Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Studio Ghibli charecters in the parks?

How comes Disney doesnt have walk around charecters from Studio Ghibli films (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Friend Totoro) at the parks? Is it a rights issue? I know Disney is the one who brought and translated the movies for american audiances and from what I know they have proved to be extremly popular (like japenese pixar). In fact John Lasseter is good friends with those guys.

I'd love to see a Spirited Away ride and a Totoro walk around charecter.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Re: Studio Ghibli charecters in the parks?

I don't thing many people would recognize these characters....I know I wouldn't.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Huh?

Disney only has that North American distribution rights -- no other rights. Although it would be nice at the Japan pavillion at Epcot, I doubt it'll happen.

In the meantime, if you want to see lifesize Totoro, go to the Ghibli museum -- a place where Miyazaki Hayao once again proves he's the Japanese Walt Disney.
    -Tim

• Minion

My daughters would absolutely flip if they saw Kiki!

• Shablagoo!

I'd like to see them. Doubt it would happen, but with Lasseter in charge you never know. Miyazaki and him are friends, so its not impossible, but I think it is unlikely.

• Minion FOREVER!

Yup, what everyone is saying... Fundamentally, Disney doesn't have the
    theme park rights to these characters. Just the distribution rights.

Additionally, I'm not sure what kind of recognizability there would be.

I completely agree that a Sprited Away dark ride in the Japan pavilion
    would be awesome!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

It also the same reason why that even though they have right to KH, they don't have them wandering around. Thye also don't seem to belong there. Although a few years back during an anime convention Donald and Goofy were in their KH outfits.

• back in Austin

I've always thought it was unusual that Disney should distribute the Studio Ghibli films. I like them a LOT, and feel they're magical, but somehow they're not Disney at all. Don't know where I get that from....

• back in Austin

I'm trying to imagine what on earth a Spirited Away ride would look/be like. It's such a trippy film!

• back in Austin

I think part of the reason I think the movies are not characteristically Disney is because the storytelling style is so un-Western. The pieces are very atmospheric and don't have our typically good-guy bad-guy structure.

• Banned User

Pixar doesnt feel Disney either yet people have no problem with them in the parks. Some people say Star Wars doesnt "feel Disney" but everyone (including myself) loves Star Wars at Disney. Besides the Studio Ghibli dvd's sell really well from what I understand.

• Sock Puppet

And let's not forget that Power Rangers aren't Disney, but they are scattered all over Florida and parts of of our Resort. And I personally can't wait to see the KH series make an impact in the parks (it will happen one day) Good ideas Ghostbuster626, you are really thinking outside the box.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Partly because nobody aside from Asian tourists and art-house film types would recognize them?

I had a long discussion about the appeal of Kingdom Hearts, btw, and while I do still think the characters are a tad too battle-happy to remain consistant with their personalities, I can accept the game as an alternate universe of Disney and not official cannon. Keep it *OUT* of the parks, please. The last thing I need to see is Rubberhead Goofy bashing a face character in a cloak.

• Banned User

I dont think the average guest cares if they are familar with the name of an attraction or not...Pirates of the caribean (pre-2003), Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Etc. arent based on any familar charecter, movie, or franchise and everyone loves them. 90% of the guests visiting Disneyland havent seen Mr.Toad but will probably go on the ride anyway.

So if you have a cool ride with a name like "Spirited Away" or "Moving Castle"..even if people have never heard those names before they will still go on the ride anyway if its good.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Partly because nobody aside from Asian tourists and art-house film types would recognize them?

I had a long discussion about the appeal of Kingdom Hearts, btw, and while I do still think the characters are a tad too battle-happy to remain consistant with their personalities, I can accept the game as an alternate universe of Disney and not official cannon. Keep it *OUT* of the parks, please.
    True but it doesn't mean that those characters can't be used at Tokoyo Disney or World Showcase at Epcot.

Now about your KH comment, I find KH to be the best Disney story told, EVER. And again as above, while it might not work on our shore as an attraction, our friends to the east would probably appreciate a KH attraction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast