Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Larger People Versus Support Restraints

Hello.

I am taking my family next week.. ok.. I lie..... May 31st.

I am 6'5 and about 350 pounds. Is everything still safe for me?

I am very sorry if that seems like a simple question but I am really scared.

Funny enough, it all starts with the flight from Vancouver to LA when I am squeezed into the seat so I am very conscious about space and seats around me.

Two rides have me curious. The "Orange" ride with the swings at DCA and California Screaming.

I would appreaciate any opinion and suggestion.

Thanks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: Larger People Versus Support Restraints

The Cast Members in the parks will be helpful here. I doubt they'd let you onto a ride that could jeopardize your safety. Let me offer my opinion, though. Pretty much every ride in Disneyland and DCA, while sometimes thrilling, is totally safe.

Regarding the two you mentioned:

Orange Stinger
    ... I, personally, don't like this ride and have never ridden it. Not because of safety fears, but because of a fear of heights. (I've ridden similar rides at cheap, tacky carnivals, though.) I doubt you'll have any issues.

California Screamin'
    : A really fun roller coaster! Interestingly, all the G-forces seem to work to force you into your seat rather than out of it. I'd almost be willing to bet that you could ride this coaster with NO restraints and still never be in any actual danger of flying out... even in the loop.

Enjoy your visit to Disneyland! Please leave "scared" at home. Uncle Walt and his wonderful Cast Members don't want you to be afraid. They want you to have fun!

(Disclaimer: I am no expert on roller coasters or physics so if you wind up in Buena Park, don't sue me!)

"Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Thanks Tom! Excellent responce!

• Vehicle rotating backward

I know that chain bucket rides have been around forever, and that if big people were causing them to break it would be all over the news, but the way that the Orange Stinger operates would make me wary. I don't just mean for your size, I mean for mine or almost anyone's. The design seems inherently risky to me.

However, Screamin shouldn't be a problem as far as size problems go.

• The Dark Ride

The Orange ride has a weight limit. Something really restrictive like 175 if memory serves. I'm 6'1" and 300, I feel your pain.

California Screamin is like any other coaster with overhead restraints: be prepared to scrunch down in your seat to get them locked, and you may have issues even then depending on how you're built. I have that problem with -all- coasters with overhead restraints (the type you pull down around your head and against your shoulders/chest) so this isn't a unique issue. They almost always really cram me in there, which makes sense as they have to fit a certain median size of people for safety. I have big shoulders and virtually no neck, so those restraints are hard on me at any weight (I've been as low as 275 as an adult and as high as 310, and it never matters with those restraints).

I have not had an issue on any other ride. However, you should expect to go solo on many, many rides. By solo I mean, if two people normally fit in a seat, you'll want to go it alone. ALL dark rides except for Buzz Lightyear and Haunted Mansion (Pirates and Small World are boats, and you'll just load as the loader tells you) require this for me, except for Peter Pan, which is built just a little wider and myself and my wife (also not a tiny person) can fit well, if a little cozy.

Your mountain range isn't a problem. You'll want to have your own seat on Matterhorn, and you should be a little cramped in the others but you're used to that being our size.

As far as new stuff, if you've visited in the past, Monsters Inc you will probably want your own seat (I do, so does my wife), Tower of Terror will be a snug fit width-wise, but the seat belts seemed to be plenty long and no trouble. Buzz, as I said, accomodates myself and my wife no trouble, as we blast our way out. The new Space Mountain cars are tighter than the old ones, I think, but that could be faulty memory as it's been awhile since I rode in the old ones. Other than those, nothing has changed dramatically in quite some time.

Have fun!
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• Banned User

Wink Re: Larger People Versus Support Restraints

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    (Disclaimer: I am no expert on roller coasters or physics so if you wind up in Buena Park, don't sue me!)
    I remember a classic Imagineer That.. well somewhat classic with Tom morrow 2.0... and they said the reason you dont fall out is because of inertia... lol your forced into the seat and you continue with the car... I wish i had it on tape to correct myself..
    And to think i got an A in phsyics in high school..)

allearsnet.com has a section on "pooh sized" people for WDW. I know Deb is working on including more DL info on the site, so hopefully it'll include people of size in Walt's Park too.

You can start here: http://allearsnet.com/tp/ridsiz.htm There are also trip reports from larger folks too on the site.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dark
    The Orange ride has a weight limit. Something really restrictive like 175 if memory serves.
    Wow, a 175 weight limit? Really? I've never been too "big" for a Disneyland ride.....I guess I better start buying SlimFast. ls it too late to join the Lose 50 for the 50th? I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs, never thought of myself as overweight. Bummer.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    Hello.

I am taking my family next week.. ok.. I lie..... May 31st.

I am 6'5 and about 350 pounds. Is everything still safe for me?

I am very sorry if that seems like a simple question but I am really scared.

Funny enough, it all starts with the flight from Vancouver to LA when I am squeezed into the seat so I am very conscious about space and seats around me.

Two rides have me curious. The "Orange" ride with the swings at DCA and California Screaming.

I would appreaciate any opinion and suggestion.

Thanks.
    A good buddy of mine is 5'11" and well over 400lbs. He can ride everything without problems except: Orange Stinger, Astro Orbiter, Dumbo.

Everything else he enjoys with relish! You're going to be just fine (well, as long as you don't mind getting your knees whacked up a little).

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• insufferable know-it-all

Heck, even I can't go on the Orange Stinger. Whose idea was it to build an attraction with a weight limit 5 lbs below what the FAA considers to be the "average adult"?

Oh yeah, Paul Pressler and Michael Eisner.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    I remember a classic Imagineer That.. well somewhat classic with Tom morrow 2.0... and they said the reason you dont fall out is because of inertia... lol your forced into the seat and you continue with the car... I wish i had it on tape to correct myself..
    And to think i got an A in phsyics in high school..)

Just like when they said if you fill a bucket with water in spin it upside down very fast, not much of the water will fall out because of inertia.

Beatle, you also have to remember that most of Disneys rides are gentle rides.

By the way doesn't Disney have a website that tells the height and weight requirement for their rides?

Oh oh ---- I didn't even think of the astro-orbiter... is there a weight limit on that too? I mean at worst, I am 360... with my little girl togather, we would be 390.....

Yikes

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wow. I am suprised that Orange Stinger is that low considering Wave Swingers seem to be such a huge fad lately.

Typically it's rollercoasters that limit as far as size...I know Intamin coasters do. But as far as I know Tokyo's Raging Spirits and Animal Kingdom's Everest are the only Disney coasters you must be "under a certain" size for.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Yes, you can't ride Orbiter/Dumbo together because it won't get off the ground. Appearantly pixie dust and magic feathers can only get you so far.

You *MAY* be able to ride in a car of your own but no gaurantees. These types of rides are pretty much the only ones in Disneyland where weight is an issue because of the hydraulics involved in operation.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm 240 and have ridden Orange Stinger PLENTY of times.

I think the limit is closer to 250.

As for Screamin', you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast