Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Cool Pacemaker/ Defrilbulator Problems at Disneyland/ DCA

Hello from a brand new Micechat member, but long time reader.

(Please understand--- I am NOT asking medical oponions, just for your knowledge on the situations. Thanks.)

I have a pacemaker/defillbrulator implanted. I am not supposed to go near powerful magnets or things that emit electrical fields like High Power Tension Lines.

Has anyone ever heard of rides or locations in DL or DCA that cause Pacemaker disruption or perhaps just places that you know have lots of magnets.

I also note that most of the rides have the disclaimer about heart conditions and I think I will not go on Califormia Screaming or Space Mountain but really want to do Tower Of Terror... why do they have these signs.. is a medically proven fact or just covering the old-mouse-tail.

Lastly, as for the Tower of Terror... I believe they use magnets,, does anyone know?

• Animatronic

Re: Pacemaker/ Defrilbulator Problems at Disneyland/ DCA

Tower of Terror never fails to get one's heart beating fast. I would take it's heart warnings seriously. Partly because of the novelty and partly because of the 13 story faster than gravity drop, I would rate it as putting slightly more stress on the heart than California Screaming. As for magnets, I know California Screaming uses a magnetic launch. I am unsure as to whether Tower of Terror uses any magnets for braking or anything.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Tower of Terror never fails to get one's heart beating fast. I would take it's heart warnings seriously. Partly because of the novelty and partly because of the 13 story faster than gravity drop, I would rate it as putting slightly more stress on the heart than California Screaming. As for magnets, I know California Screaming uses a magnetic launch. I am unsure as to whether Tower of Terror uses any magnets for braking or anything.
    My understanding is that ToT utilizes a super high powered electric motor elivator. The second most powerful in ever made... It is designed after those in use in South African diamond mines...
    Check out my other blog:

• Still wants to be a cat!

Make sure you get a hold of Disney Guest Services, just in case, don't want you to have any problems at the "Happiest Place on Earth"!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• I am a Pluto lover

I dont know about going on the rides but as for having a pacemaker, my aunt who has one goes with us every year. She has not had problems.
    She walks everywhere in the park with us.

She doesnt ride anything tho so I cant offer and opinion on that thought...
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• insufferable know-it-all

Be advised that there are some very serious power lines run across Disney property. They used to cut across the parking lot, but I believe they rerouted them around the edge of DCA. Still, any time you're in DCA, you're going to be fairly close to them. Especially the further back you go (double whammy when you walk near Screamin').

I don't know a lot about the sensitivity of pacemakers, so I would say your BEST bet is to call your doctor (or, if you're not in Southern California, perhaps have him contact a SoCal heart doctor) and ask him if, in his opinion, there are things or areas you need to avoid in DL. If the doctor has been to the park (and chances are fairly good he has), he can give you better advice than any of us.

Very interesting first post, by the way!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Thank you so much for all of your comments.

My condition is stable and high tension lines acround DCA should be fine. The most extream areas are directly below them so if they are *around* the back, I should be fine.

I had spoken with my doctor weeks ago and she (yes a she --- I thought it was funny how others assumed she was a he!! <---- hey look, my first offtopic tangent!) told me to avoid sudden drops.... I guess Tower of Terror will have to replaced by those little ladybug thingies.

I will also call the Disney Guest Services. Do they have a 1-800 line? I call from Vacnouver, Canada.

Thank you so much for all of your comments.

My condition is stable and high tension lines acround DCA should be fine. The most extream areas are directly below them so if they are *around* the back, I should be fine.

I had spoken with my doctor weeks ago and she (yes a she --- I thought it was funny how others assumed she was a he!! <---- hey look, my first offtopic tangent!) told me to avoid sudden drops.... I guess Tower of Terror will have to replaced by those little ladybug thingies.

I will also call the Disney Guest Services. Do they have a 1-800 line? I call from Vancouver, Canada.

• Banned User

welcome Beatle Johnny!!! do not know anythig but wanted to say hi and welcome !

Thank you. I am a high school Theatre teacher and every year do a large (pretty cool actually) Haunted House. I so badly wanted to go on it but will do some more research.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    I will also call the Disney Guest Services. Do they have a 1-800 line? I call from Vancouver, Canada.
    I'm not aware of an 800 number, but here is a link to the online question form (and the local numbers): https://secure.disney.go.com/disneyl...=ContactUsPage

In my experience, you can get excellently detailed answers from this online form!

Enjoy your trip to the park, and welcome to MiceChat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I wouldn't worry about magnetic fields at DL/DCA.

Tower of Terror is set up like a conventional elevator - but one with a Seriously Huge Motor System, and a downhaul rope so the car can be pulled down faster than gravity. The motor is permanently mounted in the equipment house on the roof, so the magnetic fields will not be close to the cab and passengers.

California Screamin' is powered by Linear Induction Motors, but the magnetic fields are designed to be concentrated through the reaction plate slots and not go too far past, or the efficiency would drop off rapidly.

Some other coaster type rides have small Linear Induction Motors for giving the cars a small boost out of the braking areas and out of the station, but they are not the powerful Launch type that would cause a medical concern. Big Thunder for sure, I think Space Mountain.

Other than those, I can't think of any that expose you to any intense magnetic or electrical fields, but if you call or write Disney theyy can have the Engineerinhg Department go through and make a complete list.

Now there are some rides that give you a pretty intense shaking and tossing like TOT, but that's a physical issue rather than electrical.

And Disney has AED's hidden all over, and RN's and Paramedics on call in the park. AFD's station with a Paramedic Ambulance is a block away.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• враг народа

Blog Entries

My dad has a nuerological stimulator implanted in his butt. It has been explained to me as being essentially the same as a pacemaker. We went to Disneyland last summer twice and he had no problems with anything there. There are no metal detectors at the security checkpoints, but they may have the small hand held ones if they feel something is amiss. He rode all of the big E-Tickets without any problems being caused to the stimulator. So I don't think electrical interference will be a problem.

• The Dark Ride

One tip about Tower of Terror: verify with a cast member, but it is my impression that you can go through the attraction all the way up to the point where they assign you the place to stand for your seat and just tell them you've changed your mind, and you can exit. You will see the entire lobby/queue (full of Twilight Zone props), the entire Library pre-show, and the spooky sub-basement queue. In effect, all you'll miss are two quick show effect stops during the ride and the actual drop sequence. There are videos of these sequences out there on the net if you're diligent enough with Google.

In short: don't miss anything! Visit the Hollywood Tower Hotel, just steer clear of that nasty elevator, I hear it's a bit odd.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

There are no Intamin Drop towers in DCA or DL so you're clear there. Those have warnings. But if you should avoid drops, stay off ToT and Maliboomer...though one uses compressed air and the other is run by motor (up and down) like a normal elevator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast