and the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel...but they're even more $$$ than GCH and you can't walk to Disneyland from them!

The architectural and decorative details of GCH are astonishing and they really did a nice job with the theming. Be sure to take advantage of the perks offered, such as early entry to Soarin', free architectural tour, and the morning fitness walk thru DCA (if you're into that sort of thing).

The common areas are more impressive than the guest rooms, which are a bit on the small side. I also thought the bathrooms were just OK (small tub and not particularly luxurious materials), especially compared to other newer 4- and 5-star hotels. But the convenience of being so close to the action of the parks and DTD more than make up for these minor shortcomings. I'll be there in less than 2 weeks. I'm so excited.

I'm sure you will be DAZZLED. What a great birthday present!

PS: Any MCers been to the new Mandara Spa at GCH? Mandara is considered one of the best and has locations throughout the world. But it seems really expensive, even by Disney standards. An 80-minute massage, with a mandatory 18% gratuity is $224.00. A 50-minute facial is $177.00. Together, that's another night at the GCH...with a theme park view.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

We have stayed at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel (GCH), 7 times now. We either get a Downtown Disney view, or a Theme Park view, these views come with balconies! We love the Downtown view because you can watch the fireworks from your own balcony, or people watch! Theme Park view is usually a view of the Grizzly River Rapid ride, that view is nice too, especially in the morning when the park is closed, and there is a mist in the air…

Anyway, guests of the GCH, have a private entrance into Disney’s California Adventure Park. We liked going through security there, and walking across the esplanade into Disneyland. That way we bypassed the long security lines in Downtown Disney.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful, it’s styled after the Arts and Craft movement, the hotel looks somewhat like the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite.

I have never had a bad room, every night there is turn down service, and they leave Disney chocolates on your pillow! Beds are comfy, free in room High speed Internet, if you don’t have a laptop/computer with you, you can logon to one in the business center if you need too!

There is a small in room safe (you take the key) for small valuables; it’s big enough for jewelry and prescriptions you don’t want left out!

Staff are very friendly, and willing to help you. I called house keeping for an extra box of tissues, I expected a long wait, but not more than five minutes they were at my door with tissue box in hand!

This hotel has a great location; especially after a long day in the park it’s a short walk back to your room! I could go on for days about the GCH… Try it you once, and you’ll never want to stay anywhere else!

They have two beautiful pools: The Fountain pool, a large lap pool that has a really cute turtle fountain, and the Redwood pool, that has a 100-foot water-slide, styled around the stump of a giant fallen redwood tree – it’s really fun! They also have a mini slide for the tiny kids – they also supply life vests for the little ones as well.

To access the pools you use your room key to enter, and the towels are provided for guests at a self serve towel cabana. They also have wait staff that will take your order for drinks - also nearby is White Water Snacks (cheap good food!).

Hope you have a great time there!

It's not just any ol' chocolates, you get chip & dale, mickey, and that owl (whatever the owl's name is) chocolates.

The turndown also includes those cute little "Thumper" notes saying "On this magical night, your bed has been prepared for a good night's rest; wishing you pleaseant dreams of peaceful sleep "....or something like that.

And then each night they leave a little schedule of the next days activities throughout the resort, opening times, weather forecast etc...

I love the little "do not disturb" signs...which don't say do-not-disturb at all.

I think they say something like: "There is a quietude pervading in here" and "Maid, please return this room to it's good and natural state"...with that little mouse in the Maid's uniform....

...or something like that.

So special. All the special Disney touches, and it truly makes the night "magical".

I just stayed there for the first time ever this past weekend for my two-year anniversary. I was so excited, and it completely lived up to my expectations!!

We had dinner at the Napa Rose, which was absolutely amazing (although dinner for the two of us actually ended up costing more than the room! - we got the Vintner's Menu with the paired wines). I would highly recommend this restaurant if you can spend a little extra money and like good food and wine. The staff was awesome as well.

And I thought the room was great - maybe they've replaced some of the mattresses, because I slept on one of the softest mattresses I ever have. It was so nice that I was tempted to ask the front desk what brand/type it was.

Otherwise, we had a great time. I was really sad that we only had scheduled one night/morning down there. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

The *best* thing about the Grand Californian is the location! I've already made my reservation for my second stay there for this December. We really felt like we were in the heart of the Disneyland Resort.

The staff was wonderful and the attention to detail was excellent. We loved that even the shower curtains in the bathroom were themed!

You definitely pay a premium to stay there, but my wife and I feel like it's worth it. The room is great, but it's not as luxurious as you'd expect from a $300 room.

Enjoy it!!!
    Quinn Roberts | quinnandannie.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12