Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Fireworks CANCELLED last night (5/21/06)

Of course, this had to be the night... allow me to vent my frustration for a second.

My elderly (75) mother just LOVES fireworks. Everytime I see the "Remember..." show, I keep thinking how much she's love this one.

So, I brought her, and she shared lots of memories from Disneyland. Her first visit was in 1957, when Disneyland was surrounded by Orange Groves, and there was a dirt road to get to the parking lot.

For a while, 1971 or so to 1986 or so, we would go annually, since we lived in the city next door growing up. But she hadn't been back for 20 years.

She really enjoyed the parade, and was so happy to see that they've kept Disneyland looking so great, and so "clean", as she put it. She was fascinated by the landscaping and the flowers everywhere - things I barely notice in my rush to get to rides.

So that part was great. Then we got a great park bench, right in front of the castle at the hub, with a view of the matterhorn, two hours before the show ... and waited. Ate dinner...and waited.

When the announcements came on that the show might be cancelled due to high altitude winds, I said "don't worry -- I've heard this two times before, and those two times they did go through with the show".

9:25, our big moment, what we'd waited all day for ... and "I'm sorry, but the "Remember, Dreams do come true" fireworks show has been cancelled."

Auugh! Now I have to buy another ticket to get her in to see it later this year before it ends, with the crowds that come along with that.

Overall, a nice day, but the cancellation really bummed all of us out.

She was really hafter I had brought my 75 year old mother to the park (she visited in 1957, but hadn't been back for 20 years), just to see the fireworks. Auugh!

• Minion

Re: Fireworks CANCELLED last night (5/21/06)

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Of course, this had to be the night... allow me to vent my frustration for a second.

My elderly (75) mother just LOVES fireworks. Everytime I see the "Remember..." show, I keep thinking how much she's love this one.

So, I brought her, and she shared lots of memories from Disneyland. Her first visit was in 1957, when Disneyland was surrounded by Orange Groves, and there was a dirt road to get to the parking lot.

For a while, 1971 or so to 1986 or so, we would go annually, since we lived in the city next door growing up. But she hadn't been back for 20 years.

She really enjoyed the parade, and was so happy to see that they've kept Disneyland looking so great, and so "clean", as she put it. She was fascinated by the landscaping and the flowers everywhere - things I barely notice in my rush to get to rides.

So that part was great. Then we got a great park bench, right in front of the castle at the hub, with a view of the matterhorn, two hours before the show ... and waited. Ate dinner...and waited.

When the announcements came on that the show might be cancelled due to high altitude winds, I said "don't worry -- I've heard this two times before, and those two times they did go through with the show".

9:25, our big moment, what we'd waited all day for ... and "I'm sorry, but the "Remember, Dreams do come true" fireworks show has been cancelled."

Auugh! Now I have to buy another ticket to get her in to see it later this year before it ends, with the crowds that come along with that.

Overall, a nice day, but the cancellation really bummed all of us out.

She was really hafter I had brought my 75 year old mother to the park (she visited in 1957, but hadn't been back for 20 years), just to see the fireworks. Auugh!
    You guys should have complained at City Hall. They might have given you a pass for her to return at a different date. I know I have complained when Fantasmic was cancelled on me on my third attempt to try and see it for the first time. After the third cancellation in a row I went and explained to city hall that I really came just to see that show and they gave me tickets to come back each time I complained. I don't know if they still do it but I'm sure if you bitch hard enough you will get the freebies.

• Ian The Fox

I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you. It's too bad that there's no way to reliably predict the weather at least a day in advance.

One time, I was there with a couple of my friends when the fireworks got cancelled. As soon as I heard the announcement start, I shouted for my friends to run and we took off for Frontierland. As we were running, we heard a collective groan from the guests in the hub and then lots of shouting and a huge racket. I'm really glad that we got away from the ensuing insanity.
    Woof!

• Shubisha

I coulda told you they'd have been cancelled. The airplane was bumpy as all heck.

Come to think of it, that's what I said last time in one of these threads.. In fact the last 3 times I've flown into town it's rained a bit and there's been some high turbulence and the fireworks got cancelled I think heh.
    *innocent*

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Aww, I'm sorry
    It was sooooo windy on the ground that I knew they'd be cancelled.
    Something to keep inmind next time, though I hope that it doesn't happen again to you!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    You guys should have complained at City Hall. They might have given you a pass for her to return at a different date. I know I have complained when Fantasmic was cancelled on me on my third attempt to try and see it for the first time. After the third cancellation in a row I went and explained to city hall that I really came just to see that show and they gave me tickets to come back each time I complained. I don't know if they still do it but I'm sure if you bitch hard enough you will get the freebies.
    That is good information. A little late to help me, but it's posted here for others to take note of, which might help someone in the future. I'll also keep it in mind.

Really, I just thought it was Murphy's law.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Aww, I'm sorry
    It was sooooo windy on the ground that I knew they'd be cancelled.
    Something to keep inmind next time, though I hope that it doesn't happen again to you!
    I hope the same. And I didn't note that much wind on the ground or on the tree tops, but since we were in the park, maybe some of the structures sheltered us from the wind.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    I coulda told you they'd have been cancelled. The airplane was bumpy as all heck.

Come to think of it, that's what I said last time in one of these threads.. In fact the last 3 times I've flown into town it's rained a bit and there's been some high turbulence and the fireworks got cancelled I think heh.
    *innocent*
    Hmm... maybe I should be using you as my personal weather forecaster and predictor of fireworks cancellation? Can you post reports or leave cell messages? You seem to be developing quite a track record.

Come to think of it, it might have been all your fault. Please stop flying into town when I'm visiting. Thanks.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    I hope the same. And I didn't note that much wind on the ground or on the tree tops, but since we were in the park, maybe some of the structures sheltered us from the wind.
    We were standing out on Main Street when the fireworks were cancelled, and I could have predicted it since there was some wind on the ground, the flags were flapping in the wind on the MS buildings, etc. When NONE of that is happening they often cancel the fireworks due to "winds at high altitudes", so certainly those indicators mean no fireworks.

Sorry tho that your mom didn't get to see the fireworks. Hey, it's a great reason to come back to Disneyland for a second time this year!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    ... I could have predicted it since there was some wind on the ground, the flags were flapping in the wind on the MS buildings, etc. ...
    Sorry tho that your mom didn't get to see the fireworks. Hey, it's a great reason to come back to Disneyland for a second time this year!
    That's true, and that's how I'm looking at it - we're probably going to invite her again in September, or December, or both!

• Queen of Sarcasm

The CMs predicted no fireworks at 3:00pm. It was extremely overcast and quite windy at ground level. Now you will just have to come back later and enjoy the 50th Celebration all over again with your mom. Since we are coming into the summer season when it is less windy the fireworks will be cancelled a lot less.

• All you need is LOVE

I would take the ticket pay a difference and buy a so cal pass so she can go again

• The Dark Ride

One tip: The Weather Channel (weather.com) is your friend. The National Weather Service had storm advisories out for Sunday as early as Friday AM. It wasn't hard for us to see that the fireworks would be doubtful. Check the weather in the days leading up to your visit, and if there's any substantial forecast of rain or storms, you can forget the fireworks. (The new show just has too many shells and effects over the park, they won't take any chances.)
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dark
    One tip: The Weather Channel (weather.com) is your friend. The National Weather Service had storm advisories out for Sunday as early as Friday AM. It wasn't hard for us to see that the fireworks would be doubtful. Check the weather in the days leading up to your visit, and if there's any substantial forecast of rain or storms, you can forget the fireworks. (The new show just has too many shells and effects over the park, they won't take any chances.)
    Thanks!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    You can't complain to City Hall- it's unfortunately due just to bad weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast