Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How should Tomorrowland look?

So many iterations of Tomorrowland have existed over these fifty years, but I really have not fully been satisfied with any of them. While the architecture and other fixtures of the realm do appeal to me, for the most part, the paint and finishes were, and still are, problematic. The biggest problem with Tomorrowland '98 was the overuse of oranges, browns, and other highly-saturated warm colors. But, the sterility of white isn't very interesting, either.

I like the iridescent quality of some of the new blue paint used in the realm, but so much of the area seems to lack the same kind of variety found in Adventureland, Frontierland, and Fantasyland.

Using different color schemes could help to provide this variety.

Using murals, along with more complex painting techniques, would also help.

Tomorrowland '98 did, at least, add more visual detail through these techniques. The panels that flank the murals at Star Tours, for example, used two colors that faded into each other, and on top of this surface was applied gold symbols and other visual detail, which has since been lost. The giant drafting triangle at Innoventions, too, looks so odd and sterile without the faux patina and mottled look that the architectural feature sported before.

The white, cream, and iridescent blue scheme added for the 50th anniversary was a workable stop-gap measure, but, a new look is still needed to make Tomorrowland appear visionary, futuristic, and otherworldly.

• Minion

Re: How should Tomorrowland look?

They should add some chrome and glass to some of the structures. Give them a sort of "Jetsons" look. Also add more high tech lighting to the area, some fiber optics and such, especially to the bland Peoplemover track down the center of the Tomorrowland entrance. They could enhance the Star Tours mural by adding fiber obtic and LED lighting to the stars.

• With my wife....

2 words my friends.

Cat - Poo

That's fix it good!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

This isn't very specific, but I will always prefer an optimistic view of the future from a 50s-60s perspective because I think it's the only way to pull off such a land without having to constantly update it. Right now, I feel Disneyland's is a bit too modern, and as a result, it makes many of the attractions feel very "so what" in terms of theme and relevence to the world of tomorrow. I think the original Tomorrowland carried this concept off the best because that's what Tomorrowland WAS.

Chrome. Definitely Chrome.

Naaah... seriously, I think it should reflect the post-modern visions of the day: simplicity, straight lines, simple curves. Lots of glass panels and gleaming metal structures. Things like staircases and walkways should look like they're floating. Open structures, lots of light, not a lot of opaqueness. Function should follow form.

And if they're going to emphasize green-ness with plants and whatnot, they should do a better job integrating that into the scenery and walkways than just having lime trees in pots.

But mostly they should be bold and extend themselves in terms of vision and forward-looking, instead of copping out with "the future that never was" junk that they did in 1998.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Neep meep beep

Am I the only one that actually likes the retro Jules Verne look of Tomorrowland 98? The white plastic everywhere was just so... over!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

That's the thing, though, is that I don't like the way they did the '98 makeover, but I do want them to pick a vision of the future that will be able to last on and on. I know many would say that would be hard to do, but I think surviving attractions and themes (CoP and such) prove it can be done.

• rebmeM roinuJ

i saw a guy on tv who had an all black hot tub and on the bottom of the tub he had fiber optics installed in the patterns of all the constellations and every few minutes a shooting star would fly across the bottom, all fiber optics. i think if they incorperated a few things like that it would be awesome. i have othe ideas but they are way to complicated. fiber optics and LED's for nightime would be cool.

• Neep meep beep

Cool Re: How should Tomorrowland look?

Quote Originally Posted by skratch addict
    i saw a guy on tv who had an all black hot tub and on the bottom of the tub he had fiber optics installed in the patterns of all the constellations and every few minutes a shooting star would fly across the bottom, all fiber optics. i think if they incorperated a few things like that it would be awesome. i have othe ideas but they are way to complicated. fiber optics and LED's for nightime would be cool.
    You want a hot tub in tomorrowland? Isn't the failed water jet fountain enough for you?

• rebmeM roinuJ

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    You want a hot tub in tomorrowland? Isn't the failed water jet fountain enough for you?
    no no no . just the thought of shooting stars, although a hot tub...

• Banned User

Clean lines, none of this funky, fake-looking future crap.

Maybe some cool glass designs for roofs.

Blues, Whites, and Grays is the best color choice for TL- not this cheap gold crap.

• white and nerdy

I'd perfer seeing a Science Fiction type area. the most futuristic looking area in the land is the inside of Star Tours... A lived in, somewhat industrial look.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Old Timer

I think it should look like what we hope tomorrow is, transportation using fuel cells or a technology that is renewable and affordable to all much like back to the Future, anti-grav, teleports, off world travel available similar if not identical to Stargate, a peaceful world with no despot rulers, no drug trafficking, a cleaner productive society much like Star Trek, societies that create war are transported enmasse to another planet, if Muslims wish they can go to their own planet, the same for Jehovahs Witnesses or even the whole state of Israel. Mexicans wish for a better life, give them a new planet!

I guess maybe this is too much for a Disney forum.....I'll stay with Freerepublic.com
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Over Agrabah

edit: double post

I Really Like WDW's Tomorrowland. Even though we are in the future (basically everything is already invented) At least make it look futuristic
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast