Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Monsters INC at DCA

I've read a few reviews of this ride and it seems most think its fairly underwhelming. After riding it a few times myself I have to strongly disagree. My wife and I enjoyed it very much. It had a concrete story, the characters were right on, it had clever effects (I enjoyed the helicopters), and the length was very nice. Compared with the Fantasyland dark rides, I think it's right on par.

I can't be the only one who really enjoyed this ride...what do you all think?

Re: Monsters INC at DCA

I loved it, its cute for what it is. People expect this big E-tix for just a dark ride.

• With my wife....

Quote Originally Posted by Trixster
    I loved it, its cute for what it is. People expect this big E-tix for just a dark ride.
    Absolutely. I've heard people compare this little C-ticket darkride to PoTC. How unfair is that?!

Compare it to any of the Fantasyland darkrides, and it holds it's own very well. Personally, I enjoyed the ride immensely.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The problem with Disney is once they started pumping out the big, grand E-Tickets the customers never wanted to go back.

Regular guests are simply rejecting smaller- B, C, and D tickets because they expect another Pirates, Big Thunder, or Space.

Its unfortunate, but in America - bigger is better, even if the thing isn't meant to be big.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

big isn't always good.................obesity and supersize french fries aren't good! but yeah its true....

• For You!

I loved the ride - I just wish that the cars would do a little more. I like the pooh cars rumbling effect, or Snow White and Mr. Toad's quick turns and such.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• It's all nonsense

I guess it just comes down to a difference of opinion. Here's some quotes from Daddyb's pictorial over at visionsfantastic.com

Quote Originally Posted by From Daddyb's Column
    'Okay, I am finally ready to share some pictures from inside this little ride. I was happy it's not as bad as the "Pooh" ride over in Disneyland, but wow, it sure is underwhelming!'

'"Monster's Inc" will hopefully be the last half-baked idea that we'll see at Disneyland for some time.'

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I've read a few reviews of this ride and it seems most think its fairly underwhelming. After riding it a few times myself I have to strongly disagree. My wife and I enjoyed it very much. It had a concrete story, the characters were right on, it had clever effects (I enjoyed the helicopters), and the length was very nice. Compared with the Fantasyland dark rides, I think it's right on par.

I can't be the only one who really enjoyed this ride...what do you all think?
    You know, I went on it yesterday, with no line, and really enjoyed it. There are a few great effects on the ride, and it has the same "look and feel" as the movie. I went on the ride on an earlier date after waiting a longer period of time, and didn't enjoy it as much -- maybe, like Winnie the Pooh (another ride I enjoyed more the second time), it becomes more enjoyable with lowered expectations and after repeat visits.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I think Monsters Inc. is a fun, cute C-ticket ride. The effects are well done (especially Randall) and the characters are fully-realized 3D AA's. Also, it follow's the storyline of the movie much in the way the classic dark rides in Fantasyland do. So what's to complain about?

OK, the queue is a bit dull--just switchbacks on the outside of the building and pretty spare theming on the inside. It could use more of an immersive atmosphere similar to RR's CarTOON Spin. The line doesn't seem as long when you've got something fun to look at.

Overall, it's a B+.

• Former Epcot CM

Well its funny cos I was reading Tales of the Laughing Place today at work (the shop where I'm working stocks it) and it reviews both Superstar Limo and Monsters Inc. It said that in 1997 when Superstar Limo, along with other classic attractions at DCA, was still in development at WDI, it was planned to be much faster, but it was thought after the car crash of Princess Diana in a Parisian tunnel inappropriate to glamorize speeding in a metropolitan city, and thats why the ride was much slower. Now who knows what would have happened if that tragedy had not taken place - Superstar Limo could have been a lot more popular and thrilling, and not have closed at all, but even if it did, Monsters Inc might be more thrilling.

Either way, Monsters Inc sounds cool.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I guess it just comes down to a difference of opinion. Here's some quotes from Daddyb's pictorial over at visionsfantastic.com

the funny thing is , EVERYTHING is just is difference of opinion , i liked pooh , so i'm sure i will like monsters inc , as i'm sure i will like nemo and the new bride and the new POTC , its all really just opinions anyway...

and majority sure don't mean right

My Maleficent tattoo

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Well its funny cos I was reading Tales of the Laughing Place today at work (the shop where I'm working stocks it) and it reviews both Superstar Limo and Monsters Inc. It said that in 1997 when Superstar Limo, along with other classic attractions at DCA, was still in development at WDI, it was planned to be much faster, but it was thought after the car crash of Princess Diana in a Parisian tunnel inappropriate to glamorize speeding in a metropolitan city, and thats why the ride was much slower. Now who knows what would have happened if that tragedy had not taken place - Superstar Limo could have been a lot more popular and thrilling, and not have closed at all, but even if it did, Monsters Inc might be more thrilling.

Either way, Monsters Inc sounds cool.
    Yeah I've heard that, that originally it was to be your limo was being chased by Paparazzi. But now that seems a bit tasteless.

• Banned User

I went on Monsters INC on Friday (the 12th) and I really enjoyed it.

It is better than all the dark rides in Fantasyland. I wasn't expecting much, but the ride was actually very colorful with very nice sets.

I wouldn't mind to have a bit more character movement (mouth, eyes, etc.) but maybe in time.

Right now its a great little addition to DCA and Roz at the end makes the show complete!

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    OK, the queue is a bit dull--just switchbacks on the outside of the building and pretty spare theming on the inside. It could use more of an immersive atmosphere similar to RR's CarTOON Spin. The line doesn't seem as long when you've got something fun to look at.
    I agree that the outside queue is awful, but I love the interior transit authority theme. Every time we go through, I find new stuff to laugh at - the puns & wordplay are hilarious.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the whole attraction. The effects, particularly Randall and the door scene, are great, and Roz (my favorite character from the movie) is fantastic. The ginger smell in the scene at Harryhausen's is a nice touch, and they even managed to fit in the "you're making it worse!" guy.

• rebmeM roinuJ

i hate to break this chain of goodness, but i was kinda unimpressed with the ride. the sets and backgrounds looked good, but the mike and sully characters seemed to be kinda plain, they just stood there and moved their heads (eye). maybe its a little different now though. i went on it in january (or feb, cant rermeber) it was befor the "official" opening.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast