Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

The next "big" thing in DL marketing

pun intended.

Inspired by a side comment in the thread on ride restraints and larger guests, I decided to start a separate thread on merchandise.

As one person pointed out, Disney merchandise sizing stops at a size 2x. As anyone who's been to the park recently can say, the average guest doesn't. Now, don't come down on me, I'm not making a judgement call here - heck, I'm in the 1-2 range myself. It's amazing to me that Disney, unlike other retailers, hasn't caught on to this trend and found a way to profit from it. Retailers like Hot Topic (with their Torrid chain) are making a killing on cool, hip, plus size clothes.

If they set up one merchandise location in the park as a plus-size shop, imagine the response! One place where people could go and know that it'll be in their size... I know *I'd* be checking it frequently. For example, if they would sell those adorable "baby-doll" t-shirts, but not cut to be skin tight, I know us large girls are always looking at the shape and dimensions of those shirts, loving them, only to discover that a so-called XL is cut to a normal medium. Also, of course, some of the basics, but to be honest "basics" is all plus-sizes EVER get to choose from, so how about plus size specialty items!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    pun intended.

Inspired by a side comment in the thread on ride restraints and larger guests, I decided to start a separate thread on merchandise.

As one person pointed out, Disney merchandise sizing stops at a size 2x. As anyone who's been to the park recently can say, the average guest doesn't. Now, don't come down on me, I'm not making a judgement call here - heck, I'm in the 1-2 range myself. It's amazing to me that Disney, unlike other retailers, hasn't caught on to this trend and found a way to profit from it. Retailers like Hot Topic (with their Torrid chain) are making a killing on cool, hip, plus size clothes.

If they set up one merchandise location in the park as a plus-size shop, imagine the response! One place where people could go and know that it'll be in their size... I know *I'd* be checking it frequently. For example, if they would sell those adorable "baby-doll" t-shirts, but not cut to be skin tight, I know us large girls are always looking at the shape and dimensions of those shirts, loving them, only to discover that a so-called XL is cut to a normal medium. Also, of course, some of the basics, but to be honest "basics" is all plus-sizes EVER get to choose from, so how about plus size specialty items!
    I agree...I'm pretty surprised Disney doesn't offer larger sizes...I've never known them to purposely limit their profits, but this is one area where they could be making a lot more money.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Minion

And use a lot more fabric! Does anyone in here think supersized retail clothing should cost a little more?

• Minion

Larger sizes dont just go with Bigger Guests. I'm 6'6 and need a 3XL just to get the length right. It would be nice if they offered more stuff in larger sizes, I love the bowling shirts they have.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Do you think people would be offended by a plus size shop in the park? I am not plus sized, so I feel I cannot offer an opinion about it, but I do agree that it is a demographic that is being ignored. I have trouble finding smalls in the park as well, but my husband usually requires a XXL and he has problems finding clothes sometimes. It is an interesting idea, I just wonder how it would be received....
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

desertdweller: we do pay more for larger sizes.

Note that I'm not just suggesting they make the larger sizes, but also that successful marketing of these sizes includes having a specialized location where people who wear large sizes can be assured that they can find stuff in their size - very frustrating when everything's mixed together and you have to sift through 50 or so things that you like but which don't come in your size until you find the one thing, whether you like it or not, that IS.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    desertdweller: we do pay more for larger sizes.

Note that I'm not just suggesting they make the larger sizes, but also that successful marketing of these sizes includes having a specialized location where people who wear large sizes can be assured that they can find stuff in their size - very frustrating when everything's mixed together and you have to sift through 50 or so things that you like but which don't come in your size until you find the one thing, whether you like it or not, that IS.
    I could certainly see them offering a shop like this in Downtown Disney...maybe in Phase II?
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• șoș Tom șoș

Perhaps just liscensing the Disney name, product or characters to companies like Big and Tall, Lane Bryant and Torrid.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Yes, larger sizes do cost more at certain stores, usually around $2-10 more I have found. I think rather then having a plus sized shop, maybe just plus sized sections in some of the shops, maybe the "Plus sized Prince and Princess" section.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

Well, SOMEWHERE that plus sized people could know that the merch within will be their size.

Interesting side note: looks like they ARE licensing stuff to Torrid. But that still doesn't solve the problem of making money from people IN the parks, anymore than selling Disney stuff at Wal-Mart does.

Got to agree with everyone here. My husband is 6'6", 2XL and wears size 14 shoes. When we first got married, I had a devil of a time finding clothes and shoes in his size - usually had to go to Big & Tall stores which were significantly more. Now, I can at least get him shirts almost any where - including COSTCO. In fact, COSTCO has one of the better selection of larger sizes. It would only make sense to have a plus size store - or at least a section in the Emporium or World of Disney. And what Morrigoon is so true - the "women's" shirts are not sized for real women. Believe me, if you are any larger than an A cup - forget about it!! Come on guys - some of us have curves... and lots of them!
    EM EYE SEE KAY EE WHY EM OH YOU ES EE

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by sierranevada
    Got to agree with everyone here. My husband is 6'6", 2XL and wears size 14 shoes. When we first got married, I had a devil of a time finding clothes and shoes in his size - usually had to go to Big & Tall stores which were significantly more. Now, I can at least get him shirts almost any where - including COSTCO. In fact, COSTCO has one of the better selection of larger sizes. It would only make sense to have a plus size store - or at least a section in the Emporium or World of Disney. And what Morrigoon is so true - the "women's" shirts are not sized for real women. Believe me, if you are any larger than an A cup - forget about it!! Come on guys - some of us have curves... and lots of them!
    I love curvy women!

• Senior Minion

I swear we've gotten some 3X things, either in the Emporium, or the World of Disney store across the way. But I could be wrong, and my wife, who would know, is still at work.

I'm lucky in that I can still wear some of the 2X stuff (Even though I'm 6'7", and about 22-23 stone, and have 18œ sized feet); but you're right, even the 2X apparel isn't configured right for my wife to be able to wear them.
    Last edited by Wotan; 04-11-2005 at 06:10 PM.

• Minion

On the opposite side is the problem of small sizes. A size 7 foot makes it really difficult to find good styles and limits one's choice. Same with clothing unless you are satisfied with something that is a weird pattern or color. Used to be that I could shop in the Boy's Department but since the '60s they aren't making miniature versions of men's clothing in those sizes.

I have some very large friends at 6'5' and above and am well aware of their problem in finding clothing to fit them along with size 14 shoe requirements.

I lean towards thinking that the larger size market is going to find a wider choice before us small ones in the future. I also wasn't aware that people pay more for the XXL and above size clothing...that's always been an annoyance for me in the past.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast