Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

PHOTOS of the Patina Passholder Food and Drink Event 05/22/2006

The Patina Group hosted a “culinary tour” of their Downtown Disney restaurant locations on Monday, May 22nd, from 4-9 p.m. This was not a guided tour per se, but a self-guided exploration of the three Patina restaurants in Downtown Disney. A "reception area" at each location provided an opportunity to sample dishes made at that restaurant, and wristbands were available at checkin.

The cost was $10 per person, and the event was limited to Disneyland Resort annual passholders and their guests.

So, let's begin the tour! First up on the list was Tortilla Jo's. Because alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks were included for your $10.00, this was a good deal indeed. The margarita below was $8.50 on the menu, and the bartender made these good and STRONG, and kept them coming:

The restaurant also had a Trio Mexicana, that is, a singing group that serenaded each table. They had limited seating, but not many people waiting too long.

Food never looks appetizing when photographed, but this selection from Tortilla Jo's below isn't really half eaten, just not cleanly arranged on the plate. Service was buffet style, and included tortillas, chips and salsa, guacamole, marinated shredded beef and chicken, and fajita beef and chicken, as well as rice, beans, and an assortment of desserts, including cookies:

I think we also had a few glasses of a Cabernet thrown in there in between Margaritas. They asked if I wanted Cabernet or Merlot, to which the only appropriate response is, "I am not drinking any friggin' MERLOT!" Things are starting to get hazy here, and we were only at the first restaurant! Time to move on.

And move on we did... to Catal. What a mess. Catal was busy with regular diners, and pushed us to the back corner of the upper level. They were constantly running out of food, definitely didn't have enough tables, and had a huge line waiting for food to be restocked.

Below is the "White Wine Sangria", which was okay. The bartender seemed overwhelmed and ran out of strawberries later in the evening. This drink is made with white wine, white grape juice, fresh mint, and slices of strawberries, and ice:

I never tasted much of what they had at Catal, but when they restocked a dish, there was a feeding frenzy. They had a spinach and cheese salad, tender beef cubes, an apple cobbler dessert (replaced with a brownie dessert when they ran out), and these unidentified appetizers, which ran out before I had a chance to taste them:

My only thought is that Catal, which didn't seem enthused by passholders, made an environment that caused people to move on, and not spend too much time there. A shame, as Catal has many Mediterranean tastes that might appeal to diners to come back for lunch or dinner another time.

Final stop was Napoli, where they had more than sufficient seating, white and red wine, and three stations, which prevented long lines at any one place.

On the plate below you'll see a little lasagna, (they had vegetarian and meat, which was nice), a polenta with red sauce, part of a cheese pizza, and prosciutto. A crostini with olive tapenade is also on the plate, and they had bruschetta as well. Very tasty.

All in all, I loved Tortilla Jo's, which is really the only time I've had a good time at that restaurant. Catal, which was my favorite before this event, was an unpleasant place to be with all the food delays, the long line, and the impatient diners and frustrated staff. This really is an incredible deal for $10.00, however, and overall, the value for price was amazing, and some of the food was really good.

My 14 month old son didn't care much for any of it -- he preferred the fries he had earlier at the Storyteller's Cafe. Sometimes he can be the harshest food critic of all:
    Last edited by RobotMirror; 05-23-2006 at 01:23 AM.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: PHOTOS of the Patina Passholder Food and Drink Event 05/22/2006

I dont see anything

• Wicket Pan the Avenger!

that all looks delicious
    "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
    "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
    "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Wicket
    that all looks delicious
    And delicious it was!

• All you need is LOVE

I also went to the event with some of my best friends I did not see you guys. I would have said hi

• Ian The Fox

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun tasting all of the food!
    Woof!

• The Dark Ride

Sounds to me like they knew Catal was their most popular place and purposely used it to lure in folks. I mean, entertainment and plenty of food at Tortilla Joes, tons of food and space at Napoli, lots of hooch at both...and at Catal, tiny space, rude staff, food shortages, and a general hassle. I think you're right, I think the message was 'go eat at one of the less popular places, dammit, we're losing money!!!' It's quite a genius move if you think about it...use the most popular place to get people to try the less popular places and, perhaps, return there in the future.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• Still wants to be a cat!

The Wolfpack was there also, sounds like were were a bit earlier than you, and had no problem at Catal's, one of the servers seated us, and then 5 or 6 more Micechatters joined us with no problem. Food was excellent, wine drink was ....... bad, but can you expect for $10.00 all inclusive! The evening was very enjoyable and will go again next year as long as they hold this again.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Also attended the event last night. And also had problems at Catal. As bad as thing were when we arrived (slow line, most food items missing, full tables) we were able to settle in and try everything. We were part of the feeding frenzy that occured as each new item was finally brought out, which happened frequently since they were constantly running out. Everything was delicious, though, and we all got our fill of our favorites.
    Napoli was good, as it was last year. Plenty of seating, plenty of food, and everything good and fresh.
    We ended at Tortilla Joe's which was good, since the food was only so-so. But the wait staff was extra nice and brought my mom fresh coffee with her own little pot, even though it wasn't one of the 'free' drinks they offered. All in all, another nice event and I'll go again next year.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    The Wolfpack was there also, sounds like were were a bit earlier than you, and had no problem at Catal's, one of the servers seated us, and then 5 or 6 more Micechatters joined us with no problem. Food was excellent, wine drink was ....... bad, but can you expect for $10.00 all inclusive! The evening was very enjoyable and will go again next year as long as they hold this again.
    This was my first time, and I think you may have stumbled on a better strategy, with the following rules:

1. Get there early; and
    2. Go to Catal first!

Great food and drinks for the price, and I'll go again. The manager at Tortilla Jos told me that they will do this every six months now, and that they WANT word of mouth to spread the word, not advertising.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Due to Tortilla Jo's not letting people upstairs when we got there, unless they already had a wristband, we hit Catal first. I am so glad. Catal was, IMO, by far the best of the night. White sangria, giant shrimp wrapped in Serrano ham with a tomato vinagrette for drizzling, melt in your mouth braised boness shortribs with a Dijon vinagrette, an onion tart, spinach salad with candied walnuts and dates. And, for dessert miniature tarts in chocolate blackberry, or custard and rasberry and then a little cream puff. Torttilla Jos was pretty good. Starting with a red sangria or regular and strawberry margaritas, guacamole, chips, quesadillas, biuld your own tacos, fajitas, beans and rice. Cookies for dessert. Napoli, to me anyway, is kind of boring. But they had Pinot Grigio, meat or veggie lasagna, pizzas, bruschetti, chunks of parmagiano with prosciutto, salami, mortadella and cappicola. Dessert was excellent with gelatos and sorbets with biscotti.
    I am really looking forward to the next one.
    Mike

• Prefect

Blog Entries

"I am not drinking any friggin' MERLOT!"

Didn't they do one of these earlier in the year, too? How did I not know about this one? Hmmmm.... Oh well, I'm glad you had a good time!
    <o>

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    Due to Tortilla Jo's not letting people upstairs when we got there, unless they already had a wristband, we hit Catal first. I am so glad. Catal was, IMO, by far the best of the night. White sangria, giant shrimp wrapped in Serrano ham with a tomato vinagrette for drizzling, melt in your mouth braised boness shortribs with a Dijon vinagrette, an onion tart, spinach salad with candied walnuts and dates. And, for dessert miniature tarts in chocolate blackberry, or custard and rasberry and then a little cream puff. Torttilla Jos was pretty good. Starting with a red sangria or regular and strawberry margaritas, guacamole, chips, quesadillas, biuld your own tacos, fajitas, beans and rice. Cookies for dessert. Napoli, to me anyway, is kind of boring. But they had Pinot Grigio, meat or veggie lasagna, pizzas, bruschetti, chunks of parmagiano with prosciutto, salami, mortadella and cappicola. Dessert was excellent with gelatos and sorbets with biscotti.
    I am really looking forward to the next one.
    I forgot to mention the shrimp wrapped in Serrano ham at Catal ... those were DELICIOUS!

•   

Thumbs up Re: PHOTOS of the Patina Passholder Food and Drink Event 05/22/2006

We also attended and found it to be as good as the November event. Least favorite was Napoli as the pizza was undercooked. This can't be the same pizza that they charge $28 for a large in the restaurant. I agree that Catal wasn't set up for the event. They squeezed us in the back this time and the buffet line was more of a "dead end" whereas last year they had multiple stations which kept lines from forming. The food was fantastic when it arrived and while it lasted. Tortilla Joes did a great job.

Congrats and a BIG THANKS to the Patina Group for holding these events for AP holders.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for the pictures and report. I think next time we will have to go ahead and plan on coming over for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast