Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Should Disney Capatilize on it's more mature properties for new attractions?

I think they should have walk-around charecters from Princess Monoke and Sin City walking around MGM studios.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Should Disney Capatilize on it's more mature properties for new attractions?

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    The vast majority of Disney attractions have been based on animated properties. True, there was 20,000 Leagues, the Jungle Cruise and the original treehouse. But there was a fantasy element in each of those that worked with a theme park attraction. I don't see how any of the shows you mentioned would lend themselves to a ride. They're just a bit too real for me.

Interesting idea, though!
    Now, most of the shows I mentioned do fall into the "too real" category. All except Lost, I'm going to assume most of the people arguing the Lost is a bit too "real" aren't avid watchers of the show. Now while the characters are a little more realistic and fleshed out, the actual atmosphere of the show is full of fantasy and mystery and alot of secrets. I agree that an attraction based on the show would NEVER fit in DL, but it would be perfect for DCA's backlot.

And no, Lost is nothing like the Jungle Cruise, I don't like the fact that since the show takes place on an island that it's a Gilligan's Island, Survivor, or African Queen rehash. The show is nothing like any of those things.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    And no, Lost is nothing like the Jungle Cruise, I don't like the fact that since the show takes place on an island that it's a Gilligan's Island, Survivor, or African Queen rehash. The show is nothing like any of those things.
    I meant themeing wise. What makes Lost such a cool show (to me at least), is all the plot twists. How can you convey that into a3-5 minute attraction? When watching the T.V. show, you always think you've figured it out until a new piece is added. I don't see how that can translate to an attraction.

At the most I can see a Lost based maze of some sort, but even that sounds boring.

• All you need is LOVE

great thread

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Ehh, I vote no on this one.
    The shows you have listed don't really strike me as "family", you know? They're great for more adult audiences, but I don't think most kids would appreciate it. Not that Disney shouldn't appeal to adults, but when I hear "Disney", I don't think of ABC television.
    I agree completely. These are family parks, and those shows are on at 9 and 10 for a reason.
    And it's a good reason to sell all of CapCities to the highest bidder above some minimum amount. I mena, some of those shows you wouldn't WANT to associate with Disney. (That's not to say that I don't watch them. It's just a different brand.)

There's a good reason why the Soap Opera Bistro was closed.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    I agree with you, and Lost is one of my favorite don't miss shows. But I just don't see it translating into any kind of an attraction that would have universal (no pun intended) appeal.

• Banned User

i do think though that a desparate housewives weekend at dca like the supersoap weekend at mgm would be doable and a great way to get people to go to dca. or maybe several weekends themed to disney shows. ie desparate housewives, lost, gray's anatomy and so forth. your favorite stars from each show could show up and they could theme shows or question and answer segments for each show.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    i do think though that a desparate housewives weekend at dca like the supersoap weekend at mgm would be doable and a great way to get people to go to dca. or maybe several weekends themed to disney shows. ie desparate housewives, lost, gray's anatomy and so forth. your favorite stars from each show could show up and they could theme shows or question and answer segments for each show.
    Now THAT is a great idea!
    They have enough stars here and they only have one little fall TV kickoff weekend.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Mature Disney properties such as Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp and Pollyanna should definitely have a place Disneyland...

• Banned User

They can have a lost week at DCA.. lol

give you your tickets.. then blonfold you.. put you in a golf cart.. take you backstage.. drop you off somewhere in the park without a map.. and with no CMs to help you unless you know the pass word... lol

the lost people have to work together to get out of DCA and into Disneyland... lol

• Animatronic

Disney needs to at least try to make attractions that will stand the test of time. Especially if they're going to spend $100 million. The bulk of Disneyland was based on rich historical themes with a lot of borrowing from various live action films. Tomorrowland came from current industry and futurists. Fantasyland was culled from the literature popular in early America which had been shown to stand the test of time.

The few attractions which seemed to have stronger tie-ins to a single movie, like the Swiss Family Tree House, choose to present the challenge of living in the Jungle rather than the soon to be dated characters. Disneyland was never a marketing tool slave to the current popular picture, it was more like "wow, those sets could help tell the Disneyland story."

So should Disney add attractions based on current popular TV shows? No. Can it borrow sets and ideas from those shows to make Disneyland a richer experience? Of course. Disneyland was built by studio people and they used all their experience to create the new experiences which would become Disneyland.

• Donalds younger brother

How about a from dusk till dawn ride.

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    They can have a lost week at DCA.. lol
    I had a lost weekend at DCA recently. Damn wine tastings.

Yes I think they should capitalize in a ways. I don't mean for a full blown attraction, but some studio things at DCA. They have some of the most watched television programs, movies, and music, they could bring in different crowds

I kind of brought up this in a post awhile back calling for a Touchstone Television - Superstar Television at DCA. I mean some of the top shows in the past few years such as the aforemention Desperate Housewifes, LOST, Alias, but others like Scrubs, MONK, Grey's Anatomy. They could also use the old tapes from the original Superstar TV, Which I remember from a early 1990s WDW Vacation Planning video were Home Improvement, The Golden Girls, and some other show. And those two shows are still popular in syndication.

They obviously tone the shows down, but it is a good thing to have a studio attraction or site at DCA. People would be interested to see these things, especially if it is advertised well. It would finally add some real and current Hollywood theming to DCA's HBS..

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

The biggest problem with doing a Superstar TV type show is acquiring the rights to use clips from the shows. It would require a whole bunch of contract negotiations with the stars and producers of the shows. In these modern times I don't really see it happening. Too bad, cuz the original SSTV was a fun show.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast