Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Did Disneyland loosen the dress code?

I remember back in the 90's when I went to Disneyland on a frequent basis (once or twice a week) that there used to be a dress code. If you were dressed in a costume, for example, you were not allowed into the park. This also included extreme hairstyles like mohawks and skimpy clothing on underage girls.

Well, this past weekend I saw this one guy.....several times actually as he was very hard to miss...wearing large platform shoes, leather pants, punk style clothing and the most outreageous mohawk I had ever seen. Later on that evening, there was a group of girls waiting in line for Space Mountain. They couldn't have been older than 12 or 13 wearing the tiniest skirts and tops showing what little cleavage they had. And of that wasn't bad enough some of them would sit on the chain with their legs spread and giving anyone who happened to glance that way a free panty show!

I remember that Disneyland used to have a dresscode. In fact a couple of old friends of mine were actually turned away because they were dressed in Victorian dress and the reason they were given was they looked like they were in costume and guests would confuse them for being CM's, which was true because they looked as though they would fit in perfectly on Haunted Mansion.

But back to the point. Has anyone else noticed if they dress codes have changed over the years? What other "shocking" attire have you witnessed?

Re: Did Disneyland loosen the dress code?

the stomach trend.....girls wear the tightest jeans they can fit in and even if they are skinny the fat sticks out. saw a lot of this at my school and even dl.

I don't know if they loosened it but rather pretty much did away with it. I have never seen any specific dress code publicized in signage or literature. DL is private property so they have a right to refuse service to anyone who they deem to be offensive or disruptive to their operations or other guests but as to a formal, published dress code, I'm not aware of one.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I've noticed this too. If I had to guess, I'd say the rules haven't changed and these people are admitted because of the "guest is always right" mindset that is so prevalent as of late. That mindset keeps a lot of rules from being enforced.

Also, I've seen a few high school couples dressed up for prom around the park lately and wondered about the dress code. They were dressed very formally and the girls could easily be mistaken for some kind of princess on first glance.

• Banned User

I don't think the dress code has changed at all.

But the difference now is that people in the 1955's actually cared what they looked like while at DL- they actually wore suits.

Now today people dress like slobs (at least most of them).

• Regular Newbie :)

I don't think a mohawk is comparible to your friends getting kicked out for their victorian style dresses. No one is going to mistake a guy with a mohawk for a cm... just my thought

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Disney is more "accepting" now with what attire a guest wears. Like back in the 60s, if a guy had really long hair, he wasn't allowed in.

However, the costume thing is still in effect (obviously little kids are exempt from this because they aren't old enough to be CMs). I'm not sure how strict the costume rule is, but if I dressed up as say, Alice or Sleeping Beauty, I'd be turned away.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Disney is more "accepting" now with what attire a guest wears. However, the costume thing is still in effect (obviously little kids are exempt from this because they aren't old enough to be CMs). I'm not sure how strict the costume rule is, but if I dressed up as say, Alice or Sleeping Beauty, I'd be turned away.
    haha... I love seeing all the cute little girls dressed after their favorite disney character. I'm slightly jealous!

• Namaste and Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Princessa_Susy
    the stomach trend.....girls wear the tightest jeans they can fit in and even if they are skinny the fat sticks out. saw a lot of this at my school and even dl.
    My gf calls them "muffin tops" because they hang over their pants like muffins.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Justin
    My gf calls them "muffin tops" because they hang over their pants like muffins.
    haha... good observation bleh!

• Banned User

I've been going to the park regularly for the past 6 years now...
    Although I've seen a decline in the dress code (I'M NOT TALKING
    SWEAT PANTS, I'M TALKING SLUTTY, BIZARRE and GROSS!) in
    the past few years... I remember them having a dress code a
    while back when I went in high school (15 yrs ago), but nothing
    recently. I remember the grad night before us (1990) people were
    told they had to wear dresses and pant suits (yes, to DL & MMtn).
    (could've been why our school nixed the trip for our class -
    lack of interest due to dresscode.)

I think with the discrimination (sex, age, gender, etc)
    that is seen nationally, they don't dare refuse entrance
    to anyone. Fear of a lawsuit... but...

I don't mind seeing sweat pants (wear them alot myself in the
    cold winter months), or tank tops (NOT HALTERS), but whatever
    it is should be worn in good taste. If you are looking like a gang
    member or like you haven't been home since your work on
    Hollywood Boulevard the night before (if you know what I mean),
    or look like Edward Sissorhands - those are extremes that should
    be refused. Everyone must remember it is a family park! Cover up
    and attempt to be normal while in the park!

• It's all nonsense

This is an interesting development. I'll a make note of it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by MSEPLightningBug
    ...attempt to be normal while in the park!
    Define normal

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

But the difference now is that people in the 1955's actually cared what they looked like while at DL- they actually wore suits.

Now today people dress like slobs (at least most of them).
    I really don't think this is true. There's always people of any time period that dress like slobs and don't care about their appearance or respect toward others. It's just simply a matter of whether or not they were let in the park.

Such broad generalizations about a time period like that are usually mistakes.

This thread reminded me of a visit to Disneyland in 1985. I remember it vividly for some reason, and I know it was '85 because I had a 30th Anniversary sweatshirt on that I had just bought at the Star Trader. I still have the pics from that visit.

My mom and I were going up the speedramp to the PeopleMover platform and there was a couple in front of us. The young lady, about 18 or 20 years old, had on a bright blue micro-mini skirt that had just become fashionable again. Her matching top was lowcut and showed off her midriff and her cleavage. She had huge ratted out hair with neon colored bows and hair clips in it. She had on strappy high heel shoes that she could barely stand up in on the inclined speedramp. She was literally hanging off her equally trendy boyfriend who was wearing skintight black leather pants and a sleeveless t-shirt with lots of slashes and tears in it. His hair was moused to the ceiling, and they both appeared to share the same eyeliner. They were kissing and groping and oogling all the way up to the PeopleMover platform and my mom made sure we got into a different train than they did. As our train left the platform she pointed to them ahead of us and said "Walt would have NEVER let that happen here 20 years ago! They'll let anyone into Disneyland nowadays!"

That was 1985. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast