Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• The Uber Film Geek

It also took so long because they had to:

1) Get the equipment for dismantling the ride inside the building.
    2) Put such equipment together
    3) Dismantle the track from inside the building.
    4) Remove the pieces
    5) Bring in the new pieces
    6) Assemble the new track pieces
    7) Dismantle the equipment
    8) Remove the equipment

The extra long time is due to being confined within a closed building. A lot harder to do than when you have the endless height of open sky to work with.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• #1 Space Mountain Fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Nothing new in that story. We've been talking about that here for weeks.
    Agreed! It's really old information!

• Banned User

The track is not identical to the old one. There have been a few adjustments, from what I understand the new track sits higher than the old one so your extremly close to the ceiling now and of course the reentry tunnel is longer. Nothing major but a few very slight changes have been made.

• Minion

I only hope the slight differences don't include eliminating the nice floater air on the upswings, and the wild g's on the turns. I just have a bad feeling this being in DL, they may have decided to slightly modify the banking and upswings for a more smoother forceless family friendlier version.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Even though it's been a real downer to go to Disneyland for over two years and not ride SM, I'm glad they're taking time to fix it.

I don't know how many of you know, but the old wooden track was dangerous. The bolts got rusty and would fall out (I'm sure the night crew was very diligent but still). I'm not sure what year it was, but because of faulty bolts, a SM vehicle flew off of the track. I saw it on the news. I was scared out of my mind because a friend of mine had gone to the park that day 0_0

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Nothing new in that story. We've been talking about that here for weeks.
    Really? Until now I was under the impression that there was going to be a launch...maybe thats my own uninformedness, though

Really though, I was thinking about it last night...a launch would be kinda lame...cause normally you launch into a dive, right? And at SM the first lift evens out at the top then.....goes into another lift...so the launch would launch you into a straight and into......another lift? Ooooo, exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Control
    Agreed! It's really old information!
    But it's nice to see it all in one place, without a bunch of hooey and completely unsubstantiated old rumors floating around at the same time It was a nice concise writeup of what is really happening.

• (maybe they're right!)

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I don't know how many of you know, but the old wooden track was dangerous. The bolts got rusty and would fall out (I'm sure the night crew was very diligent but still). I'm not sure what year it was, but because of faulty bolts, a SM vehicle flew off of the track.

There were GREAT pictures of that in the Enquirer, as I recall...

• Banned User

haha

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I too was one of the last ones to ride Space Mountain before it went down for referb. I jumped into line just as Disneyland closed that night. I ended up being the last person in line in the que. I didn't know it was going to close suddently the next morning. It did seem to be an unusally rough ride that night. Very jaring and since the soundtrack didn't work I could hear some unusal sounds. Kind of reminded me of the sounds you hear on carnival rollercoasters like it was going to shake apart.

Who would have known that my life was actually in danger from broken supports.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

Wooden track? I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Even though it's been a real downer to go to Disneyland for over two years and not ride SM, I'm glad they're taking time to fix it.

I don't know how many of you know, but the old wooden track was dangerous.

Uh, the track was never made of wood. It was always and has always been a metal coaster.
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

Quote Originally Posted by SomeSayImGoofy
    There were GREAT pictures of that in the Enquirer, as I recall...

I'ts all about delivery.

tilt
    Visit my Lego Amusement Rides Website: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...cgi?m=Bolliger

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDSTOM
    Uh, the track was never made of wood. It was always and has always been a metal coaster.
    You are wrong here are the pictures: http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visi...nd/tom/sm.html
    The track itself was made out of steel but the supports were always wood and that is why it vibrates like it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    You are wrong here are the pictures: http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visi...nd/tom/sm.html
    The track itself was made out of steel but the supports were always wood and that is why it vibrates like it does.

Sorry to disappoint you but there wasn't a piece of wood anywhere near the track at Space Mountain. The entire structure was steel, supports and all.

Trust me, I ran up and down those lifts way too many times.

And since we're on the subject, the addition of the sound system in no way weakened the track (as the rumour goes).

The Rockets before the sound system was added weighed 2500-2600 lbs empty, the sound system would have added maybe 150-200 lbs to the rockets, not enough to cause major structural damage.

Combine that with the fact that no rocket could be launched loaded that weighs more than 5000 lbs. Cast members are supposed to pull a "fat rocket" when it gets that heavy and reload the guests (splitting them up).

Basically, no rocket ever ran that was any heavier than normal after the sound system was added so it did not contribute to the breakdown of the structural integrity.

Knowing how many times we had to shut down and have welders out to fix track cracks is the more likely scenario. If I remember correctly, Zone 12 was a particularly crack prone section of track. We'd be out there with spray bottles full of soapy water looking for the leak.

After so many welds over the years, it was just time to replace the whole mess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12