Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Question Barber Pole at Disneyland?

I was watching 'Walt Disney Treasures" the one titled Disneyland USA. I believe it was the Dapper Dans singing. They were singing and doing a cute bit with their hats. My question, is where were they standing? There was a barber pole to their left. Which would be to your right as you watch them sing. Since there is no Barber Shop at Disneyland, I was wondering if this Barber Pole is still there? I believe this video came from either the Disneyland After Dark, or the 10th Anniversary special. Would appreciate the info on the barber pole, if anyone might know. Thanks
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

That was from "Disneyland After Dark", which was filmed in 1961.

I'm going to have to run home and watch that to see if I can figure out where they were. I had assumed it was about halfway up on the east side of the street, based upon the short little visual trip they made to get where the Dapper Dans were standing.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Minion

I haven't seen the film but tend to believe it might have been shot in front of the barber shop backstage. It was still in operation for managers and CMs in the late '80s. I was working with the DL Manager of Communications and he had to stop for a trim before we went into the park.

There is a picture here of that particular part of the show, including the barber pole. (scroll down a bit; the picture I'm referring to can be brought up by picking the correct thumbnail)

It's on Main Street. There was a huge crowd of guests standing and watching them perform.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Minion

Isnt the barber shop by the lockers just off of main street? :confused:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    There is a picture here of that particular part of the show, including the barber pole. (scroll down a bit; the picture I'm referring to can be brought up by picking the correct thumbnail)

It's on Main Street. There was a huge crowd of guests standing and watching them perform.
    If you look through those pictures and read what it says then you can see that it is by the porch on Main St. -the pole isn't there anymore. (I wonder if they put it there just for the filming)

• Minion

That definitely looks like a prop to me in the photo. There never was a barber pole on Main Street.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    I thought that maybe the Barber Pole might have just been a prop for the show, since there is not an actual Barber shop in Disneyland Park. I was quite curious about it, however, after I watched the entire DVD. That DVD had film from the 60's, so I also thought that maybe a Barber Pole might have once actually been at the park, but is not there anymore. Since this is a forum, filled with people very knowledgeable about Disneyland, I knew it was the right place to pose the question. Thanks for the speedy reply.
    Pop Century Resort

Quote Originally Posted by VWSpawn
    Isnt the barber shop by the lockers just off of main street? :confused:
    Only at WDW unfortunately.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

I was going to say, there used to be a barbershop on Main Street at both DL and WDW, where you could get a haircut and even an old fashion shave complete with steaming towel, brush and powder, and a straight edge razor. Main Street used to be a little more like a main street and less like a mall.

Cris

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I remember that. I have an old picture of my dad getting a haircut there once. I even saw it recently on an old Disneyland film. I remember you could also watch people blow glass and build watches. Wasn't there a candle maker too?
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    I want to thank everyone who has answered this question. The link to Disneyland After Dark states that the scene was shot on the Main Street Porch on Main Street U.S.A. I will have to look for this porch, when I am in Disneyland in July. Thanks again.
    Pop Century Resort

• Banned User

It's a prop. When the Dapper Dans set up it's one of the first things they put up. I've even ask about it. They said that it adds to the show.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    I was going to say, there used to be a barbershop on Main Street at both DL and WDW, where you could get a haircut and even an old fashion shave complete with steaming towel, brush and powder, and a straight edge razor. Main Street used to be a little more like a main street and less like a mall.

Cris
    I haven't been to WDW in ages, but I got my first mustasche cup there...I wonder if "Presslerization" got rid of that unique item in order to bring back more homogenous merchandizing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    You mean this one?

If so, then that's the porch, across from the candy store.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast