Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Does HOney I Shrunk The Audience ever change???

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    "Honey" is easily the worst attraction at Disneyland, and that is saying something considering that Innoventions and Winnie the Pooh are there now.

Wayne Szalinski is getting an "Inventor of the Year" award from the Imagination Institute for his incredible shrinking machine, but during a demonstration the auditorium containing the audience to the ceremony accidentally gets shrunk. The problem is that the show is full of bad dialogue, bad acting, and a random series of lowbrow 3-D tricks. And, the Szalinski clan are far too conected to contemporary reality to easily fit in Tomorrowland.

"Captain EO", conversely, had music and fantasy, and it was set in an otherworldly and futuristic environment.
    I really wished I had gotten to see Captain EO

Did anyone get to see it? If so, did you guys enjoy it??

You might still be able to get a sense of "Captain EO". I recorded much of it on VHS when MTV broadcast the short-subject film, and I know that a copy of that same broadcast is floating around somewhere on YouTube.com.

Disney should sell D.V.D.'s of some of these old attractions like "Captain EO" and "American Journeys".

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Actually there are times where it is a bit different. On rare occasions they are not able to bring the audience back to normal size. In that case they take the audience members, put them in funny outfits, and place them on small world and tell everyone 'its a refurbishment'.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    I really wished I had gotten to see Captain EO

Did anyone get to see it? If so, did you guys enjoy it??
    I enjoyed it immensely, it was by far my favorite attraction as a kid. The thing is, you left the theater feeling good about yourself with a sense of optimism for the future. The dance moves and music were absolutely out of this world, there hasn't really been anything like it since then. The effects were particularly convincing too, the starfield in the very beginning and in-theater laser blasts/smoke explosions were a LOT more realistic than this computerized crap nowadays.

My absolute FAVORITE part was in the end when the restored queen is waving and Captain EO's ship takes off, then they play an abbreviated rendition "Another Part of Me" complete with lasers shooting everywhere. OMG, it gave me goosebumps every time.

You know what, I simply don't care that Michael Jackson is weird. He was an excellent entertainer and I would welcome Captain EO back any day.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Then maybe I will see it.

I just hate going into Tomorrowland- its such an a ugly state right now.
    I feel your pain. A swift walk/run to the Space Mountain queue after Buzz (and possibly Star Tours) is about all I can do to relieve myself of the pain and aguich that befalls me when I'm in Tomorrowland. (A bit of exaggeration, possibly.)

I think only someone who has experienced every current attraction could be considered a true Disneyland fan.

As for Captain Ego: saw it once, didn't need to see it again. Now in comparison to HISTA, Eo was just a 3-D movie. HISTA's got a little more than that. (Tease to get you in.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yeah it's too bad Disney downplayed "Hitchhiker's Guide" so much after it came out. It was pretty good, did relativly well in theaters, and is much more Tomorrowland than a 90s science movie.
    Besides say Hitchhikers is "not know" well it is about as know nowadays as Honey I Shrunk the Kid .

You may now have your thread back.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

I am so impressed with this board! I posted this at lunch and we have so many great ideas and suggestions already!

The LOST suggestion was only to mention something cultural. I mean, lets face it Tomarrowland is extreamly hard to keep up to date when a new XBOX comes out every 6 minutes to tantalize young minds.

I agree that a LOST themes ride would be nicer in Adventureland due to the location but Lost is far more about Science and Faith than Gillian and Skipper.

I would HATE to see Captain EO ever again..... my goodness, can you imagine!! ...... (imagine.... imagine.....)

Lets have OJ and MJ together in E02: Return of the Innocent"
    Maybe, "Honey they shrunk my Enron Pension" is better than MJ/OJ/EO2"

or better.... "Honey, Captain EO's sister just had a wardrobe malfunction in 3D."

I miss the Country Bears......... *sigh*

• FastPass n00b

I think Captain EO was not immune to its time period, the costumes and definitely the hairstyles are straight out of the 1980's. And let's face it, it was a very expensive, very elaborate music video. The difference however, and what I think kept it good for so long, is that it used imagination over technology. The only way to keep something from going stale it to add imagination to it...that's why so many of Disneyland's classic attractions are still so good 40 or 50 years later.

Unfortunately, there are currently no visionaries like George Lucas or Francis Ford Coppola today. Technology and movie layovers are all the rage now and it really cheapens the quality of rides and degrades their appeal over time. The brightest minds in the industry today, and all they can come up with nowadays is movie tie-ins and plots straight out of Pixar's films.

I'll wait and see if Lasseter can finally get Disney out of it's rut, but so far I haven't been too impressed with Robert Iger since he has officially been running the company for a year now. I'll definitely take a wait-and-see approach, but something better happen quick because Disney has not made a turn-around at all, they've basically just stopped the bleeding and are holding steady at their current underachieving level from the late 1990's/early 2000's.

That would be interesting if it did change, kind of like how Circle Vision changed between American Journeys and Wonders of China. That's what I miss. But I don't know what film they could switch it out with? I mean Disneyland Resort has all of the current Disney 3D films (HISTA, Muppets, a bugs life) except for Philarmagic. They would need a new 3d film.

Wasn't there another 3d film between Disney and George Lucas planned during the early 90s as the successor for EO?

Too bad they couldn't like gut Magic Eye Theater and turn it into a Circle Vision theater, with different films and have different audio animatronic hosts.

• Bleh...

OFF TOPIC! SEE ABOVE! I for one would love to see a Hitchhiker's 3-D show in place of Honey. They wouldn't even necessarily need any of the actors. They could just get Alan Rickman to record some lines and trot out a midget in the Marvin suit.

• ...TWO BITS!

Disney Dreamer- all i have to say is "don't judge a book by its cover"

Don't let people think for you- try HISTA out, if you don't like it, don't go. You're just looking at this through word-of-mouth. Nothing personal, this is just how I view life...

Personally, I think it's okay. It's not good, it's not bad...

My suggestion- TRON: ENTER THE CYBERWORLD

^ I think you get the picture. A new Tron 3/4D movie attraction. One little note: at one or few points during the movie, the whole theater is lit up in circuit lines to fully immerse the audience in the cyberworld.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I do really like the fact that "Honey" does try to fictionalize the audience and present a complete experience, as opposed to "Captain EO", which was just a film in a hypothetically futuristic theatre. In that way, the attraction is more involving and participatory since the action is happening to the guests.

I would have preferred getting The Timekeeper in the former Circle-Vision 360 theatre than "Honey". The Timekeeper was based on a fanciful and clever idea that actually fit Tomorrowland.

In developing a replacement for "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience", Imagineering should really exercise its imagination and come-up with something off-the-wall.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    Not that I want back Captaion EO, but "Honey, we've milked this thing long enough."

Does it ever change? Even seasonally?
    No it's always old, obsolete and boring. Like just about everything else in Tomorrowland.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

I hated EO, even as a child born in the early 80's. I remember just being bored. The characters were lame, the story moved slowly, and it was just like watching a movie with bad 3-D gimicks.

On the other hand, I loved HISTA when I first visited it in Epcot. The objects are in 3-D because they are supposed to be real...It made the experience much more enjoyable and exciting. I loved the F/X that interacted with the audience.

Nowadays, yes it is getting old. I haven't been in there in years. Tough to be a Bug is far superior using the same idea, but the show isn't horrid, in fact it is still good. The problem with it, with all 3-D shows, is you are watching a movie. And I don't know any movie I would want to watch as often as I visit Disneyland. And at least it is better than most of Terminator (MAJOR dissapointment).

I would replace it for timelyness sake. With what? I say move startrader in there and have a darkride in startrader/starcade. I think 3-D movies just aren't that "futuristic" anymore. I know everyone loves Philharmagic, so bring that to toontown and then the park has one 3-D attraction, all that's really needed. People suggest circlevision or timekeeper, but these attractions bored me as well. They were also uncomfortable for me as a child because I had been on my feet all day and now I was watching a movie standing up. This is the reason these attractions have not survived at any park. People aren't passive at amuesment parks, they don't want to watch a movie, they want to be IN the movie.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast