• insufferable know-it-all

Question Ticketing questions

Hoo boy, how long since *I've* had to ask anything like this?

Anyway, being a longtime AP means I often don't have to deal with questions like this, and it's been long enough since being a CM that I no longer know these answers.

My dad, his wife, her sister, niece and nephew, are going to go to the park on June 20th and 21st. Now current ticket prices (that might apply to them) are as follows:

Single Day, single park ticket (adult): $59
    Single Day parkhopper: $79 ($69 I think if you buy online)
    2-day parkhopper: $116
    3-day parkhopper: $169 ($149 if bought online at Disneyland.com)

SoCal Select Annual Passport: $119
    SoCal Annual Passport: $149
    Deluxe Annual Passport: $229

Now, I'm really only concerned about the adult prices here, not looking at the kids, and I'm not considering parking because I anticipate them only coming one or two more times in the year (my dad likes to go to DL once a year if he can help it, but his wife loves DL and would come more often if possible, which it might be, KWIM?) So the Premium is definitely out of the question.

During the fall, they drive down to SoCal a LOT for USC games, which are always on Saturday. So really, as long as they have Sunday availability, it should work. Well, that knocks out SoCal Select.

It seems to me that a regular SoCal pass would be a good call for them.

Here's the rub: both SoCal pass types are blocked out on the 21st. I know at one time, if you had a parkhopper, used all the days on it, then upgraded your pass on the last day of the parkhopper to an AP, they would do it, and just start the pass on the first day you used the parkhopper. The only stipulation I knew of is the pass you upgraded to had to be, in fact, an upgrade. That is, more expensive than your parkhopper.

I'm wondering, first of all, if they will still upgrade to any pass as long as it's more expensive, or if they've set some limit like any non-blocked-out pass on the day you upgrade or something like that. I'm assuming/hoping not, but if I'm wrong correct me.

Secondly, there's the whole SoCal issue. I'm a SoCal resident, the sister, niece and nephew are SoCal residents. My dad and his wife are not, but could easily have their AP mail sent to either local addresses. Do you think Disney would allow them to set up their passes with either my or my stepmom's sister's address? I have to imagine this comes up all the time, what with people moving, and the state of CA not issuing new licenses every time you have an address change.

I wouldn't even have to ask the second question if they were just purchasing APs outright, because the sister could buy all the tickets and do it that way, but since it'll be an upgrade, they'd be doing it in person.

Oh, that's the other question... they're always changing the system for people upgrading tickets to APs. Do they just do it at the pass processing center, or will they have to go out the gates to Guest Services? Has anyone done this recently?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Re: Ticketing questions

When you buy an SoCal AP don't you have to show your Driver's License or some proof of where you live? (ie: phone or utility bill, mortgage bill, etc) regardless of whether it is an upgrade or not due to your name being on it. I know I had to show mine and I live out of state - it was for proof of Name and Address,

When my ex roomie moved from Tucson to Anaheim he had to actually go get a state ID card to show proof of SoCal residency since he moved in with his parents and had no license.

• Earth Intruder

I don't know the answer to your first question, but I doubt they would NOT allow you to upgrade if you wanted to upgrade on a normally blocked day for whatever pass you are purchasing.

As far as the second question, I do know that they look at your driver's license as "proof" of living in SoCal -- but if you told them you just moved to [insert stepmom's sister's address here], then I think they'd accomodate.

Or.... purchase the SoCal APs online, and have them sent to your stepmom's sister's address as the passholder's address.

Your other option if you didnt want to get an AP... look in the most recent AP newsletter, I think there is an offer for $20 off a 2-day park hopper if you go with a current AP holder who shows their pass when you get tickets. I don't know if there's an expiration date on that...
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Neep meep beep

Moorigoon:

http://www.mousesavers.com/dltickets.html is a great source of information on passes. They report the following in response to your question:

"
    If you buy a restricted Annual Pass (such as the Southern California Annual Passport, which has many "blackout dates"), but you plan to start your trip on one of the blackout dates, the blackout will not apply on the day you purchase the pass. So if you go to Disneyland on a Saturday and buy an Annual Pass that is normally not valid on Saturdays, you will still be able to use it that day at both parks."

As far as the ability to purchase an AP without a zip code, the site reports the following:

"Guests must reside within zip codes 90000-93599 or Baja California 21000-22999 to use this ticket for admission and proof of residency will be required. (Disneyland is now enforcing this -- to use So Cal tickets, you must have So Cal ID!) Ticket expires 1/2/07. Thanks to Darkbeer for info!"

I hope this helps.

• insufferable know-it-all

It does and it doesn't. But thank you.

I know about the first day rule, my concern is that since the second day of their trip is the blockout, they'd actually be upgrading the pass from a 2-day parkhopper on the second day. Not that I think it should be a problem, but I like to head these things off since Disney can and does change the rules on us without warning.

The zip code thing... yeah, that's harder. However, people do move, and I, having the same surname, might be able to provide evidence through my address in the system. But obviously it's not a guarantee. I just remember something similar coming up when either my boyfriend or I bought a pass, because we live together but have different surnames, and had trouble showing proof of residency for one of us (can't remember who now) right around the time we moved. It was probably me, because he's never lived out of state. I can't remember any more.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...