Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• dreams do come true

Disneyland gets bomb threts all the time and the castle being one of the most known landmarks in the country yes it is a big target. after 9/11 they found out threw the government that a list was found and Disneyland was on it so they closed down the castle to never opn agian. There is no way to secure the castle. it has nothing to do with staffing, it was hardly ever staffed any way. It was like the tree house is now where a cast member walks threw every once in a wial, the tree house is taken care of by JC cast members when they go on task mst never do it thoght.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Gosh, I never realized it was a sort of secret. I guess I just always knew it was there and assumed everyone else did too. I can't even remember the last time I went through it. Probably 6 or so years. Not something I did on every visit. Funny how you don't realize how much you will miss something until it is gone.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Circle of Ancients

The Investigation

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaPrincess
    If you have the special fancy edition of Sleeping Beauty on the 2 disc DVD, there are a bunch of color photos of it in the photo gallery section.

Sad for me, that was the first time I ever saw it....
    Actually... the photos on the DVD are not of the modern ( as we know it)attraction. There are photos of the original illustrations that once were in the walkthrough, but the dioramas themselves do not appear anywhere on the DVD. They do have photos of the inside of DLP's Sleeping Beauty Castle though. I as very upset to see this, the "extras" advertising was very decieving.

I have done an extensive search to try and locate photos of all of the dioramas, but there is always one major scene that never turns up, The Dragon. That was certainly the best diorama there in my opinion. It was covered up around 2000 for some unknown reasons, and ever since then I was trying to find this scene in a photograph.

Do any of you have a photo of this scene? Any personal photos of the attraction would be very much appreciated.

This was certainly the best hidden attraction in any Disney park. I was infuriated when they decided to close it. I still had some hope when it was on the refurb schedule, but when Disney removed it from there, I was fit to be tied. I fought to get this attraction back open, but it didn't work, and all the personel I talked to said that "it was in the best interest of our guests". That was outrageous!!!!!!!!

They were just looking for an excuse to close this down. It had been attempted before in the early 90s, but the attempts were stopped. Sadly no one could stop these attempts, because of the sly listing of it on the refurb schedule.

Yeah. I am passionate about this, but that is because my favorite Disney film is Sleeping Beauty, and the original is now the only castle that you can not walk inside of.

If they did re-open it, that would be the best present ever!
    Last edited by Aura of Foreboding; 04-13-2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added in smileys

• Santa Barbara, CA

One night I wriggled the medieval lever and the door opened. Slipping into the shadows under the canopy, I found a flashlight sitting on the display stand. Flicking it to life, the beams shone across the spotted faux stone like a cheap spotlight on a high school play.
    Winding up the steps there were empty display cases like pulled teeth, wires dangling from the rafters above. Rats scurried by as I made my way to the top. It was almost dreamlike, but there was a chilling fog wafting down the plywood steps. A green glow shone from the cut out fretwork beyond. A low hum shook the floor the closer i got to the gothic doorway. Then it all made sense. I was in the presence of something i had drempt of.

A Stainless steel monolith stood upright looming over me. It was covered in thin frost.
    The flashlight brought a dull gleam of bronze, it was an inscribed plate attached to the massive cube. Rubbing off the frost, it read. "To all who come to this frozen place, welcome. Disneyland is now your land. It belongs to those who love it, not just those who exploit it's emotional strength. Leave a pack of cigarettes and a Scotch mist and close the door behind you"- Walt.

Wow..it was our place after all. He gave it to us. And they are keeping him in the castle..I wish i could look inside..

Just then some guys from outdoor foods came in and opened the other side of the cooler and took out a bunch of fudgecicles. they scrawled some numbers on a clipboard and moved a few crates in. It was all just ice cream. Some CM ripped off the plaque and laughed, handing me a confection he just grinned... "sucker"...

And from then on the door was locked. that was Sept 10th 2001.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Sock Puppet

That's vivid.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding
    I have done an extensive search to try and locate photos of all of the dioramas, but there is always one major scene that never turns up, The Dragon.
    That's because the sucker had such low light levels, it wouldn't turn out unless you used a flash. At which point it looked horrible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• CM for 4 years!

You're right, Kevin, that does look pretty horrible-- and nothing like the greatness that it was.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I never got to see it

Even though the pictures don't convey it as much, these dioramas must have been beautiful.

Darn. Of all the things they shut down for US bombing, why this? I mean sure, it's the castle and the trademark...it still seems pretty pathetic to me. And Disneyland probably gets threats all the time. It's 2005 and not really an issue anymore.

Eisner probably just wanted people to stay away from the walkthrough and just go to the Princess shop instead. Oye.

It almost feels like so much of the old Disney classics are being wiped out of the park, or are heading that way. New and updates are good, but something as beautiful and special as this should have been kept on display.

• Disney Blood Sisters

I really liked it too! I'm sorry for everyone that never got to see it

Do you think they'll do anything with the empty space in the castle?
    "Just remember the month of May followed by a nerd."

• wasting time

Thanks for that particular pic Kevin! The last time I walked thru the wak-thru (about 1 month before it closed) this particular window was covered with a painting of the dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    How is this a security issue in the day of mini-cameras everywhere? They don't want to pay someone to watch the monitors?
    Key word there; "pay".

I too think it was silly to remove it. A bomb can very easily be snuck into the park. If you walk through the bag check point carrying a blanket or sweater the CM's won't search it & will let you walk right in. If terrorists really wanted to blow up the castle they could easily sneak some bombs into the park and plant them in the gift shop by the drawbridge. It's not hard to do. Removing the walk-thru won't stop them if that's their intent.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    I too think it was silly to remove it. A bomb can very easily be snuck into the park. If you walk through the bag check point carrying a blanket or sweater the CM's won't search it & will let you walk right in. If terrorists really wanted to blow up the castle they could easily sneak some bombs into the park and plant them in the gift shop by the drawbridge. It's not hard to do. Removing the walk-thru won't stop them if that's their intent.
    Thanks for the idea, EM.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Hm...I don't think it was so much the fact that a terrorist could stick a bomb up there that sealed the Castle Walkthrough's fate...I think it had to do more with the fact that they weren't able to figure out how to renovate it to make it up to standard code for wheelchair accessibility. The corridors that the dioramas were contained in had very little space to walk, and the walkways itself would be kind of steep if made into a ramp. Plus, if they could get one to actually fit in there, and a wheelchair got stuck somehow, or if the person fell out of their chair, it would cause a major traffic jam in the tower. That's my theories, anyway.

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, as we stated in an earlier thread, Guardian Dragon, dear--this logic falls apart when you consider that TARZAN's TREE HOUSE is still open for all to climb--without being accessible to the handicapped. Also, Sleeping Beauty Castle was built before the codes were updated and is considered a 'grandfathered' exception to current codes

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland dude
    If they did close it because of terrorism why didnt they close Cinderella's Royal Table at WDW? Its in the castle so isn't it the same situation?

Yes but they make MONEY on Cinderella's Royal Table. Sleeping Beuaty Walkthrough is probably a waste fo space in their eyes
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianDragon_Mushu
    Hm...I don't think it was so much the fact that a terrorist could stick a bomb up there that sealed the Castle Walkthrough's fate...I think it had to do more with the fact that they weren't able to figure out how to renovate it to make it up to standard code for wheelchair accessibility. The corridors that the dioramas were contained in had very little space to walk, and the walkways itself would be kind of steep if made into a ramp. Plus, if they could get one to actually fit in there, and a wheelchair got stuck somehow, or if the person fell out of their chair, it would cause a major traffic jam in the tower. That's my theories, anyway.
    As others have already stated, the castle walkthru does not have to be wheelchair accessible. That theory is false. The walkthru closed in the middle of the day on October 7, 2001, the day George Bush Jr started bombing Afghanistan. It's fear of terrorism that's stopping TDA from reopening it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    Thanks for the idea, EM.
    Anytime

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast