Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The KIIS FM Halloween Nighmare of 94

You don't want to be elitist and say that "those that can't afford to come in shouldn't be allowed" but there is definately something to be said for the percieved value of something. If you get in for free you treat it like it was free and you steal and vandalize because you have no respect for it.

With the crowd at Disneyland being so large I wonder how many times they have just sat their on red alert and wondered if it would be better or worse to close the gates. Kinda a riot or riot situation - I guess it always works out.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingbella
    hey, no discrimination please!!
    Discrimination about people who ruined Disneyland that day? They vandalized the park! I'm sorry...but messing up that clean and beautiful looking park is a big no no...whoever does that crap are scum.

• Wicket Pan the Avenger!

I'm not trying to discriminate or alienate anyone who was put into a horrible situation to have to live on the streets like that but:

I could imagine the dialog between the 70 yr old ticket lady and the gangsta going something like this:
    "And what is you're halloween costume, young man?"

"Yo, imma cap yo a$$, i'm a gangzta, beeeech!"

As she, oblivious with age, exclaims with glee, "Ooh! Such a nice young man! Welcome to Disneyland!"
    "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
    "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
    "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

• Dont make me unfriend you

As a cross over from another thread.....

Don't judge the whole or all of them based on the actions of a few.

I think a lot of the "bad stuff" that happened was rumor and what not. However, I also think that some people wearing masks would do things they normally would not do. I don't know if there was gangbangers or not.

But surely not everybody who went and took advantage of the free day was a gangbanger and was spray painting the walls. Well, Skipper might have been, I don't know about him.

I just know that there was a way huge crowd, not enough CM's (like everyday now) and Disney lost a lot of money that day.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I heard about that, lots of gang members went in. Too bad by then Disney really wasn't using the snipers anymore. A few dead gang leaders would be a good way to show you don't **** with Mickey.

Still, let's not forget that there are many people who live in the greater Los Angeles area who simply cannot afford to take their children to Disneyland.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    Still, let's not forget that there are many people who live in the greater Los Angeles area who simply cannot afford to take their children to Disneyland.
    And from some of the thoughts in this thread, it's a good thing. Poor = Gang banger...

And really, why would a "gangsta" be at Disneyland? Better yet, why would a "gangsta" be listening to KIIS in '94

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

"When fact beomes legend, print the legend."

After 12 years, I'm sure the recollections of what happened that day have become, well, enhanced. Insanely crowded, sure. Tagging, possibly. But were the stores really "looted"? I can see increased theft--it's going to happen anytime you have that many people in the park--but looting evokes images of smashed storefront windows and other wanton destruction of property. I don't remember hearing anything about the Emporium being torched or the Omnibus being flipped over.

The "gangbanger" presence doesn't surprise me. Gangsta rap was at its peak in '94, but I'm sure there were a lot of wannabe's mixed in with the actual gang members--there were costumes afterall.

It may have been bad, but I'm sure it wasn't really as bad as some people remember.

Now, anybody wanna talk about "Disco Demolition Night" at Comiskey Park in '79?

Easy...it was FREE. People found out about it probably by word of mouth. You don't have to listen to a radio station to know of a free promo they're doing...you know one person who listens, they tell their friends and family and so on and so on.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    Easy...it was FREE. People found out about it probably by word of mouth. You don't have to listen to a radio station to know of a free promo they're doing...you know one person who listens, they tell their friends and family and so on and so on.
    Just the same, I call BS. I'm sure there may have been a few gang members there, but as usual, people who don't "know" what a gangsta looks like usually lump anyone that looks similar to their precieved notion as one.

Anytime you have a large gathering of folks, you're going to have problems. The same can be said for Grad nights. I just find it a bit elitist to blame it on people who can't afford to go when the park is full priced. Especially since no one could have known whether the person doing the shoplifting was a gang member or not.

And DUH, if people can get into the parks with costumes how can you NOT expect there not to be theft?

• Wicket Pan the Avenger!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    And from some of the thoughts in this thread, it's a good thing. Poor = Gang banger...

And really, why would a "gangsta" be at Disneyland? Better yet, why would a "gangsta" be listening to KIIS in '94
    you weren't referring to my use of "gangsta" were you? because i obviously didn't say anything offensive or prejudice.
    "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
    "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
    "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Just the same, I call BS. I'm sure there may have been a few gang members there, but as usual, people who don't "know" what a gangsta looks like usually lump anyone that looks similar to their precieved notion as one.

Anytime you have a large gathering of folks, you're going to have problems. The same can be said for Grad nights. I just find it a bit elitist to blame it on people who can't afford to go when the park is full priced. Especially since no one could have known whether the person doing the shoplifting was a gang member or not.
    I want to know when this became a social class thread. I don't think anyone here is saying "of course the poor people are all gang members" I read it as they were recalling stories of the free day having issues with gang members in the park.

But anywho, you are right about Grad Nights. Much the same can be said about Grad Nights and when my school went it was the same kind of issue, different gangs or groups ended up there with thier schools and got into quite a tassle with each other.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I want to know when this became a social class thread. I don't think anyone here is saying "of course the poor people are all gang members" I read it as they were recalling stories of the free day having issues with gang members in the park.

But anywho, you are right about Grad Nights. Much the same can be said about Grad Nights and when my school went it was the same kind of issue, different gangs or groups ended up there with thier schools and got into quite a tassle with each other.
    Yes, gangs at Disneyland is a huge problem...

I go about once or twice every two weeks, and rarely see any "gangstas" there. I've seen people tag up places in Disneyland too. Strangely enough, when I go, I always see young OC kids doing just as much if not more harm than "poorer" kids.

Personally, I think it's a teenage thing. Get enough teens together in one place, and something is going to happen. It's inevitable.

• It's all nonsense

I'm a gangsta yo.

Personally, I think it's a teenage thing. Get enough teens together in one place, and something is going to happen. It's inevitable.
    It's not always JUST teens. Anyone who think's they are bad*** and cool because they steal or vandalize Disneyland or any other public place are trouble. I never in my life felt the need to steal, litter, or tag on the walls at Disneyland and any other place for that matter, when I was a teenager and still have no need to do so in my early twenties. Has to do with the person you are and what you value and you think is right and wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast