Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Presslers Legacy....sigh

I was at the park tonight and I started thinking about Paul Pressler's legacy at Disneyland. It was when I was on Tower of Terror, one of my favs at DCA yet still a lower cost duplicate of the original. From what I can gather Pressler left us with these "wonderful" attractions:

Light Magic
    New Tomorrowland:
    Innoventions
    Rocket Rods
    Honey I shrunk the Audience
    The Orbitron
    Disney's California Adventure
    Pooh
    Tower of Terror

Pretty underwhelming....even Eisner has a better legacy then that with Star Tours and Captain EO alone and Eisner LIKED this guy (Eisner USED to be pretty cool, but became what we thought he would eventually)...whats wrong with this picture?

When you add up the utter misses that Pressler approved, and the low rent duplicates that he brought to the park and how little he actually did in terms of attractions, it isnt hard to see why hes so unliked (not that I need to tell YOU why we dont lie him )

If I missed anything let me know, I want to paint a complete picture

• Banned User

plus, if you take out all the attractions that are not in the parks anymore, which technically shouldn't be counted in the legacy anyway, his actual legacy is very pathetic.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Then, add the attractions he removed, and you get one bad legacy.
    -Monorail Man

• Banned User

Pressler has a Legacy at Disney??? :confused:

• My Own Oasis

Who was Pressler's predecessor? I forget his name but I know he was responsible for the addition of Mickey's Toon Town, Fantasmic and the Indiana Jones Adventure. All of which still pull the crowds into Disneyland. I'd say the Tower of Terror would be the only thing people would look at and say "I cant wait to go to Disneyland to ride the Tower of Terror!" as opposed to " I cant wait to go to Disneyland and see Innoventions!" you just never hear that. ToT is the only one and in essence it isn't new and was not even considered as being installed until the previous regime saw how much of a failure DCA was.

I cannot fathom why Eisner appointed Pressler. I can make the educated guess though from what I know that Eisner wasn't giving the parks very much attention anymore these past 10 years. After the acquisition of Capital Cities/ABC, I believe Eisner focused all his attention and effort on making that profitable and a success, instead of keeping up with what was going on in the other areas of the company. This is only my opinion but even the movies have suffered a similar "drought". Who can honestly say the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Treasure Planet and The Emperor's New Groove are classic and memorable Disney films? This particular division of the company has even recently been compelled to making new sequels to the classics (i.e. Peter Pan II, The Jungle Book II etc...) The Disney Cruise Line has been a large success thus far though, and I believe it was due to the right person being in charge during its initial launch.

If you want proof as to how much Michael Eisner has "lost touch" with the rest of the Disney Company, you can go back to Al's column about how Eisner made a fool of himself when he went on the Jungle Cruise and proclamated how much the shooting of the hippos was his favorite part of the ride only to be told by someone that it had been removed a considerable amount of years earlier.

People say that Iger is Eisner's stooge but I'll give him a chance before I pass judgement. I suppose you'll be able to scale how he leads the company in the same manner. If Iger does visit the parks often, that should be a good sign. I mean I think alot of people could tell what kind of person Ouimet would be when he first came here by the way he walked the parks daily talking to guests and CM's and even staying and living for awhile on the resort property itself!

• Minion

Ron Dominguez

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Quote Originally Posted by adoborocks
    I cannot fathom why Eisner appointed Pressler. I can make the educated guess though from what I know that Eisner wasn't giving the parks very much attention anymore these past 10 years. After the acquisition of Capital Cities/ABC, I believe Eisner focused all his attention and effort on making that profitable and a success, instead of keeping up with what was going on in the other areas of the company. This is only my opinion but even the movies have suffered a similar "drought".
    It's very simple, from a "Scrooge" standpoint in why Eisner appointed Pressler. He was so successful in the Disney Stores, where from what I've heard retail is Pressler's element, that Eisner wanted him to make the park more profitable (the more times someone rides a ride, the less profitable that ride becomes).

(Disclaimer: Now here is where my logical thinking comes in, I don't know how true this is but it seems probable.) For Paul, this meant to increase retail, again this is where he excels. In doing so he spent more attention to the shops and the amount of merchandise, than he did to the main draw of the park...the rides. So as a compromise he came up with the plan to let the rides send you to a store basically. Thereby justifying to himself, why the rides were there.

Again, the first paragraph is true. The second is just my own logical reasoning as to why.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

I'm not hearing the holiday layovers

and if I'm not mistaken that started with Cythia?

who knows

I'm just glad we're getting more rides NOW and things are finaly looking good

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    It's very simple, from a "Scrooge" standpoint in why Eisner appointed Pressler. He was so successful in the Disney Stores, where from what I've heard retail is Pressler's element, that Eisner wanted him to make the park more profitable (the more times someone rides a ride, the less profitable that ride becomes).

(Disclaimer: Now here is where my logical thinking comes in, I don't know how true this is but it seems probable.) For Paul, this meant to increase retail, again this is where he excels. In doing so he spent more attention to the shops and the amount of merchandise, than he did to the main draw of the park...the rides. So as a compromise he came up with the plan to let the rides send you to a store basically. Thereby justifying to himself, why the rides were there.

Again, the first paragraph is true. The second is just my own logical reasoning as to why.
    I think he was trying to prove his, "Monkeys can manage the Parks," theory.

• The one, the only...

The REAL Pressler contribution

The real impact Pressler had was to try to turn Disneyland into a shopping mall. I think that there are too many stores selling the exact same items in the park. He got rid of stores that were fun to go in but did not sell a whole lot. I stil can remember as a child loving to see the candle shop on Main Street or the perfume store in New Orleans Square. Walt saw shopping as entertainment and not just revenue making winfalls.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

One thing I feel that changed with the Pressler years (beyond all the stupid management decisions, ill-planned cuts in maintenance, and alienation of long-serving staff) was that the uniqueness of the shops all disappeared. Instead of all the one-of-a-kind shops, every store became a near carbon copy of every other store, with minor changes. One trip through the emporium, and you'd see essentially everything that was for sale everywhere else.

In the end, though, Pressler, Harris, and their teams of minions basically had total contempt for the paying customers--and it showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    One thing I feel that changed with the Pressler years (beyond all the stupid management decisions, ill-planned cuts in maintenance, and alienation of long-serving staff) was that the uniqueness of the shops all disappeared. Instead of all the one-of-a-kind shops, every store became a near carbon copy of every other store, with minor changes. One trip through the emporium, and you'd see essentially everything that was for sale everywhere else..
    Sad but true. The situation is even worse in WDW. At least DL's Main St. has a few specialty shops left.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    In the end, though, Pressler, Harris, and their teams of minions basically had total contempt for the paying customers--and it showed.
    I suspect that this is the tao of lower tier retailing.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime

Your logic is correct.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I'm not hearing the holiday layovers

and if I'm not mistaken that started with Cythia?
    Oh Crap, you're right...Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday were during his regime too. And both of those are exteremely successful and well done...but then again, they arent new attractions they are old attractions spiffed up, and HMH can do what Pooh never could, sell merchandise based on its theme.

Dont get me wrong, HMH is one of my favorite things in the park...but in the Pressler mode of thinking, Jack is very popular and makes mucho molah, ideal for merchandising possiblities.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    But don't forget "Why" we got the holiday overlays. 1) they were cheaper than building new rides. 2) It allowed the parks to make a major marketing push to sell more sesonal tickets to Disneyland. This also allowed for multiple merchandise events.

I believe that the Holiday Overlays came out of the Entertainment Department budgets not out of Attractions.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast