Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outsourcing DCA

• Zero Blockout Dates

Re: Outsourcing DCA

Last edited by Uzmati; 05-30-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    you mean the way Toontown or Critter Country move along the hub so well?

And face it DCA is not a stand alone Disney park, and alasit often feels like it will never be one. Stil love the place though.

And it does have a cool and complete theme. It could be blended into the DL nice and easy. Disneyland would suddenly have loads of room for growing and pick up a couple E-tickets it could use. Seems like a fair enough trade.
    There's a difference between those two areas fitting into the hub scheme and completely wrecking the hub scheme all together. If the parks were combined, it would be like a barbell design.

I never said that DCA is a stand alone Disney park, but I feel that the work is slowly being made to set that right.

I didn't say DCA didn't have a cool and complete theme. All I mentioned was how I think it would be weird to try to integrate Disneyland in DCA. I mean, logically, besides the example I gave, how does something like Disneyland fit in DCA and vice versa. For that matter, how do the gained E-Tickets fit into this new "combined park". Sure, Grizzly River Run would work, but oh wait, Critter Country is way across and so it feels sort of out there. Rename it to Bear Country....maybe.

I think the current plan for improvements to DCA is a vital first step. The park needs a LOT more than just more to do, things that should have been considered and implemented the correct way before they worried about expanding the park. Personally, I still think Disney should just ditch the California part and try to emphasize how it represents America. I could see that working with a minimal amount of work outside of what they are already planning in terms of projects.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    How much would OLC want from this supposed deal? Maybe a percentage of the Disneyland gate. That's what DCA kind of gets from its favorable geographic location and forced combined financial analysis.

From what I've read, the OLC's deal with Disney REQUIRES them to do things "The Disney Way," circa 1965 or so. Perhaps someone simply needs to remind TDA of the Disney Way. Starting with a certain pricing scheme.
    Go take a look at Tokyo Disney Resort's website, specifically at tickets. A multiday park does not become a park hopper until day three. I haven't confirmed if you have to do a different park each day, but it sort of sounds that way on the English site. Either way guest spending has been slowly decling and this past year attendence has made the same term.

Combining Disneyland and DCA as one park is a horrible idea. The layout and structure of Disneyland is innovative and the envy of the theme park world. It is my opinion that to destroy the hub and weenie layout is to destroy a critical part of Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    Not just no, but Hell No, thank you very much indeed.

DCA simply needs to be blended into DL proper. Knock down Innovations and there's a clean shot from Tomorrowland to the Tower of Terror. Just make it all one big park.
    no actualy innoventions is blocking the road right next to DL

you'd have to knock down Space Mountain to have a clean shot into DCA o_O

it just wouldn't blend and honestly it doesn't need to

Disneyland is already more then a one day park

DCA is about a half day park if your picky and run through it quickly with decent planning but it's still a great park for a tourist staying multiple days which was it's purpose

DCA shoudl stay how it is and continue to expand and add new rides

if you build into Timon you get a park that will be almost as big as DL if DIsney buy's the Candycane inn and takes it out you'll end up with a park that's larger then DL

you Californians are spoiled if you think DL isn't worth it as a standalone park try journeying around to other states

heck the closest park to me is Silverwood and I wish it were half the park DCA is

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Weve been on this rollercoaster so many times it's not funny.

The OLC has it's own problems, and would not survive one day in the Ammerican Market. The only reason the OLC has the Tokyo Park is it was easier for Disney to break into the Japanese market that way.

We need to change Disney, not sweep the problem under the rug by outsourcing and pay for it later, like Imagineering and Animation allready has.
    I dissagree

if I remeber the history right TDL got built because the OLC took the initative to get the plans passed through while Disney was undergoing huge changes in management (same time that non Disney hotels were starting to get built around WDW or at least the option was explored)

I do think that the OLC could survive in the american market on it's own with the money it spends if they had similar conditions as to what they had in Tokyo (location and the backing of WDI)

I do agree on the note of sweeping the problem under the rug

it's important to remeber outsourcing is done ussualy to save money and if Disney outsourced we'd likly get a cheeper and worse job done on everything not something better

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    TDLFAN! Calling TDLFAN!

It's the Oriental Land Company, not Tokyo. I don't think selling the park would help anything. I honestly don't think OLC is as great in freedom as people believe. ToT and Raging Spirits are not wholey original ideas. I also think the CMs and cleanliness has a LOT to do wih Japanese culture (I've hear a lot of Japan is similar). So you'd just have American kids up in arms over being "exploited".
    That is just a denial statement. TDL and Disney Sea are the best parks in the franchise. They also have the heart Walt Disney did and it is blindingly apparent in their workmanship. TOT may not be an original idea but they sure as hell made the best one exterior wise. Not only that but they took the time to actually make the story different. They add that additional 20-100 million more that makes an attraction AMAZING.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 05-26-2006 at 10:56 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Are you saying there is no attendence or spending drop? Spending on an attraction hardly means anything. The most expensive Tower of Terror is being financed by Euro Disney SCA. Experience and workmanship may be top notch at TDR (I've never been) but so was the workmanship behind Paris when it opened. Beautiful parks does not always equal expected returns.

• Having a Grand Day!

To me, this would go down as well as the BBC runing the PBS - two totaly different styles from two different countries clashing to create one mess of a broadcaster.

I honestly think that if the OLC wasn't bound by Contract, things would go downhill quickly at TDL - accounting is an issue that affects all companys, and something the OLC has had to find creative solutions for, some of which include screwing over it's workforce and putting conditions on it's tickets to force people to go into the two parks.

I'm sick of everybody treating them like a god. Also, joining the gates is a stupid idea that will create even more troubble for Disneyland, which has had to put up with a giant leech across the esplanade for 5 years.

• Banned User

Are you saying there is no attendence or spending drop? Spending on an attraction hardly means anything. The most expensive Tower of Terror is being financed by Euro Disney SCA. Experience and workmanship may be top notch at TDR (I've never been) but so was the workmanship behind Paris when it opened. Beautiful parks does not always equal expected returns.
    Did I mention ticket sales once in my paragraph? I said they make awesome attractions. If you do want to get into the discussion about ticket sales then all I have to say is location location location. Imagine if those parks were located in Anaheim.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Did I mention ticket sales once in my paragraph?
    No. But please explain what I am denying.

I honestly think that if the OLC wasn't bound by Contract, things would go downhill quickly at TDL - accounting is an issue that affects all companys, and something the OLC has had to find creative solutions for, some of which include screwing over it's workforce and putting conditions on it's tickets to force people to go into the two parks.
    I agree. The whole culture clash seems to come up a good bit with DLP discussion, and I think for a reason.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Did I mention ticket sales once in my paragraph? I said they make awesome attractions. If you do want to get into the discussion about ticket sales then all I have to say is location location location. Imagine if those parks were located in Anaheim.
    OLC does not make attractions, WDI does. The same people who make every other park. So if any selling should be done it should be Parks and Resorts to a more independent WDI (which I probably would be in favor of).

Even then, it isn't location. Tokyo Disneyland used to be top dog worldwide with 16 million visitors a year. Now the park brings in about 13 million.

• Banned User

OLC does not make attractions, WDI does. The same people who make every other park. So if any selling should be done it should be Parks and Resorts to a more independent WDI (which I probably would be in favor of).

Even then, it isn't location. Tokyo Disneyland used to be top dog worldwide with 16 million visitors a year. Now the park brings in about 13 million.
    What does that prove? I was saying if those parks were exact duplicates in CA, they would exceed the 16 million mark. No one cares or even knows who runs the operation so what does the OLC have to do with affecting ticket sales? It has everything and more to do with location. Not only that but quality as well factored into the equation. That is why if they transported that quality here the attendance would swell.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

has everything and more to do with location.
    Then why such a massive drop at Tokyo Disneyland?

• Banned User

Then why such a massive drop at Tokyo Disneyland?
    Due to Japanese people not being as obsessed as Americans with Disney. They don't understand it like we do. As a matter a fact a good number of Tokyo Disney's people are tourists from America. We are probably just seeing a drop in tourism.

• Having a Grand Day!

Due to Japanese people not being as obsessed as Americans with Disney. They don't understand it like we do. As a matter a fact a good number of Tokyo Disney's people are tourists from America. We are probably just seeing a drop in tourism.
    This obviously coming from a person who hasn't been to Japan.

They are not as obsessed as Americans - their obsession in certain area's put's us to shame! It however drops off as soon as you start to talk to them about the non-cute areas of Disney (EPOCT, Walt & Roy, etc.)...

(B.T.W Disneyfreak, the Parking Lot Closed in 1998)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast