Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Just why is the castle walkthrough closed?

The Disney Sleeping Beauty Castle walk through was magnificent. Why oh why is it closed!

I have been told two "theories" which I ask all of you to please comment.

1. I heard it was closed due to it's narrow hallways and no wheelchair or emergency exits.

2. I also read on some newsgroup posting that it was closed due to security reasons and the fact that it closed shortly after 9-11 was testimony to this "truth".

I was talking to my three year old tomnight and she asked if we can go into the castle.... I said of course... hoping that passing under and then seeing all the fantasyland stuff would impress her to not understand we never actually "entered" it.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Just why is the castle walkthrough closed?

Security was the number 1 reason, they actually closed the castle walkthrough during the middle of a MouseAdventure game in early October, when the US entered Iraq.

Before that, it was pretty much a un-manned attraction which didn't cost much to operate.

Recently they took out some of the Diorama's to use on Main Street, and the chance of it reopening are slim to none.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 05-25-2006 at 07:10 AM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

#1 is a non-issue, except on a Public Relations basis. Existing buildings and attractions are Grandfathered from forced addition of access methods.

#2 is more of a problem, since there are a lot of access doors and hatches in there - they are used to get out onto the various levels of the roof and climb up into the spires of the towers, for maintenance and to rig the fireworks for the Believe... show.

All they have to do is forget to lock just one of those doors, and a child goes wandering out onto the roof...

As an added incentive to close it, the diorama displays were looking rather bad and needed a full rework, and they had to provide at least one CM to monitor the attraction - which couldn't be done properly, as there were no cameras inside, and no alarms on all those access doors.

It would take a lot of money and effort to get it open again, and for little return because most people didn't even know it was there. They can advertise the Subs rework with Nemo and get an attendance bump out or it, but they can't get the investment back if they spend a lot of money on the walkthrough.

Between redoing all the diorama displays (including the ones with minimally motorized 'animatronics'), a comprehensive security camera and recording system, a revamped fire and security alarm system, revamped fire sprinklers, emergency lighting and EXIT signs... They could spend a quarter million without breathing hard.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Security was the number 1 reason, they actually closed the castle walkthrough during the middle of a MouseAdventure game in early October, when the US entered Iran.

Before that, it was pretty much a un-manned attraction which didn't cost much to operate.

Recently they took out some of the Diorama's to use on Main Street, and the chance of it reopening are slim to none.
    so right you rock DB

• Regular Newbie :)

It really stinks that we can't go in it... I always really liked going up there even thought it was a little tight

• curiouser and curiouser

Security was the number 1 reason, they actually closed the castle walkthrough during the middle of a MouseAdventure game in early October, when the US entered Iran.
    do you mean iraq or have i missed something?

• Ian The Fox

Perhaps we could just remember it through pictures of the dioramas. Does anyone have any?
    Woof!

• Neep meep beep

Security was the number 1 reason, they actually closed the castle walkthrough during the middle of a MouseAdventure game in early October, when the US entered Iran. ...
    Iran? Really? Wow. I knew this would happen one day!

Seriously, is this official word? With the cursory package checks, and the fact that you can walk under the castle several different ways, I have a hard time believing that this is the official reason.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

OOPS, it was after midnight (I did edit my first post...)

And yes, every former Disneyland VP Randy Baumgarden stated that the Castle was closed for security reasons. Since the walkthrough was not supervised, and had a lot of opportunity to just "leave" something behind, the decision was to close it down.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I heard that another reason they are NOT likely to reopen the walkthru is because they have always had a problem with the cats staying in the castle. Everyday is was a huge task to clean, get the cats out, and make sure it did not stink of cat urine.

This one time on Friends . . .

• Boat shoes all day long

I heard that they closed the walk through because of ghosts.
    Apparently a master of the janitorial profession was cleaning up one evening after hours and came across a sight that he will not soon forget. Ghosts were causing mayhem near the scene where the animals dress up like the prince (probably because this part is very strange) and the ghosts felt it needed to go.
    They squirted hand soap from the restrooms all over the looking glass and were using their ghosty fingers to draw obscene pictures in the soap. The janitor got so mad that he lunged at them, only to fall onto the soap, and like a slip-n-slide, streaked across the ground and proceeded to barrel down the stairs. He got to his feet, locked the door, and ran out of the park like a chicken with his head cut off.
    The reason the ride is now closed is because he took the key with him and hasn't returned it. As soon as we can find this janitor, we can have our sleeping beauty walk-through back.

• Frozen lemonade addict!

Didnt I just make a thread on this topic? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Im so sad its closed.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/
    http://jjhernandez.smugmug.com

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

I really miss the castle walk thru. It's the one thing I actually remember from my first visit at 5 years old
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• Closed Account

OOPS, it was after midnight (I did edit my first post...)
    My guess is, you might want to edit that to read "Afghanistan."

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf
    I heard that they closed the walk through because of ghosts.
    Apparently a master of the janitorial profession was cleaning up one evening after hours and came across a sight that he will not soon forget. Ghosts were causing mayhem near the scene where the animals dress up like the prince (probably because this part is very strange) and the ghosts felt it needed to go.
    They squirted hand soap from the restrooms all over the looking glass and were using their ghosty fingers to draw obscene pictures in the soap. The janitor got so mad that he lunged at them, only to fall onto the soap, and like a slip-n-slide, streaked across the ground and proceeded to barrel down the stairs. He got to his feet, locked the door, and ran out of the park like a chicken with his head cut off.
    The reason the ride is now closed is because he took the key with him and hasn't returned it. As soon as we can find this janitor, we can have our sleeping beauty walk-through back.
    I really love this explanation!

I don't mean to be a, well, you know. But i've only been on micechat since mid-april and this is the 3rd thread i've seen on this topic.

But I'll say again that I really loved the walkthrough and hope they bring it back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast