Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Should Disney Capatilize on it's more mature properties for new attractions?

THAT'S the idea! The hatchet bride in the Haunted Mansion is a DESPARATE HOUSEWIFE!!!
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs down Re: Should Disney Capatilize on it's more mature properties for new attractions?

No.

Disneyland does not equal ABCLand.

• Frozen lemonade addict!

Re: Should Disney Capatilize on it's more mature properties for new attractions?

Lore, you hit the nail on the head.

I have been saying since last season that LOST would be a perfect addition to the Disney MGM Studios in Florida. I think Disney is missing the boat on this. The current viewing audience and fanbase is huge and voracious. The story is carried into other mediums (books, the internet experience, video games) and is already a healthy franchise. So why not a ride? The rider wouldn't need to understand the byzantine nature of the show. A quick orientation video would get riders prepared for whatever experience was to follow.

How about this:
    - riders would queue up in the hatch (the Swan hatch to be precise)
    - the line would wind through the underground complex, so you could see the living quarters, the mural, the computer room
    - the hatch could be mildly interactive like the Indy ride, where the blast doors could threaten to close on guests, the Mamas and the Papas would play on the stereo, the computer could send cryptic messages (from Walt?) to people waiting in line, the countdown could tick down to zero causing mild havok, etc.
    - An orientation video from Dr. Marvin Candle (or is he?) would be shown introducing the latest Dharma experiment that you (the rider) have volunteered for
    - riders would continue through the tunnels and arrive at a boarding platform where they would board the ride vehicles.
    - the ride would be an indoor coaster through the underground complexes of the island (other hatches) where riders would have a run-in with "the monster"/black cloud thing that would scan you to see if you're "good" or "bad"

I think the queue alone would make the ride experience worthwhile to LOST fans. Of course, the ride would end at a gift shop where guest could buy copies of LOST on dvd in order to create new LOST fans, because hey, who doesn't love LOST? (rhetorical question, don't answer and burst my bubble) To people who think the show is unadaptable to a ride experience, I would say look at THE TWILIGHT ZONE. By lifting the atmosphere of the show and not a specific episode story line, Imagineers crafted their own story that fits perfectly in THE TWILIGHT ZONE cannon. I think the same could be easily done with LOST. There's just so much to draw from. Okay. I'll stop now.

Oh, wait. I think Wisteria Lane would be a great addition to the Disney MGM Backlot Tour, but since it would be a replication of Universal's backlot, I'd imagine it would be verboten. Now I will stop.

• Minion

>>Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomie, Alias, etc. As you know, all of these properties belong to ABC/Disney...<<

These things belong to the global corporate entity known as The Walt Disney Company, but are not part of the "Walt Disney Brand" (those things defined by what was once Walt Disney Productions or additional family products marketed as "Disney") within that corporation. IE: ABC is not "Disney"though it is owned by TDC. Neither is ESPN, Touchstone, Hollywood, Miramax or Dimension - - by definition and design, these things do not constitute aspects of the Disney "brand." They exist to exploit other niches that are sometimes not at all complimentary to the Disney ideals.

Disneyland and Walt Disney World are the embodiments of the name/brand "Walt Disney" and should remain so, separate from those coprorate properties that do not reflect or compliment those very well defined ideals that define "Disney" for the common man.

Disney has to capitalize on the success of ABC somehow. With MGM not feeling the love right now as much as the other parks, more ABC content is a perfect fit for the theme of the Studios! With the rumors of Monsters, Inc. and Incredibles for the Studios, I thought it wasn't a great fit for the park's theme. I mean, they're both movies, but that's hardly unique to simply have rides based on movies.

One idea I had was to have a cafeteria restaurant with the Dharma Initiative-style food. It wouldn't be the same level of investment as a ride, and the theming from various locales on the island could be amazing. Dharma mini-cereal boxes, Dharma stickers on the fruit and wrapped sandwiches, Dharma milk and juice containers, etc. I know it doesn't sound appealing to people who don't watch the show, but then again, neither would set pieces from a show someone doesn't watch; it'd be a nod to fans and at least a place to eat for everyone else. You could have a beautiful jungle theme side for normal people and then a side themed to specific places from the show for the fans.

The problem I have with a ride is only that the show tries to shock viewers and is already very different in each of its two seasons. So if Disney spent millions making a ride centered around the second season, it could already be dated by the time it opens.

Here's a picture of the food from the show.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossedragon
    I rode the Desperate House Wife ride, and all I got was the clap.
    Funniest post ever! LOL

"This guy!"

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    >>Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomie, Alias, etc. As you know, all of these properties belong to ABC/Disney...<<

These things belong to the global corporate entity known as The Walt Disney Company, but are not part of the "Walt Disney Brand" (those things defined by what was once Walt Disney Productions or additional family products marketed as "Disney") within that corporation. IE: ABC is not "Disney"though it is owned by TDC. Neither is ESPN, Touchstone, Hollywood, Miramax or Dimension - - by definition and design, these things do not constitute aspects of the Disney "brand." They exist to exploit other niches that are sometimes not at all complimentary to the Disney ideals.

Disneyland and Walt Disney World are the embodiments of the name/brand "Walt Disney" and should remain so, separate from those coprorate properties that do not reflect or compliment those very well defined ideals that define "Disney" for the common man.
    Yes, but they've exploited elements of these properties before (still doing it - ESPN Zone, for example). Armageddon and Crimson Tide, for instance, both got exhibits at MGM, neither of which are particularly family-friendly. And what about Millionaire? And all the ABC billboards at DCA? Lost might make sense at DCA, which lends itself to a little older audience, anyway. (Well, audience might be a stretch - it implies that people are actually there, but you take my meaning).

• What have I done?

What if they made a Desperate Housewife restaurant and built it in DCA sort of ala' ABC Bistro? You could dine in each characters home?

"This guy!"

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones

There is a tasteful, appropriate way to add ABC content at Disney parks. It doesn't ruin the Boardwalk having an ESPN Club there, does it? I don't think anyone is proposing a Jungle Cruise replacement or Seattle Grace Hospital on Main Street, either. I don't think anything like what's been proposed is too far off from things that have already been done. MGM and possibly DCA (never been) could be good fits, IMO of course.

• Minion

ABC, Touchstone, Hollywood, Dimension, Henson and ESPN stuff might be appropriate for DCA and Disney/MGM as they are studio/entertainment-based.

But there is no place for these things within Disneyland and Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, which should be dedicated authentic Walt Disney (and Disney/Pixar) zones. I'm not even keen about Lucas inside Disneyland, but it's now history.

...and trendy ABC Family, Disney Channel, Radio Disney, Playhouse Disney, Little Einstein, et al should stay out of the Magic Kingdoms too. DCA and MGM only.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Should Disney Capatilize on it's more mature properties for new attractions?

Quote Originally Posted by zuulrules
    I have been saying since last season that LOST would be a perfect addition to the Disney MGM Studios in Florida.
    First, welcome to MC!! Great first post!!!

I think if any of these shows could be made into an attraction it would be LOST at MGM and/or HPB in DCA. Despite my complete obsession with ALIAS, I think that ship has sailed. (Although they could have done Sydney Bristow's Butt-kicking Blasters instead of Buzz )

I really think it could be a cool experience-type ride like Alien Encounter was. Yes, that ride freaked the hell out of me, but a LOST 4D attraction wouldn't have to be as terrifying & could be very cool and creepy. If Indy and Star Wars can be made into attractions, LOST could be done as well.
    <o>

• Banned User

We are WAY overdue for an attraction like Indy.

• Animatronic

If Disney is going to do anything based on a TV show, it should pick one which has stood the test of time.. like Manimal!

• Neep meep beep

Thanks, whoever posted the photo of FOOD from Lost!

I think that Lost could be a ride, or a 3d movie, or...? It seems to have lasting appeal.

Consider this:

You board airplane seats, and an Animatronic Sawyer gives you a catchy nickname.

The "others" come and take one or two people in your party away, never to return.

You get locked in a hatch where you have to listen to music from the late 1960s, and press numbers every so often.

You then get released into the jungle, where you have to scream "Walt!" and make sure the chubby guy isn't hoarding all the food.

Finally, you see a tent with a stash of guns and medicine, and when you enter, it turns into the exit.

How's that for an experience?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast